Deep venous thrombosis following different isolated lower extremity fractures: what is known about prevalences, locations, risk factors and prophylaxis?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) offers a high risk of morbidity and mortality, especially in case of pulmonary embolism. Precise data as to DVT after isolated lower extremity fractures (ILEFs) are rare. Even organizations like the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons or the American College of Chest Physicians do not state exact recommendations as to optimal DVT prophylaxis (ppx) after ILEFs.
The incidence of DVT ranges from 5 to 86 % depending on the fracture whereas femur fractures offer the highest risk for clotting. The incidence seems to decrease in more distal fractures. Location: The risk to develop proximal clots is likely low, however, especially these are feared by surgeons. DVT can occur in both the injured and uninjured leg with a trend for higher incidences in the injured leg.
Risk factors for DVT after ILEF seem to be similar to risk factors for DVT development after orthopaedic surgery and in general. Risk factors caused by surgeons are the use of a tourniquet, prolonged operative time and a delay from injury to surgery.
Low molecular weight heparin is favoured by many authors, however, warfarin and acetylsalicylic acid are also used. Clear recommendations are still missing.
The rate of morbidity caused by DVT after ILEF is poorly understood so far. Exact data on prevalences are missing and optimal DVT prophylaxis still has to be defined.
- Ciccone WJ 2nd, Fox PS, Neumyer M, Rubens D, Parrish WM, Pellegrini VD Jr. Ultrasound surveillance for asymptomatic deep venous thrombosis after total joint replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998;80(8):1167–74.
- Garino JP, Lotke PA, Kitziger KJ, Steinberg ME. Deep venous thrombosis after total joint arthroplasty. The role of compression ultrasonography and the importance of the experience of the technician. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996;78(9):1359–65.
- Lotke PA, Palevsky H, Keenan AM, Meranze S, Steinberg ME, Ecker ML, Kelley MA. Aspirin and warfarin for thromboembolic disease after total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996;324:251–8. CrossRef
- Lotke PA, Steinberg ME, Ecker ML. Significance of deep venous thrombosis in the lower extremity after total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;299:25–30.
- Nillius AS, Nylander G. Deep vein thrombosis after total hip replacement: a clinical and phlebographic study. Br J Surg. 1979;66(5):324–6. CrossRef
- Robinson KS, Anderson DR, Gross M, Petrie D, Leighton R, Stanish W, Alexander D, Mitchell M, Flemming B, Gent M. Ultrasonographic screening before hospital discharge for deep venous thrombosis after arthroplasty: the post-arthroplasty screening study. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 1997;127(6):439–45. CrossRef
- Robinson KS, Anderson DR, Gross M, Petrie D, Leighton R, Stanish W, Alexander D, Mitchell M, Mason W, Flemming B, Fairhurst-Vaughan M, Gent M. Accuracy of screening compression ultrasonography and clinical examination for the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis after total hip or knee arthroplasty. Can J Surg. 1998;41(5):368–73.
- Geerts WH, Code KI, Jay RM, Chen E, Szalai JP. A prospective study of venous thromboembolism after major trauma. N Engl J Med. 1994;331(24):1601–6. CrossRef
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). AAOS clinical guideline on prevention of symptomatic pulmonary embolism (PE) in patients undergoing total hip or knee arthroplasty. 2007. http://www.aaos.org/news/bulletin/jul07/clinical3.asp.
- Geerts WH, Bergqvist D, Pineo GF, Heit JA, Samama CM, Lassen MR, Colwell CW; American College of Chest Physicians. Prevention of venous thromboembolism: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest. 2008;133(6 Suppl):381S–453S. CrossRef
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Venous thromboembolism: reducing the risk of venous thromboembolism (deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) in patients admitted to hospital. Clinical guidelines, CG92. London: NICE; 2010. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG92.
