Long-term effects of insulin glargine on the risk of breast cancer
There have been growing concerns regarding the long-term effects of insulin glargine (A21Gly,B31Arg,B32Arg human insulin) on the risk of breast cancer.
We used the UK’s General Practice Research Database (GPRD) to identify a cohort of women aged 40 years or over with type 2 diabetes, treated with insulin during 2002–2006 and followed until the first breast cancer diagnosis or 31 December 2009. After the users of insulin glargine had been matched with users of other insulins on age, calendar time and duration of prior insulin use, the HR of breast cancer associated with insulin glargine use was estimated using a Cox proportional hazards model, adjusted for known risk factors for breast cancer.
The cohort comprised 15,227 women, including 4,579 glargine users and 10,648 users of other insulins, of which 246 developed breast cancer during up to 8 years follow-up (incidence rate 4.1 per 1,000 per year). Insulin glargine use was not associated with an increased risk of breast cancer during the first 5 years of use (HR 0.9; 95% CI 0.7–1.3). The risk tended to increase after 5 years (HR 1.8; 95% CI 0.8–4.0), and significantly so for the women who had been on insulin before starting glargine (HR 2.7; 95% CI 1.1–6.5).
The risk of breast cancer in women with type 2 diabetes is not increased during the first 5 years of insulin glargine use. However, longer-term use may increase this risk, particularly in women with longstanding use of insulin before starting insulin glargine.
- Werner, H, Weinstein, D, Bentov, I (2008) Similarities and differences between insulin and IGF-I: structures, receptors, and signalling pathways. Arch Physiol Biochem 114: pp. 17-22 CrossRef
- Kurtzhals, P, Schaffer, L, Sorensen, A (2000) Correlations of receptor binding and metabolic and mitogenic potencies of insulin analogs designed for clinical use. Diabetes 49: pp. 999-1005 CrossRef
- Sommerfeld, MR, Muller, G, Tschank, G (2010) In vitro metabolic and mitogenic signaling of insulin glargine and its metabolites. PLoS ONE 5: pp. e9540 CrossRef
- Baserga, R (1999) The IGF-I receptor in cancer research. Exp Cell Res 253: pp. 1-6 CrossRef
- Mayer, D, Chantelau, E (2010) Treatment with insulin glargine (Lantus) increases the proliferative potency of the serum of patients with type-1 diabetes: a pilot study on MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Arch Physiol Biochem 116: pp. 73-78 CrossRef
- Hemkens, LG, Grouven, U, Bender, R (2009) Risk of malignancies in patients with diabetes treated with human insulin or insulin analogues: a cohort study. Diabetologia 52: pp. 1732-1744 CrossRef
- Colhoun, HM (2009) Use of insulin glargine and cancer incidence in Scotland: a study from the Scottish Diabetes Research Network Epidemiology Group. Diabetologia 52: pp. 1755-1765 CrossRef
- Jonasson, JM, Ljung, R, Talback, M, Haglund, B, Gudbjornsdottir, S, Steineck, G (2009) Insulin glargine use and short-term incidence of malignancies: a population-based follow-up study in Sweden. Diabetologia 52: pp. 1745-1754 CrossRef
- Currie, CJ, Poole, CD, Gale, EA (2009) The influence of glucose-lowering therapies on cancer risk in type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 52: pp. 1766-1777 CrossRef
- Mannucci, E, Monami, M, Balzi, D (2010) Doses of insulin and its analogues and cancer occurrence in insulin-treated type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care 33: pp. 1997-2003 CrossRef
- Pocock, SJ, Smeeth, L (2009) Insulin glargine and malignancy: an unwarranted alarm. Lancet 374: pp. 511-513 CrossRef
- Hernandez-Diaz, S, Adami, HO (2010) Diabetes therapy and cancer risk: causal effects and other plausible explanations. Diabetologia 53: pp. 802-808 CrossRef
- US Department of Health & Human Services. Early communication about safety of Lantus (insulin glargine). MedWatch The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program (July 1, 2009). www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm169722.htm. Accessed 3 May 2011.
- European Medicines Agency update on safety of insulin glargine. European Medicines Agency (July 23, 2009). www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Press_release/2009/11/WC500010016.pdf. Accessed 3 May 2011.
- American Diabetes Association. Statement from the American Diabetes Association Related to Studies Published in 'Diabetologia'. NeLM news service (June 26, 2009). http://www.diabetes.org/for-media/2009/statement-from-the-american-2009-1.html. Accessed 3 May 2011.
