Causes of death among diabetic patients in Denmark
To study the distribution of causes of death in the Danish population, and its variation by diabetes status, sex, age and calendar year as well as the years of life lost from the specific causes of death.
Persons aged 30–98 years were followed from 1995 to 2008 by linkage of Danish registers. Poisson regression was used to model cause-specific mortality rates by age and calendar time for each specific cause of death, according to sex and diabetes status. The mortality rates were also modelled as a function of age and birth cohort. We computed the distribution of causes of death and years of life lost from specific causes of death due to diabetes.
During the 14-year study period, patients with diabetes contributed 2.3 million person-years of follow-up and 124,210 deaths, whereas persons without diabetes contributed 45.1 million person-years and 648,020 deaths. The mortality was higher among individuals with diabetes, and the mortality ratio (diabetes vs no diabetes) decreased with age and for all causes and cardiovascular diseases also by calendar time. The effect of sex on the association between diabetes and mortality varied with age and cause of death. About 9 years of life were lost to diabetes at age 30 years, and 3 years at age 70 years.
Age-specific mortality is higher among people with diabetes, and rate ratios vary with age, sex, calendar period and cause of death. The distribution of causes of death was similar for persons with and without diabetes.
- Dawson, SI, Willis, J, Florkowski, CM, Scott, RS (2008) Cause-specific mortality in insulin-treated diabetic patients: a 20-year follow-up. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 80: pp. 16-23 CrossRef
- Guzder, RN, Gatling, W, Mullee, MA, Byrne, CD (2007) Early mortality from the time of diagnosis of type 2 diabetes: a 5-year prospective cohort study with a local age- and sex-matched comparison cohort. Diabet Med 24: pp. 1164-1167 CrossRef
- Jansson, SP, Andersson, DK, Svardsudd, K (2010) Mortality trends in subjects with and without diabetes during 33 years of follow-up. Diabetes Care 33: pp. 551-556 CrossRef
- Koskinen, SV, Reunanen, AR, Martelin, TP, Valkonen, T (1998) Mortality in a large population-based cohort of patients with drug-treated diabetes mellitus. Am J Public Health 88: pp. 765-770 CrossRef
- Swerdlow, AJ, Jones, ME (1996) Mortality during 25 years of follow-up of a cohort with diabetes. Int J Epidemiol 25: pp. 1250-1261 CrossRef
- Diabetes mellitus, fasting glucose, and risk of cause-specific death. N Engl J Med 364: pp. 829-841 CrossRef
- Weiderpass, E, Gridley, G, Nyren, O, Pennello, G, Landstrom, AS, Ekbom, A (2001) Cause-specific mortality in a cohort of patients with diabetes mellitus: a population-based study in Sweden. J Clin Epidemiol 54: pp. 802-809 CrossRef
- Morrish, NJ, Wang, SL, Stevens, LK, Fuller, JH, Keen, H (2001) Mortality and causes of death in the WHO Multinational Study of Vascular Disease in Diabetes. Diabetologia 44: pp. S14-S21 CrossRef
- Patterson, CC, Dahlquist, G, Harjutsalo, V (2007) Early mortality in EURODIAB population-based cohorts of type 1 diabetes diagnosed in childhood since 1989. Diabetologia 50: pp. 2439-2442 CrossRef
- Green, A, Hougaard, P (1984) Epidemiological studies of diabetes mellitus in Denmark. 5. Mortality and causes of death among insulin-treated diabetic patients. Diabetologia 26: pp. 190-194
- Allemann, S, Saner, C, Zwahlen, M, Christ, ER, Diem, P, Stettler, C (2009) Long-term cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular mortality in women and men with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a 30-year follow-up in Switzerland. Swiss Med Wkly 139: pp. 576-583
- Soedamah-Muthu, SS, Fuller, JH, Mulnier, HE, Raleigh, VS, Lawrenson, RA, Colhoun, HM (2006) All-cause mortality rates in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus compared with a non-diabetic population from the UK general practice research database, 1992–1999. Diabetologia 49: pp. 660-666 CrossRef
- CPR-Kontoret (2010) Om CPR-området. Available from www.cpr.dk/cpr/site.aspx?p=16, accessed 25 November 2010.
- Sundhedsstyrelsen (2010) Registerdekleration for Dødsårsagsregistret. Available from www.sst.dk/Indberetning%20og%20statistik/Doedsaarsagsregisteret.aspx, accessed 20 October 2010.
- Carstensen, B, Kristensen, JK, Ottosen, P, Borch-Johnsen, K (2008) The Danish National Diabetes Register: trends in incidence, prevalence and mortality. Diabetologia 51: pp. 2187-2196 CrossRef
- Sundhedsstyrelsen (2010) Registerdeklaration for Det Nationale Diabetesregister. Available from www.sst.dk/~/media/Indberetning%20og%20statistik/Sundhedsstyrelsens%20registre/Registerdeklarationer/registerdeklaration%20det%20nationale%20diabetesregister.ashx, accessed 20 October 2010.