- Geerts WH, Pineo GF, Heit JA, Bergqvist D, Lassen MR, Colwell CW, Ray JG. Prevention of venous thromboembolism: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004;126(3 Suppl):338S–400S. CrossRef
- McKenna R, Bachmann F, Kaushal SP, Galante JO. Thromboembolic disease in patients undergoing total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1976;58(7):928–32.
- Johnson R, Carmichael JH, Almond HG, Loynes RP. Deep venous thrombosis following Charnley arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1978;132:24–30.
- Guyer RD, Booth RE Jr, Rothman RH. The detection and prevention of pulmonary embolism in total hip replacement. A study comparing aspirin and low-dose warfarin. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1982;64(7):1040–4.
- Huo MH, Salvati EA, Sharrock NE, Brien WW, Sculco TP, Pellicci PM, Mineo R, Go G. Intraoperative heparin thromboembolic prophylaxis in primary total hip arthroplasty. A prospective, randomized, controlled, clinical trial. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;274:35–46.
- Paiement GD, Schutzer SF, Wessinger SJ, Harris WH. Influence of prophylaxis on proximal venous thrombus formation after total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1992;7(4):471–5. CrossRef
- Paiement G, Wessinger SJ, Waltman AC, Harris WH. Low-dose warfarin versus external pneumatic compression for prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism following total hip replacement. J Arthroplasty. 1987;2(1):23–6. CrossRef
- Pellegrini VD Jr, Langhans MJ, Totterman S, Marder VJ, Francis CW. Embolic complications of calf thrombosis following total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1993;8(5):449–57. CrossRef
- Tørholm C, Broeng L, Jørgensen PS, Bjerregaard P, Josephsen L, Jørgensen PK, Hagen K, Knudsen JB. Thromboprophylaxis by low-molecular-weight heparin in elective hip surgery. A placebo controlled study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991;73(3):434–8.
- Turpie AG, Levine MN, Hirsh J, Carter CJ, Jay RM, Powers PJ, Andrew M, Hull RD, Gent M. A randomized controlled trial of a low-molecular-weight heparin (enoxaparin) to prevent deep-vein thrombosis in patients undergoing elective hip surgery. N Engl J Med. 1986;315(15):925–9. CrossRef
- Wells PS, Lensing AW, Davidson BL, Prins MH, Hirsh J. Accuracy of ultrasound for the diagnosis of deep venous thrombosis in asymptomatic patients after orthopedic surgery. A meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 1995;122(1):47–53. CrossRef
- Galasko CS, Edwards DH, Fearn CB, Barber HM. The value of low dosage heparin for the prophylaxis of thromboembolism in patients with transcervical and intertrochanteric femoral fractures. Acta Orthop Scand. 1976;47(3):276–82. CrossRef
- Montrey JS, Kistner RL, Kong AY, Lindberg RF, Mayfield GW, Jones DA, Mitsunaga MM. Thromboembolism following hip fracture. J Trauma. 1985;25(6):534–7. CrossRef
- Morris GK, Mitchell JR. Preventing venous thromboembolism in elderly patients with hip fractures: studies of low-dose heparin, dipyridamole, aspirin, and flurbiprofen. Br Med J. 1977;1(6060):535–7. CrossRef
- Sevitt S, Gallagher NG. Prevention of venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in injured patients. A trial of anticoagulant prophylaxis with phenindione in middle-aged and elderly patients with fractured necks of femur. Lancet. 1959;2(7110):981–9. CrossRef
- Smyrnis SA, Kolios AS, Agnantis JK. Deep-vein thrombosis in patients with fracture of the upper part of the femur. A phlebographic study. Br J Surg. 1973;60(6):447–50. CrossRef
- Abelseth G, Buckley RE, Pineo GE, Hull R, Rose MS. Incidence of deep-vein thrombosis in patients with fractures of the lower extremity distal to the hip. J Orthop Trauma. 1996;10(4):230–5. CrossRef
- Kudsk KA, Fabian TC, Baum S, Gold RE, Mangiante E, Voeller G. Silent deep vein thrombosis in immobilized multiple trauma patients. Am J Surg. 1989;158(6):515–9. CrossRef
- Haake DA, Berkman SA. Venous thromboembolic disease after hip surgery. Risk factors, prophylaxis, and diagnosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989;242:212–31.