- Home, PD, Lagarenne, P (2009) Combined randomised controlled trial experience of malignancies in studies using insulin glargine. Diabetologia 52: pp. 2499-2506 CrossRef
- Hemkens, LG, Grouven, U, Bender, R, Sawicki, PT (2010) Insufficient evaluation of adverse events is not a proof of safety. Diabetologia 53: pp. 790-792 CrossRef
- Walley, T, Mantgani, A (1997) The UK General Practice Research Database. Lancet 350: pp. 1097-1099 CrossRef
- Opatrny, L, Dell'Aniello, S, Assouline, S, Suissa, S (2008) Hormone replacement therapy use and variations in the risk of breast cancer. BJOG 115: pp. 169-175
- Bodmer, M, Meier, C, Krahenbuhl, S, Jick, SS, Meier, CR (2010) Long-term metformin use is associated with decreased risk of breast cancer. Diabetes Care 33: pp. 1304-1308 CrossRef
- Heinzl, H, Kaider, A, Zlabinger, G (1996) Assessing interactions of binary time-dependent covariates with time in cox proportional hazards regression models using cubic spline functions. Stat Med 15: pp. 2589-2601 CrossRef
- Yehezkel, E, Weinstein, D, Simon, M, Sarfstein, R, Laron, Z, Werner, H (2010) Long-acting insulin analogues elicit atypical signalling events mediated by the insulin receptor and insulin-like growth factor-I receptor. Diabetologia 53: pp. 2667-2675 CrossRef
- Law, JH, Habibi, G, Hu, K (2008) Phosphorylated insulin-like growth factor-i/insulin receptor is present in all breast cancer subtypes and is related to poor survival. Cancer Res 68: pp. 10238-10246 CrossRef
- Cox, ME, Gleave, ME, Zakikhani, M (2009) Insulin receptor expression by human prostate cancers. Prostate 69: pp. 33-40 CrossRef
- Lambe, M, Hsieh, C, Trichopoulos, D, Ekbom, A, Pavia, M, Adami, HO (1994) Transient increase in the risk of breast cancer after giving birth. N Engl J Med 331: pp. 5-9 CrossRef
- Welch, HG, Black, WC (1997) Using autopsy series to estimate the disease "reservoir" for ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: how much more breast cancer can we find?. Ann Intern Med 127: pp. 1023-1028
- Pollak, M (2008) Insulin and insulin-like growth factor signalling in neoplasia. Nat Rev Cancer 8: pp. 915-928 CrossRef
- Hansen, BF, Danielsen, GM, Drejer, K (1996) Sustained signalling from the insulin receptor after stimulation with insulin analogues exhibiting increased mitogenic potency. Biochem J 315: pp. 271-279
- Shukla, A, Grisouard, J, Ehemann, V, Hermani, A, Enzmann, H, Mayer, D (2009) Analysis of signaling pathways related to cell proliferation stimulated by insulin analogs in human mammary epithelial cell lines. Endocr Relat Cancer 16: pp. 429-441 CrossRef
- Jorgensen, L, Dideriksen, L, Drejen, K (1992) Carcinogenic effect of human insulin and B10Asp in female rats. Diabetologia 35: pp. A3
- Brange, J, Ribel, U, Hansen, JF (1988) Monomeric insulins obtained by protein engineering and their medical implications. Nature 333: pp. 679-682 CrossRef
- Dejgaard, A, Lynggaard, H, Rastam, J, Krogsgaard, TM (2009) No evidence of increased risk of malignancies in patients with diabetes treated with insulin detemir: a meta-analysis. Diabetologia 52: pp. 2507-2512 CrossRef
- Michels, KB, Solomon, CG, Hu, FB (2003) Type 2 diabetes and subsequent incidence of breast cancer in the Nurses' Health Study. Diabetes Care 26: pp. 1752-1758 CrossRef
- Singh, SR, Ahmad, F, Lal, A, Yu, C, Bai, Z, Bennett, H (2009) Efficacy and safety of insulin analogues for the management of diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis. CMAJ 180: pp. 385-397 CrossRef
- Horvath K, Jeitler K, Berghold A et al. Long-acting insulin analogues vs NPH insulin (human isophane insulin) for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD005613. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD005613.pub3
- Long-term effects of insulin glargine on the risk of breast cancer
Volume 54, Issue 9 , pp 2254-2262
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cohort studies
- Drug safety
- Insulin analogues
- Type 2 diabetes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Clinical Epidemiology, Lady Davis Research Institute, Jewish General Hospital, 3755 Cote Ste-Catherine, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3T 1E2
- 2. Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- 3. Department of Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
- 4. University Hospital Llandough, Cardiff, UK
- 5. Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK