Comparison of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of biphasic insulin aspart and insulin glargine in people with type 2 diabetes
The pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of biphasic insulin aspart (BIAsp 30) (30% soluble, 70% protaminated insulin aspart [IAsp]) and insulin glargine (IGlarg) were compared.
Twelve people with type 2 diabetes took part in two 24-h isoglycaemic clamp studies, 1 week apart. Patients were randomised to treatment with 0.5 U/kg of BIAsp 30 (0.25 U/kg at 08.30 h and 0.25 U/kg at 20.30 h) or 0.50 U/kg IGlarg at 08.30 h. Both insulins were given by subcutaneous injection into the anterior abdominal wall. The plasma glucose, glucose infusion rates, plasma insulin and C-peptide concentrations were measured.
All 12 patients were men; mean (±SD) age was 58.8 (8.9) years, BMI 31.0 (3.0) kg/m2 and HbA1c 7.1 (0.6)%. Plasma glucose was constant throughout the 24-h clamp period. After each injection of BIAsp 30, glucose infusion rates increased, reaching a distinct peak approximately 3–5 h after injection. A much flatter postinjection profile was observed following IGlarg administration. Plasma insulin concentrations rose rapidly after each injection of BIAsp 30, reaching a distinct peak after approximately 2–3 h. A flatter plasma insulin profile reached a plateau approximately 6–16 h after IGlarg administration. Plasma C-peptide fell below baseline after both injections of BIAsp 30 but remained unaltered after IGlarg injection.
The pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic profiles were 34 and 28%, respectively, higher following equivalent doses (0.5 U/kg) of BIAsp 30 given as two split doses than following IGlarg given as a single daily dose.
- Turner R, Cull C, Frighi V, Holman R (1999) Glycaemic control with diet, sulphonylureas, metformin, or insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes: progressive requirement for multiple therapies (UKPDS). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. JAMA 281:2005–2012 CrossRef
- UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group (1998) Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Lancet 352:837–853 CrossRef
- Nathan DM (2002) Initial management of glycaemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 347:1342–1349 CrossRef
- Owens DR, Zinman B, Boli GB (2001) Insulins today and beyond. Lancet 358:739–746 CrossRef
- Riddle MC, Rosenstock J, Gerich J, Insulin Glargine 4002 Study Investigators (2003) The treat-to-target trial: randomized addition of glargine or human NPH insulin to oral therapy of type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care 26:3080–3086 CrossRef
- Raskin P, Allen E, Hollander P, Lewin A, Gabbay RA, Hu P et al, INITIATE Study Group (2005) Initiating insulin therapy in type 2 diabetes: a comparison of biphasic and basal insulin analogs. Diabetes Care 28:260–265 CrossRef
- Janka HU, Plewe G, Riddle MC, Kliebe-Frisch C, Schweitzer MA, Yki-Jarvinen H (2005) Comparison of basal insulin added to oral agents versus twice-daily premixed insulin as initial insulin therapy for type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 28:254–259 CrossRef
- Owens DR (1986) Human insulin: clinical pharmacological studies in normal man. MTP Press, Lancaster, UK
- Hermansen K, Colombo M, Storgaard H et al (2002) Improved postprandial glycaemic control with biphasic insulin aspart relative to biphasic insulin lispro and biphasic human insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 25:883–888 CrossRef
- Lepore M, Pampanelli S, Fanelli C et al (2000) Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of subcutaneous injection of long-acting human insulin analog glargine, NPH insulin, and ultralente human insulin and continuous subcutaneous infusion of insulin lispro. Diabetes 49:2142–2148 CrossRef
- Kurtzhals P, Schäffer L, Sørensen A et al (2000) Correlations of receptor binding and metabolic and mitogenic potencies of insulin analogs designed for clinical use. Diabetes 49:999–1005 CrossRef
- Buchanan TA (2003) Pancreatic beta-cell loss and preservation in type 2 diabetes. Clin Ther 25(Suppl B):B32–B46 CrossRef
- Gerich JE (2003) Clinical significance, pathogenesis, and management of postprandial hyperglycaemia. Arch Intern Med 163:1306–1316 CrossRef
- The DECODE Study Group, on behalf of the European Diabetes Epidemiology Group (1999) Glucose tolerance and mortality: comparison of WHO and American Diabetes Association Diagnostic criteria, the DECODE Study Group, European Diabetes Epidemiology Group: diabetes epidemiology: collaborative analysis of diagnostic criteria in Europe. Lancet 354:617–621 CrossRef
- Comparison of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of biphasic insulin aspart and insulin glargine in people with type 2 diabetes
Volume 49, Issue 6 , pp 1163-1168
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Biphasic insulin aspart
- Insulin glargine
- Isoglycaemic clamp
- Type 2 diabetes
- Industry Sectors