Prediction of postpartum diabetes in women with gestational diabetes mellitus
We studied the incidence of postpartum diabetes after gestational diabetes mellitus and investigated biochemical and clinical predictors of postpartum diabetes.
We monitored 174 women with gestational diabetes by performing oral glucose tolerance tests during pregnancy as well as 1, 2 and 5 years postpartum. Women who developed impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes were compared with women who remained normoglycaemic at 5 years. Insulinogenic index, disposition index and HOMA-beta cell index were used to assess beta cell function; insulin resistance was estimated by HOMA index of insulin resistance.
At 5 years postpartum, 30% of the women had developed diabetes and 51% some form of abnormal glucose tolerance. Women who developed diabetes had higher fasting glucose and HbA1c during pregnancy than those who remained normoglycaemic. They also had lower HOMA-beta cell index, insulinogenic index and disposition index than the normoglycaemic women. HbA1c and fasting glucose during pregnancy as well as the number of previous pregnancies and family history of diabetes were independent predictors of postpartum diabetes. HbA1c ≥4.7% (Swedish Mono S) or ≥5.7% (National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program) and fasting blood glucose ≥5.2 mmol/l were associated with a four- to sixfold increased risk.
Among women with gestational diabetes mellitus, those at risk of future diabetes can be identified by HbA1c and fasting glucose values in the upper normal range during pregnancy. A family history of diabetes and previous pregnancies further increase this risk.
- Anderberg E, Kallen K, Berntorp K, Frid A, Aberg A (2007) A simplified oral glucose tolerance test in pregnancy: compliance and results. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 86:1432–1436 CrossRef
- Kim C, Newton KM, Knopp RH (2002) Gestational diabetes and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. Diabetes Care 25:1862–1868 CrossRef
- Ben-Haroush A, Yogev Y, Hod M (2004) Epidemiology of gestational diabetes mellitus and its association with type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med 21:103–113 CrossRef
- Dornhorst A, Rossi M (1998) Risk and prevention of type 2 diabetes in women with gestational diabetes. Diabetes Care 21(Suppl 2):B43–B49
- Lind T, Phillips PR (1991) Influence of pregnancy on the 75-g OGTT. A prospective multicenter study. The Diabetic Pregnancy Study Group of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes 40(Suppl 2):8–13
- Matthews DR, Hosker JP, Rudenski AS, Naylor BA, Treacher DF, Turner RC (1985) Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28:412–419 CrossRef
- Phillips DI, Clark PM, Hales CN, Osmond C (1994) Understanding oral glucose tolerance: comparison of glucose or insulin measurements during the oral glucose tolerance test with specific measurements of insulin resistance and insulin secretion. Diabet Med 11:286–292 CrossRef
- No authors listed (1999) Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Report of a WHO consultation. WHO, Geneva
- Jeppsson JO, Jerntorp P, Sundkvist G, Englund H, Nylund V (1986) Measurement of hemoglobin A1c by a new liquid-chromatographic assay: methodology, clinical utility, and relation to glucose tolerance evaluated. Clin Chem 32:1867–1872
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS (1972) Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18:499–502
- Tuomi T, Carlsson A, Li H et al (1999) Clinical and genetic characteristics of type 2 diabetes with and without GAD antibodies. Diabetes 48:150–157 CrossRef
- Hoelzel W, Weykamp C, Jeppsson JO et al (2004) IFCC reference system for measurement of hemoglobin A1c in human blood and the national standardization schemes in the United States, Japan, and Sweden: a method-comparison study. Clin Chem 50:166–174 CrossRef
- Metzger BE, Cho NH, Roston SM, Radvany R (1993) Prepregnancy weight and antepartum insulin secretion predict glucose tolerance five years after gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 16:1598–1605 CrossRef
- Schaefer-Graf UM, Buchanan TA, Xiang AH, Peters RK, Kjos SL (2002) Clinical predictors for a high risk for the development of diabetes mellitus in the early puerperium in women with recent gestational diabetes mellitus. Am J Obstet Gynecol 186:751–756 CrossRef
- Prediction of postpartum diabetes in women with gestational diabetes mellitus
Volume 53, Issue 3 , pp 452-457
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Beta cell dysfunction
- Disposition index
- Gestational diabetes mellitus
- Insulinogenic index
- Insulin resistance
- Postpartum diabetes
- Industry Sectors