Mean HbA1c over 18 years predicts carotid intima media thickness in women with type 1 diabetes
Intima media thickness (IMT) of the common carotid artery (CCA) is a validated surrogate marker of early atherosclerosis. The aim of our study was to assess the association between IMT in CCA and long-term mean HbA1c in type 1 diabetes. We also elucidated the association between carotid IMT and preclinical coronary atherosclerosis.
In 39 individuals with type 1 diabetes, HbA1c was measured prospectively over 18 years. The IMT examinations were performed with high-resolution ultrasound. The association between carotid IMT and preclinical coronary atherosclerosis (assessed by intravascular ultrasound [IVUS]) was tested in 29 of the patients.
Mean HbA1c over 18 years was 8.2% (range: 6.6–11.3%). Mean age at follow-up after 18 years was 43 years and mean duration of diabetes was 30 years. IMT was significantly higher in diabetic patients than in an age- and sex-matched reference population. The IMT values were at the same level as for controls who were 20 years older. In women, HbA1c was significantly associated with mean average CCA IMT (r 2=0.77, p<0.0001 when adjusted for age), whereas there was no significant association for men. Among women, a significant association was also found between carotid IMT and the percentage of coronary vessel area stenosis (r=0.65, p=0.03).
The present findings suggest an important role of long-term hyperglycaemia in the development of atherosclerosis, especially in women with type 1 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes patients have earlier development of, and more advanced, atherosclerosis compared with an age- and sex-matched reference population. In women, carotid IMT reflects preclinical coronary atherosclerosis.
- Hodis HN, Mack WJ, LaBree L, Selzer RH, Liu CR, Liu CH et al (1998) The role of carotid arterial intima-media thickness in predicting clinical coronary events. Ann Intern Med 128:262–269
- Jensen-Urstad KJ, Reichard PG, Rosfors JS, Lindblad LE, Jensen-Urstad MT (1996) Early atherosclerosis is retarded by improved long-term blood glucose control in patients with IDDM. Diabetes 45:1253–1258
- Nathan DM, Lachin J, Cleary P, Orchard T, Brillon DJ, Backlund JY et al (2003) Intensive diabetes therapy and carotid intima-media thickness in type 1 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 348:2294–2303 CrossRef
- Larsen J, Brekke M, Sandvik L, Arnesen H, Hanssen KF, Dahl-Jorgensen K (2002) Silent coronary atheromatosis in type 1 diabetic patients and its relation to long-term glycemic control. Diabetes 51:2637–2641
- Dahl-Jorgensen K, Brinchmann-Hansen O, Hanssen KF, Ganes T, Kierulf P, Smeland E et al (1986) Effect of near normoglycaemia for two years on progression of early diabetic retinopathy, nephropathy, and neuropathy: the Oslo study. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 293:1195–1199
- Stensland-Bugge E, Bonaa KH, Joakimsen O (2001) Age and sex differences in the relationship between inherited and lifestyle risk factors and subclinical carotid atherosclerosis: the Tromso study. Atherosclerosis 154(2):437–448 CrossRef
- Stensland-Bugge E, Bonaa KH, Joakimsen O (1997) Reproducibility of ultrasonographically determined intima-media thickness is dependent on arterial wall thickness. The Tromso study. Stroke 28:1972–1980
- Krolewski AS, Kosinski EJ, Warram JH, Leland OS, Busick EJ, Asmal AC et al (1987) Magnitude and determinants of coronary artery disease in juvenile-onset, insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol 59:750–755 CrossRef
- Laing SP, Swerdlow AJ, Slater SD, Burden AC, Morris A, Waugh NR et al (2003) Mortality from heart disease in a cohort of 23,000 patients with insulin-treated diabetes. Diabetologia 46:760–765 CrossRef
- Orchard TJ, Stevens LK, Forrest KY, Fuller JH (1998) Cardiovascular disease in insulin dependent diabetes mellitus: similar rates but different risk factors in the US compared with Europe. Int J Epidemiol 27:976–983 CrossRef
- Pajunen P, Taskinen MR, Nieminen MS, Syvanne M (2000) Angiographic severity and extent of coronary artery disease in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol 86:1080–1085 CrossRef
- Lloyd CE, Kuller LH, Ellis D, Becker DJ, Wing RR, Orchard TJ (1996) Coronary artery disease in IDDM. Gender differences in risk factors but not risk. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 16:720–726
- Mean HbA1c over 18 years predicts carotid intima media thickness in women with type 1 diabetes
Volume 48, Issue 4 , pp 776-779
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Coronary artery disease
- Glycaemic control
- Intima media thickness
- Macrovascular disease
- Type 1 diabetes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Diabetes Research Centre, Aker and Ulleval University Hospitals, Oslo, Norway
- 2. Ulleval University Hospital, 0407, Oslo, Norway
- 3. Aker University Hospital, Oslo, Norway