Regulation of wingless-type MMTV integration site family (WNT) signalling in pancreatic islets from wild-type and obese mice
TCF7L2 is a type 2 diabetes susceptibility gene and downstream effector of canonical wingless-type MMTV integration site family (WNT) signalling. However, it is unknown whether this pathway is active in adult pancreatic islets in vivo, and whether it is regulated in obesity.
We analysed activation of endogenous WNT signalling in the endocrine pancreas from wild-type and obese mice (ob/ob) using a reporter transgene (Topgal). Regulation of WNT signalling was compared using gene chip experiments from isolated pancreatic islets. Activation of canonical WNT signalling in pancreatic islets and the mouse beta cell line MIN6 was measured using immunoblotting for cytosolic β-catenin.
Endogenous canonical WNT signalling was absent in the adult endocrine pancreas in both wild-type and obese mice. We identified WNT4 as an abundant WNT signalling molecule in adult pancreatic islets that is induced in two different insulin-resistant mouse models. Increased expression of WNT4 inhibited canonical WNT signalling in pancreatic islets and MIN6 cells.
Canonical WNT signalling is not active in adult beta cells in vivo. WNT4 provides a potential mechanism for suppression of canonical WNT signalling in obese mice.
- Pearson, ER (2009) Translating TCF7L2: from gene to function. Diabetologia 52: pp. 1227-1230 CrossRef
- Lyssenko, V, Lupi, R, Marchetti, P (2007) Mechanisms by which common variants in the TCF7L2 gene increase risk of type 2 diabetes. J Clin Invest 117: pp. 2155-2163 CrossRef
- Schäfer, SA, Tschritter, O, Machicao, F (2007) Impaired glucagon-like peptide-1-induced insulin secretion in carriers of transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene polymorphisms. Diabetologia 50: pp. 2443-2450 CrossRef
- Rulifson, IC, Karnik, SK, Heiser, PW (2007) Wnt signalling regulates pancreatic beta cell proliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: pp. 6247-6252 CrossRef
- Papadopoulou, S, Edlund, H (2005) Attenuated Wnt signalling perturbs pancreatic growth but not pancreatic function. Diabetes 54: pp. 2844-2851 CrossRef
- Dessimoz, J, Bonnard, C, Huelsken, J, Grapin-Botton, A (2005) Pancreas-specific deletion of beta-catenin reveals Wnt-dependent and Wnt-independent functions during development. Curr Biol 15: pp. 1677-1683 CrossRef
- Murtaugh, LC, Law, AC, Dor, Y, Melton, DA (2005) Beta-catenin is essential for pancreatic acinar but not islet development. Development 132: pp. 4663-4674 CrossRef
- Dabernat, S, Secrest, P, Peuchant, E, Moreau-Gaudry, F, Dubus, P, Sarvetnick, N (2009) Lack of beta-catenin in early life induces abnormal glucose homeostasis in mice. Diabetologia 52: pp. 1608-1617 CrossRef
- Welters, HJ, Kulkarni, RN (2008) Wnt signalling: relevance to beta-cell biology and diabetes. Trends Endocrinol Metab 19: pp. 349-355 CrossRef
- Akpinar, P, Kuwajima, S, Krützfeldt, J, Stoffel, M (2005) Tmem27: a cleaved and shed plasma membrane protein that stimulates pancreatic beta cell proliferation. Cell Metab 2: pp. 385-397 CrossRef
- Wolfrum, C, Asilmaz, E, Luca, E, Friedman, JM, Stoffel, M (2004) Foxa2 regulates lipid metabolism and ketogenesis in the liver during fasting and in diabetes. Nature 432: pp. 1027-1032 CrossRef
- Amerongen, R, Mikels, A, Nusse, R (2008) Alternative wnt signalling is initiated by distinct receptors. Sci Signal 1: pp. re9 CrossRef
- Schinner, S, Ulgen, F, Papewalis, C (2008) Regulation of insulin secretion, glucokinase gene transcription and beta cell proliferation by adipocyte-derived Wnt signalling molecules. Diabetologia 51: pp. 147-154 CrossRef
- Yi, F, Sun, J, Lim, GE, Fantus, IG, Brubaker, PL, Jin, T (2008) Cross talk between the insulin and Wnt signalling pathways: evidence from intestinal endocrine L cells. Endocrinology 149: pp. 2341-2351 CrossRef
- Regulation of wingless-type MMTV integration site family (WNT) signalling in pancreatic islets from wild-type and obese mice
Volume 53, Issue 1 , pp 123-127
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pancreatic islets
- Type 2 diabetes
- Industry Sectors