Induction of adiponectin gene expression in human myotubes by an adiponectin-containing HEK293 cell culture supernatant
Adiponectin, an adipocytokine known to be down-regulated in obesity-linked disorders, is considered to be a potential key mediator of insulin sensitivity. In this study, we asked whether adiponectin is able to regulate ten selected genes possibly associated with insulin sensitivity in human skeletal muscle cells.
To this end, we treated in vitro differentiated human myotubes with the culture supernatant of HEK293 cells stably transfected with human recombinant adiponectin and assessed gene expression by RT-PCR. Intracellular adiponectin protein was quantified by radioimmunoassay and visualized by Western blotting.
In contrast to the control supernatant, the adiponectin-containing supernatant consistently induced expression of adiponectin mRNA in human myotubes from eight different donors (mean increase: 90-fold over control; n=8, p<0.001). This increase in mRNA was paralleled by a rise in intracellular adiponectin protein (mean increase: 8.3-fold over control; n=4, p<0.05). Expression of the other nine candidate genes was not altered. In human skin fibroblasts and HepG2 cells, the adiponectin-enriched supernatant did not induce relevant amounts of adiponectin mRNA.
In conclusion, we show here that adiponectin gene expression is specifically inducible in skeletal muscle cells.
- Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Waki H et al. (2001) The fat-derived hormone adiponectin reverses insulin resistance associated with both lipoatrophy and obesity. Nat Med 7:941–946
- Berg AH, Combs TP, Scherer PE (2002) Acrp30/adiponectin: an adipokine regulating glucose and lipid metabolism. Trends Endocrinol Metab 13:84–89 CrossRef
- Berg AH, Combs TP, Du X et al. (2001) The adipocyte-secreted protein Acrp30 enhances hepatic insulin action. Nat Med 7:947–952
- Combs TP, Berg AH, Obici S et al. (2001) Endogenous glucose production is inhibited by the adipose-derived protein acrp30. J Clin Invest 108:1875–1881
- Fruebis J, Tsao TS, Javorschi S et al. (2001) Proteolytic cleavage product of 30-kDa adipocyte complement-related protein increases fatty acid oxidaton in muscle and causes weight loss in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98:2005–2010
- Maeda N, Shimomura I, Kishida K et al. (2002) Diet-induced insulin resistance in mice lacking adiponectin/Acrp30. Nat Med 8:731–737
- Fasshauer M, Klein J, Neumann S et al. (2002) Hormonal regulation of adiponectin gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 290:1084–1089 CrossRef
- Kappes A, Löffler G (2000) Influences of ionomycin, dibutyryl-cycloAMP and tumour necrosis factor-alpha on intracellular amount and secretion of apM1 in differentiating primary human preadipocytes. Horm Metab Res 32:548–554
- Halleux CM, Takahashi M, Delporte ML et al. (2001) Secretion of adiponectin and regulation of apM1 gene expression in human visceral adipose tissue. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 288:1102–1107
- Fasshauer M, Klein J, Neumann S et al. (2001) Adiponectin gene expression is inhibited by β-adrenergic stimulation via protein kinase A in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. FEBS Lett 507:142–146
- Delporte ML, Funahashi T, Takahashi M et al. (2002) Pre- and post-translational negative effect of β-adrenoceptor agonists on adiponectin secretion: in vitro and in vivo studies. Biochem J: electronic publication ahead of print
- Maeda N, Takahashi M, Funahashi T et al. (2001) PPARγ ligands increase expression and plasma concentrations of adiponectin, an adipose-derived protein. Diabetes 50:2094–2099
- Combs TP, Wagner JA, Berger J et al. (2002) Induction of adipocyte complement-related protein of 30 kilodaltons by PPARγ agonists: a potential mechanism of insulin sensitization. Endocrinology 143:998–1007
- Krützfeldt J, Kausch C, Volk A et al. (2000) Insulin signaling and action in cultured skeletal muscle cells from lean healthy humans with high and low insulin sensitivity. Diabetes 49:992–998
- Sly WS, Grubb J (1979) Protocol for skin biopsy and fibroblast isolation. Methods Enzymol 58:444–450
- Staiger H, Tschritter O, Kausch C et al. (2002) Human serum adiponectin levels are not under short-term negative control by free fatty acids in vivo. Horm Metab Res 34: 601–603 CrossRef
- Induction of adiponectin gene expression in human myotubes by an adiponectin-containing HEK293 cell culture supernatant
Volume 46, Issue 7 , pp 956-960
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- insulin sensitivity
- skeletal muscle cells
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- A2. Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Pathobiochemistry, Medical Clinic Tübingen, Eberhard-Karls-University, Tübingen, Germany
- A1. Department of Internal Medicine IV, Medical Clinic Tübingen, Otfried-Müller-Str. 10, 72076, Tübingen, Germany