Prediction of immediate and long-term benefit after kyphoplasty of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures by preoperative MRI
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is unclear if an MR-detectable bone marrow edema is a prerequisite for pain reduction and morphological correction by kyphoplasty. This comparative trial evaluates clinical and radiomorphological outcomes after kyphoplasty of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures with and without preoperative MR-detectable bone marrow edema for 1 year of follow-up.
Preoperative MR-images of 45 patients who received kyphoplasty for treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures were evaluated with regard to presence (n = 27) or absence (n = 18) of vertebral bone marrow edema. Pain scores (VAS 0-100) and radiomorphological measures (midline vertebral height, kyphosis angle) were analysed at baseline, postoperatively and after 12 months.
In the “bone edema” group, pain scores improved from 72.7 to 46.8 (postoperative) and 48.0 (12 months, P < 0.001, both). In the group without preoperative bone edema, pain score improved from 70.7 to 60.3 (postoperative, P = 0.013) and to 50.1 (12 months, P = 0.001). Pain scores of both groups were significantly different directly postoperative (P = 0.026), but not after 12 months (P = 0.714). Vertebral height restoration was slightly greater in the “bone edema” group (10.2% vs. 7.8%, P = 0.289). Correction of the kyphosis angle was greater in the “bone edema” group (P = 0.014) compared to the “no bone edema” group (P = 0.838).
A preoperative MR-detectable vertebral bone marrow edema predicts a better short-term outcome after kyphoplasty, but is not a prerequisite for long-term pain reduction in patients with old, chronically painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures.
- Lieberman IH, Dudeney S, Reinhardt MK, Bell G. Initial outcome and efficacy of “kyphoplasty” in the treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Spine. 2001;26:1631–8. CrossRef
- Garfin SR, Yuan HA, Reiley MA. New technologies in spine: kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for the treatment of painful osteoporotic compression fractures. Spine. 2001;26:1511–5. CrossRef
- Berlemann U, Franz T, Orler R, Heini PF. Kyphoplasty for treatment of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a prospective non-randomized study. Eur. Spine J. 2004;13:496–501. CrossRef
- Coumans JV, Reinhardt MK, Lieberman ICH. Kyphoplasty for vertebral compression fractures: 1-year clinical outcomes from a prospective study. J. Neurosurg. 2003;99:44–50. CrossRef
- Taylor RS, Fritzell P, Taylor RJ. Balloon kyphoplasty in the management of vertebral compression fractures: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur. Spine J. 2007;16:1085–100. CrossRef
- Kasperk C, Hillmeier J, Noldge G, Grafe IA, Da Fonseca K, Raupp D, Bardenheuer H, Libicher M, Liegibel UM, Sommer U, Hilscher U, Pyerin W, Vetter M, Meinzer HP, Meeder PJ, Taylor RS, Nawroth P. Treatment of painful vertebral fractures by kyphoplasty in patients with primary osteoporosis: a prospective nonrandomized controlled study. J. Bone Miner. Res. 2005;20:604–12. CrossRef
- Grafe IA, Da Fonseca K, Hillmeier J, Meeder PJ, Libicher M, Noldge G, Bardenheuer H, Pyerin W, Basler L, Weiss C, Taylor RS, Nawroth P, Kasperk C. Reduction of pain and fracture incidence after kyphoplasty: 1-year outcomes of a prospective controlled trial of patients with primary osteoporosis. Osteoporos. Int. 2005;16:2005–12. CrossRef
- Pham T, Azulay-Parrado J, Champsaur P, Chagnaud C, Legré V, Lafforgue P. “Occult” osteoporotic vertebral fractures: vertebral body fractures without radiologic collapse. Spine. 2005;30:2430–5. CrossRef
- Yang X, Mi S, Mahadevia AA, Lin X, Shi W, Liu A, Li L, Wu Z, Murphy K. Pain reduction in osteoporotic patients with vertebral pain without measurable compression. Neuroradiology. 2008;50:153–9. CrossRef
- Phillips FM, Ho E, Campbell-Hupp M, McNally T, Todd WF, Gupta P. Early radiographic and clinical results of balloon kyphoplasty for the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Spine. 2003;28:2260–5. CrossRef
- Rhyne A III, Banit D, Laxer E, Odum S, Nussman D. Kyphoplasty: report of eighty-two thoracolumbar osteoporotic vertebral fractures. J. Orthop. Trauma. 2004;18:294–9. CrossRef
- Ledlie JT, Renfro MB. Kyphoplasty treatment of vertebral fractures: 2-year outcomes show sustained benefits. Spine. 2006;31:57–64. CrossRef
- Watts NB, Harris ST, Genant HK. Treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures with percutaneous vertebroplasty or kyphoplasty. Osteoporos. Int. 2001;12:429–37. CrossRef
- Spiegl U, Beisse R, Hauck S, Grillhösl A, Bühren V. Value of MRI imaging prior to a kyphoplasty for osteoporotic insufficiency fractures. Eur. Spine J. 2009;18:1287–92. CrossRef
- Knop C, Oeser M, Bastian L, Lange U, Zdichavsky M, Blauth M. Development and validation of the Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) Spine Score. Unfallchirurg. 2001;104:488–97. CrossRef
- Kasperk C, Grafe IA, Schmitt S, Nöldge G, Weiss C, Da Fonseca K, Hillmeier J, Libicher M, Sommer U, Rudofsky G, Meeder PJ, Nawroth P. Three-year outcomes after kyphoplasty in patients with osteoporosis with painful vertebral fractures. J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 2010;21:701–9. CrossRef
- Tanigawa N, Komemushi A, Kariya S, Kojima H, Shomura Y, Ikeda K, Omura N, Murakami T, Sawada S. Percutaneous vertebroplasty: relationship between vertebral body bone marrow edema pattern on MR images and initial clinical response. Radiology. 2006;239:195–200. CrossRef
- Voormolen MH, van Rooij WJ, Sluzewski M, van der Graaf Y, Lampmann LE, Lohe PN, Juttmann JR. Pain response in the first trimester after percutaneous vertebroplasty in patients with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures with or without bone marrow edema. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2006;27:1579–85.
- Maynard AS, Jensen ME, Schweickert PA, Marx WF, Short JG, Kallmes DF. Value of bone scan imaging in predicting pain relief from percutaneous vertebroplasty in osteoporotic vertebral fractures. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2000;21:1807–12.
- Brown DB, Glaiberman CB, Gilula LA, Shimony JS. Correlation between preprocedural MRI findings and clinical outcomes in the treatment of chronic symptomatic vertebral compression fractures with percutaneous vertebroplasty. AJR Am. J. Roentgenol. 2005;184:1951–5.
- Crandall D, Slaughter D, Hankins PJ, Moore C, Jerman J. Acute versus chronic vertebral compression fractures treated with kyphoplasty: early results. Spine J. 2004;4:418–24. CrossRef
- Prediction of immediate and long-term benefit after kyphoplasty of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures by preoperative MRI
European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery
Volume 37, Issue 4 , pp 379-386
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Vertebral fracture
- Bone marrow edema
- Back pain
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Osteology, Department of Medicine I and Clinical Chemistry, Ruprecht-Karls-University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
- 2. Department of Radiology, University of Heidelberg, INF 410, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
- 3. Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, INF 410, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
- 4. Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, INF 410, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany