The association between the IFIH1 locus and type 1 diabetes
We set out to validate a recently reported type 1 diabetes association from the IFIH1 gene variation in an independent cohort from a population of mixed European descent.
We genotyped five single-nucleotide polymorphisms in the IFIH1 locus, i.e. rs2111485, rs1990760, rs3747517, rs17783344 and rs984971589, in 589 type 1 diabetes nuclear family trios (1,767 individuals).
This study independently replicated the reported genetic association using a family-based approach.
The reported type 1 diabetes association is from a linkage disequilibrium region including three candidate genes, i.e. FAP, IFIH1 and GCA. Further variant discovery and fine mapping could help clarify a novel type 1 diabetes mechanism.
- Smyth DJ, Cooper JD, Bailey R et al (2006) A genome-wide association study of nonsynonymous SNPs identifies a type 1 diabetes locus in the interferon-induced helicase (IFIH1) region. Nat Genet 38:617–619 CrossRef
- Kang DC, Gopalkrishnan RV, Wu Q, Jankowsky E, Pyle AM, Fisher PB (2002) mda-5: An interferon-inducible putative RNA helicase with double-stranded RNA-dependent ATPase activity and melanoma growth-suppressive properties. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:637–642 CrossRef
- Kato H, Takeuchi O, Sato S et al (2006) Differential roles of MDA5 and RIG-I helicases in the recognition of RNA viruses. Nature 441:101–105 CrossRef
- van der Werf N, Kroese FG, Rozing J, Hillebrands JL (2007) Viral infections as potential triggers of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 23:169–183 CrossRef
- Menser MA, Forrest JM, Bransby RD (1978) Rubella infection and diabetes mellitus. Lancet 1:57–60 CrossRef
- Haverkos HW, Battula N, Drotman DP, Rennert OM (2003) Enteroviruses and type 1 diabetes mellitus. Biomed Pharmacother 57:379–385 CrossRef
- Qu H-Q, Marchand L, Grabs R, Polychronakos C (2007) The IRF5 polymorphism in type 1 diabetes. J Med Genet 44:670–672 CrossRef
- Barrett JC, Fry B, Maller J, Daly MJ (2005) Haploview: analysis and visualization of LD and haplotype maps. Bioinformatics 21:263–265 CrossRef
- Horvath S, Xu X, Laird NM (2001) The family based association test method: strategies for studying general genotype–phenotype associations. Eur J Hum Genet 9:301–306 CrossRef
- Dudbridge F (2003) Pedigree disequilibrium tests for multilocus haplotypes. Genet Epidemiol 25:115–121 CrossRef
- Fassnacht M, Lee J, Milazzo C et al (2005) Induction of CD4(+) and CD8(+) T-cell responses to the human stromal antigen, fibroblast activation protein: implication for cancer immunotherapy. Clin Cancer Res 11:5566–5571 CrossRef
- Boyhan A, Casimir CM, French JK, Teahan CG, Segal AW (1992) Molecular cloning and characterization of grancalcin, a novel EF-hand calcium-binding protein abundant in neutrophils and monocytes. J Biol Chem 267:2928–2933
- The association between the IFIH1 locus and type 1 diabetes
Volume 51, Issue 3 , pp 473-475
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Autoimmune disease
- Genetic susceptibility
- Interferon induced with helicase C domain 1
- Transmission disequilibrium test
- Type 1 diabetes
- Picornavirus infection
- Single-nucleotide polymorphism
- Industry Sectors