Intensive Care Medicine

, Volume 33, Issue 5, pp 841–844

Abdominal ultrasound in the intensive care unit: a 3-year survey on 400 patients

  • Doris Schacherer
  • Frank Klebl
  • Daniela Goetz
  • Roland Buettner
  • Stephanie Zierhut
  • Juergen Schoelmerich
  • Julia Langgartner
Brief Report

DOI: 10.1007/s00134-007-0577-3

Cite this article as:
Schacherer, D., Klebl, F., Goetz, D. et al. Intensive Care Med (2007) 33: 841. doi:10.1007/s00134-007-0577-3

Abstract

Objective

This study analyzed 400 ultrasound examinations in the ICU to assess the indications of this imaging modality.

Design and setting

Retrospective analysis on prospectively collected data on 400 patients in a tertiary care hospital.

Patients and participants

The observational, prospective, clinical study examined 400 bedside abdominal ultrasound examinations performed in the ICU, of which 2% were performed emergently, 56% urgently, and 42% electively.

Measurements and results

Environmental conditions impaired the examination slightly in 54%, moderately in 27%, and severely in 4%. Total time per study ranged from 1 to 45 min (median 10). New pathological findings were detected in 31% while 33% confirmed already known pathologies. In 53% there was no therapeutic consequence, in 27% treatment was continued based on the sonographic findings, in 10% an intervention was necessary, in 6% other therapeutic changes followed, and in 4% additional evaluation was deemed necessary. In 80% no other imaging test had to be performed.

Conclusions

Ultrasound studies are deemed sufficient in a large proportion of patients and help to avoid other, more elaborate imaging studies. However, more focused indications for studies may help to improve cost-effectiveness.

Keywords

UltrasoundSonographyImagingICU setting

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 2007

Authors and Affiliations

  • Doris Schacherer
    • 1
  • Frank Klebl
    • 1
  • Daniela Goetz
    • 1
  • Roland Buettner
    • 1
  • Stephanie Zierhut
    • 1
  • Juergen Schoelmerich
    • 1
  • Julia Langgartner
    • 1
  1. 1.Department of Internal Medicine IUniversity of RegensburgRegensburgGermany