- Sevitt S, Gallagher N. Venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. A clinico-pathological study in injured and burned patients. Br J Surg. 1961;48:475–89. CrossRef
- Douketis JD, Kearon C, Bates S, Duku EK, Ginsberg JS. Risk of fatal pulmonary embolism in patients with treated venous thromboembolism. JAMA. 1998;279(6):458–62. CrossRef
- Bagot CN, Arya R. Virchow and his triad: a question of attribution. Br J Haematol. 2008;143(2):180–90. CrossRef
- Storti S, Crucitti P, Cina G. Risk factors and prevention of venous thromboembolism. Rays. 1996;21(3):439–60.
- Allaart CF, Poort SR, Rosendaal FR, Reitsma PH, Bertina RM, Briët E. Increased risk of venous thrombosis in carriers of hereditary protein C deficiency defect. Lancet. 1993;341(8838):134–8. CrossRef
- Malm J, Laurell M, Nilsson IM, Dahlbäck B. Thromboembolic disease—critical evaluation of laboratory investigation. Thromb Haemost. 1992;68(1):7–13.
- Heijboer H, Brandjes DP, Büller HR, Sturk A, ten Cate JW. Deficiencies of coagulation-inhibiting and fibrinolytic proteins in outpatients with deep-vein thrombosis. N Engl J Med. 1990;323(22):1512–6. CrossRef
- Tabernero MD, Tomas JF, Alberca I, Orfao A, Lopez Borrasca A, Vicente V. Incidence and clinical characteristics of hereditary disorders associated with venous thrombosis. Am J Hematol. 1991;36(4):249–54. CrossRef
- Coon WW. Venous thromboembolism. Prevalence, risk factors, and prevention. Clin Chest Med. 1984;5(3):391–401.
- Knudson MM, Ikossi DG, Khaw L, Morabito D, Speetzen LS. Thromboembolism after trauma: an analysis of 1602 episodes from the American College of Surgeons National Trauma Data Bank. Ann Surg. 2004;240(3):490–6; discussion 496–8. CrossRef
- Norris CS, Greenfield LJ, Herrmann JB. Free-floating iliofemoral thrombus. A risk of pulmonary embolism. Arch Surg. 1985;120(7):806–8. CrossRef
- Radomski JS, Jarrell BE, Carabasi RA, Yang SL, Koolpe H. Risk of pulmonary embolus with inferior vena cava thrombosis. Am Surg. 1987;53(2):97–101.
- Hull RD, Hirsh J, Carter CJ, Jay RM, Dodd PE, Ockelford PA, Coates G, Gill GJ, Turpie AG, Doyle DJ, Buller HR, Raskob GE. Pulmonary angiography, ventilation lung scanning, and venography for clinically suspected pulmonary embolism with abnormal perfusion lung scan. Ann Intern Med. 1983;98(6):891–9. CrossRef
- Girard P, Musset D, Parent F, Maitre S, Phlippoteau C, Simonneau G. High prevalence of detectable deep venous thrombosis in patients with acute pulmonary embolism. Chest. 1999;116(4):903–8. CrossRef
- Kearon C. Natural history of venous thromboembolism. Circulation. 2003;107(23 Suppl 1):I22–30.
- Labropoulos N, Jen J, Jen H, Gasparis AP, Tassiopoulos AK. Recurrent deep vein thrombosis: long-term incidence and natural history. Ann Surg. 2010;251(4):749–53. CrossRef
- Douketis JD, Gu CS, Schulman S, Ghirarduzzi A, Pengo V, Prandoni P. The risk for fatal pulmonary embolism after discontinuing anticoagulant therapy for venous thromboembolism. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147(11):766–74. CrossRef
- Kahn SR. The post-thrombotic syndrome: progress and pitfalls. Br J Haematol. 2006;134(4):357–65. CrossRef
- Sheiman RG, Weintraub JL, McArdle CR. Bilateral lower extremity US in the patient with bilateral symptoms of deep venous thrombosis: assessment of need. Radiology. 1995;196(2):379–81.
- Lapidus L, de Bri E, Ponzer S, Elvin A, Norén A, Rosfors S. High sensitivity with color duplex sonography in thrombosis screening after ankle fracture surgery. J Thromb Haemost. 2006;4(4):807–12. CrossRef
- Cogo A, Lensing AW, Wells P, Prandoni P, Büller HR. Noninvasive objective tests for the diagnosis of clinically suspected deep-vein thrombosis. Haemostasis. 1995;25(1–2):27–39.
- Rose SC, Zwiebel WJ, Nelson BD, Priest DL, Knighton RA, Brown JW, Lawrence PF, Stults BM, Reading JC, Miller FJ. Symptomatic lower extremity deep venous thrombosis: accuracy, limitations, and role of color duplex flow imaging in diagnosis. Radiology. 1990;175(3):639–44.
- Atri M, Herba MJ, Reinhold C, Leclerc J, Ye S, Illescas FF, Bret PM. Accuracy of sonography in the evaluation of calf deep vein thrombosis in both postoperative surveillance and symptomatic patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996;166(6):1361–7. CrossRef
- Simons GR, Skibo LK, Polak JF, Creager MA, Klapec-Fay JM, Goldhaber SZ. Utility of leg ultrasonography in suspected symptomatic isolated calf deep venous thrombosis. Am J Med. 1995;99(1):43–7. CrossRef
- Yucel EK, Fisher JS, Egglin TK, Geller SC, Waltman AC. Isolated calf venous thrombosis: diagnosis with compression US. Radiology. 1991;179(2):443–6.
- Bongard O, Wicky J, Peter R, Simonovska S, Vogel JJ, de Moerloose P, Reber G, Bonameaux H. D-dimer plasma measurement in patients undergoing major hip surgery: use in the prediction and diagnosis of postoperative proximal vein thrombosis. Thromb Res. 1994;74(5):487–93. CrossRef
- Ginsberg JS, Brill-Edwards P, Panju A, Patel A, McGinnis J, Smith F, Dale I, Johnston M, Ofosu F. Pre-operative plasma levels of thrombin-antithrombin III complexes correlate with the development of venous thrombosis after major hip or knee surgery. Thromb Haemost. 1995;74(2):602–5.
- Cofrancesco E, Cortellaro M, Corradi A, Ravasi F, Bertocchi F. Coagulation activation markers in the prediction of venous thrombosis after elective hip surgery. Thromb Haemost. 1997;77(2):267–9.
- Cofrancesco E, Cortellaro M, Corradi A, Ravasi F, Bertocchi F. Clinical utility of prothrombin fragment 1+2, thrombin antithrombin III complexes and D-dimer measurements in the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis following total hip replacement. Thromb Haemost. 1998;79(3):509–10.
- Dunn ID, Hui AC, Triffitt PD, Crozier AE, Gregg PJ, Sinclair ME, Armstrong AL, Mitchell VE. Plasma D-dimer as a marker for postoperative deep venous thrombosis. A study after total hip or knee arthroplasty. Thromb Haemost. 1994;72(5):663–5.
- Crippa L, Ravasi F, D’Angelo SV, Varagona R, Milani E, Safa O, Tessari L, D’Angelo A. Diagnostic value of compression ultrasonography and fibrinogen-related parameters for the detection of postoperative deep vein thrombosis following elective hip replacement: a pilot study. Thromb Haemost. 1995;74(5):1235–9.
- Douketis JD, McGinnis J, Ginsberg JS. The clinical utility of a rapid bedside D-dimer assay for screening of deep vein thrombosis following orthopaedic surgery. Thromb Haemost. 1997;78(4):1300–1.