- Skrivarhaug, T, Bangstad, HJ, Stene, LC, Sandvik, L, Hanssen, KF, Joner, G (2006) Long-term mortality in a nationwide cohort of childhood-onset type 1 diabetic patients in Norway. Diabetologia 49: pp. 298-305 CrossRef
- The International Diabetes Federation (2006) The Diabetes Atlas, 3rd edn. Available from www.diabetesatlas.org/sites/default/files/IDF%20Diabetes%20Atlas-2007%20(3rd%20edition).pdf, accessed 6 November 2010.
- Indenrigs- og Sundhedsministeriet (2002) Sund hele livet – de nationale mål og strategier for folkesundheden 2002–10. Indenrigs- og Sundhedsministeriet.
- Handlingsplan om diabetes. Indenrigs- og Sundhedsministeriet, Copenhagen
- Statistikbanken (2011) Nøgletal om befolkningen. Available from www.statistikbanken.dk/statbank5a/default.asp?w=1024, accessed 3 March 2011.
- Cheng, WS, Wingard, DL, Kritz-Silverstein, D, Barrett-Connor, E (2008) Sensitivity and specificity of death certificates for diabetes: as good as it gets?. Diabetes Care 31: pp. 279-284 CrossRef
- Andersson, DK, Svardsudd, K (1994) The value of death certification statistics in measuring mortality in persons with diabetes. Scand J Prim Health Care 12: pp. 114-120 CrossRef
- Gu, K, Cowie, CC, Harris, MI (1998) Mortality in adults with and without diabetes in a national cohort of the U.S. population, 1971–1993. Diabetes Care 21: pp. 1138-1145 CrossRef
- Morgan, CL, Currie, CJ, Peters, JR (2000) Relationship between diabetes and mortality: a population study using record linkage. Diabetes Care 23: pp. 1103-1107 CrossRef
- Sprafka, JM, Pankow, J, McGovern, PG, French, LR (1993) Mortality among type 2 diabetic individuals and associated risk factors: the Three City Study. Diabet Med 10: pp. 627-632 CrossRef
- Martin, LM, Leff, M, Calonge, N, Garrett, C, Nelson, DE (2000) Validation of self-reported chronic conditions and health services in a managed care population. Am J Prev Med 18: pp. 215-218 CrossRef
- Okura, Y, Urban, LH, Mahoney, DW, Jacobsen, SJ, Rodeheffer, RJ (2004) Agreement between self-report questionnaires and medical record data was substantial for diabetes, hypertension, myocardial infarction and stroke but not for heart failure. J Clin Epidemiol 57: pp. 1096-1103 CrossRef
- Shah, BR, Manuel, DG (2008) Self-reported diabetes is associated with self-management behaviour: a cohort study. BMC Health Serv Res 8: pp. 142 CrossRef
- Kristensen, JK, Drivsholm, TB, Carstensen, B, Steding-Jensen, M, Green, A (2007) Validation of methods to identify known diabetes on the basis of health registers. Ugeskr Laeger 169: pp. 1687-1692
- Maclaine, GD, Macarthur, EB, Heathcote, CR (1992) A comparison of death certificates and autopsies in the Australian Capital Territory. Med J Aust 156: pp. 462-468
- Ravakhah, K (2006) Death certificates are not reliable: revivification of the autopsy. South Med J 99: pp. 728-733 CrossRef
- Roulson, J, Benbow, EW, Hasleton, PS (2005) Discrepancies between clinical and autopsy diagnosis and the value of post mortem histology: a meta-analysis and review. Histopathology 47: pp. 551-559 CrossRef
- Sington, JD, Cottrell, BJ (2002) Analysis of the sensitivity of death certificates in 440 hospital deaths: a comparison with necropsy findings. J Clin Pathol 55: pp. 499-502 CrossRef
- Larsen, ST, Lynnerup, N (2011) Medico-legal autopsies in Denmark. Dan Med Bull 58: pp. A4247
- Borch-Johnsen, K Diabetes. In: Kjøller, M, Juel, K, Kamper-Jørgensen, F eds. (2007) Folkesundhedsrapporten Danmark 2007. Copenhagen, Statens Institut for Folkesundhed, pp. 151-158
- Raymond, NT, Langley, JD, Goyder, E, Botha, JL, Burden, AC, Hearnshaw, JR (1995) Insulin treated diabetes mellitus: causes of death determined from record linkage of population based registers in Leicestershire, UK. J Epidemiol Community Health 49: pp. 570-574 CrossRef
- Green, A, Kyvik, KO Epidemiologi. In: Hilsted, J, Borch-Johnsen, K, Christensen, JS eds. (2007) Diabetes. Copenhagen, Munksgaard Danmark, pp. 36-46
- Causes of death among diabetic patients in Denmark
Volume 55, Issue 2 , pp 294-302
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Causes of death
- Years of life lost
- Industry Sectors