- Haentjens P. Thromboembolic prophylaxis in orthopaedic trauma patients: a comparison between a fixed dose and an individually adjusted dose of a low molecular weight heparin (nadroparin calcium). Injury. 1996;27(6):385–90. CrossRef
- Wenzl ME, Hasse W, Seide K, Wolter D. Prevention of thromboembolism with low-molecular-weight heparin in orthopedic surgery: a 5-year experience. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2004;10(1):1–4. CrossRef
- Hjelmstedt A, Bergvall U. Phlebographic study of the incidence of thrombosis in the injured and uninjured limb in 55 cases of tibial fracture. Acta Chir Scand. 1968;134(3):229–34.
- Goel DP, Buckley R, deVries G, Abelseth G, Ni A, Gray R. Prophylaxis of deep-vein thrombosis in fractures below the knee: a prospective randomised controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009;91(3):388–94.
- Maffulli N, Testa V, Capasso G. Use of a tourniquet in the internal fixation of fractures of the distal part of the fibula. A prospective, randomized trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993;75(5):700–3.
- Wang F, Wera G, Knoblich GO, Chou LB. Pulmonary embolism following operative treatment of ankle fractures: a report of three cases and review of the literature. Foot Ankle Int. 2002;23(5):406–10.
- Patil S, Gandhi J, Curzon I, Hui AC. Incidence of deep-vein thrombosis in patients with fractures of the ankle treated in a plaster cast. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89(10):1340–3.
- Lapidus LJ, Ponzer S, Elvin A, Levander C, Lärfars G, Rosfors S, de Bri E. Prolonged thromboprophylaxis with dalteparin during immobilization after ankle fracture surgery: a randomized placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Acta Orthop. 2007;78(4):528–35. CrossRef
- Weiss ES, Hayanga AJ, Efron DT, Noll K, Cornwell EE 3rd, Haut ER. Laterality of deep venous thrombosis among trauma patients: are we screening our patients adequately? J Surg Res. 2007;141(1):68–71. CrossRef
- Kujath P, Spannagel U, Habscheid W. Incidence and prophylaxis of deep venous thrombosis in outpatients with injury of the lower limb. Haemostasis. 1993;23(Suppl 1):20–6.
- Spannagel U, Kujath P. Low molecular weight heparin for the prevention of thromboembolism in outpatients immobilized by plaster cast. Semin Thromb Hemost. 1993;19(Suppl 1):131–41.
- Batra S, Kurup H, Gul A, Andrew JG. Thromboprophylaxis following cast immobilisation for lower limb injuries—survey of current practice in United Kingdom. Injury. 2006;37(9):813–7. CrossRef
- Appleby RD, Olds RJ. The inherited basis of venous thrombosis. Pathology. 1997;29(4):341–7. CrossRef
- Kujath P, Spannagel U, Habscheid W, Schindler G, Weckbach A. Thrombosis prevention in outpatients with lower limb injuries. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 1992;117(1):6–10. CrossRef
- Warlow C, Ogston D, Douglas AS. Deep venous thrombosis of the legs after strokes. Part I—incidence and predisposing factors. Br Med J. 1976;1:1178–81. CrossRef
- Patel A, Fuchs GJ. Air travel and thromboembolic complications after percutaneous nephrolithotomy for staghorn stone. J Endourol. 1998;12(1):51–3. CrossRef
- Cruickshank JM, Gorlin R, Jennett B. Air travel and thrombotic episodes: the economy class syndrome. Lancet. 1988;2(8609):497–8. CrossRef
- Rohrer MJ, Cutler BS, MacDougall E, Herrmann JB, Anderson FA Jr, Wheeler HB. A prospective study of the incidence of deep venous thrombosis in hospitalized children. J Vasc Surg. 1996;24(1):46–9; discussion 50. CrossRef
- Deep venous thrombosis following different isolated lower extremity fractures: what is known about prevalences, locations, risk factors and prophylaxis?
European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery
Volume 39, Issue 6 , pp 591-598
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Deep venous thrombosis
- DVT prophylaxis
- Isolated lower extremity fracture
- Risk factor