Magnetic Resonance Imaging Appearance of Primary Spinal Extradural Ewing’s Sarcoma: Case Report and Literature Review
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Primary spinal extradural Ewing’s sarcoma (PSEES) or primitive neuroectodermal tumor (PNET) is uncommon. The present study summarizes the magnetic resonance (MR) imaging appearance of PSEES.
Literature search from 1994 to 2012 with our representative case presentation.
Twenty-one patients, 12 males and 9 females, aged 3 weeks to 44 years, were identified. The thoracic spine was most frequently affected, followed by the cervical, cervicothoracic, and thoracolumbar spine. Superior–inferior extension of lesions was three vertebral levels in 7, two in 7, five in 4, four in 1, one in 1 and unknown in 1. PSEESs appeared isointense in 9 cases, hypointense in 2, hyperintense in 1, and no description in 9 on T1-weighted imaging, while hyperintense in 6, hypointense in 3, heterogeneous in 1, and no description in 11 on T2-weighted imaging. Varying enhancement was noted in 13 cases (62 %), with no description of contrast study in the other 8 cases. Dumbbell-shaped configuration of PSEES was found in 5 cases, foraminal widening in 4, and erosions or scalloping of the adjacent vertebral bodies in 4.
The MR imaging appearance of PSEESs is indistinguishable from other tumors. PSEES should be assumed as the differential diagnosis of spinal extradural tumors in pediatric, adolescent, and young adult patients, and prompt surgical exploration should be performed.
- Weiss SW, Goldblum JR. Extraskeletal Ewing’s sarcoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor family. In: Weiss SW, Goldblum JR, editors. Enzinger and Weiss’s soft tissue tumors. 5th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 2007. pp. 963–79.
- Saeedinia S, Nouri M, Alimohammadi M, Moradi H, Amirjamshidi A. Primary spinal extradural Ewing’s sarcoma (primitive neuroectodermal tumor): report of a case and meta-analysis of the reported cases in the literature. Surg Neurol Int. 2012;3:55. CrossRef
- Shin JH, Lee HK, Rhim SC, Cho KG, Choi CG, Suh DC. Spinal epidural extraskeletal Ewing sarcoma. MR findings in two cases. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2001;22:795–8.
- Yasuda T, Suzuki K, Kanamori M, Hori T, Huang D, Bridge JA, Kimura T. Extraskeletal Ewing’s sarcoma of the thoracic epidural space: case report and review of the literature. Oncol Rep. 2011;26:711–5.
- Kaspers GJ, Kamphorst W, van de Graaff M, van Alphen HA, Veerman AJ. Primary spinal epidural extraosseous Ewing’s sarcoma. Cancer. 1991;68:648–54. CrossRef
- Allam K, Sze G. MR of primary extraosseous Ewing sarcoma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1994;15:305–7.
- Ban SP, Park SH, Wang KC, Cho BK, Phi JH, Lee JY, Kim SK. Congenital paraspinal Ewing sarcoma family of tumors with an epidural extension. J Clin Neurosci. 2010;17:1599–601. CrossRef
- Gandhi D, Goyal M, Belanger E, Modha A, Wolffe J, Miller W. Primary epidural Ewing’s sarcoma: case report and review of literature. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2003;54:109–13.
- Harimaya K, Oda Y, Matsuda S, Tanaka K, Chuman H, Iwamoto Y. Primitive neuroectodermal tumor and extraskeletal Ewing sarcoma arising primarily around the spinal column: report of four cases and a review of the literature. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003;28:E408–12. CrossRef
- Hsieh CT, Chiang YH, Tsai WC, Sheu LF, Liu MY. Primary spinal epidural Ewing sarcoma: a case report and review of the literature. Turk J Pediatr. 2008;50:282–6.
- Kennedy JG, Eustace S, Caufield R, Fennelly DJ, Hurson B, O’Rourke KS. Extraskeletal Ewing’s sarcoma: a case report and review of the literature. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000;25:1996–9. CrossRef
- Kogawa M, Asazuma T, Iso K, Koike Y, Domoto H, Aida S, Fujikawa K. Primary cervical spinal epidural extra-osseous Ewing’s sarcoma. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2004;146:1051–3. CrossRef
- Mukhopadhyay P, Gairola M, Sharma M, Thulkar S, Julka P, Rath G. Primary spinal epidural extraosseous Ewing’s sarcoma: report of five cases and literature review. Australas Radiol. 2001;45:372–9. CrossRef
- Ozturk E, Mutlu H, Sonmez G, Vardar Aker F, Cinar Basekim C, Kizilkaya E. Spinal epidural extraskeletal Ewing sarcoma. J Neuroradiol. 2007;34:63–7. CrossRef
- Siami-Namini K, Shuey-Drake R, Wilson D, Francel P, Perry A, Fung KM. A 15-year-old female with progressive myelopathy. Brain Pathol. 2005;15:265–7. CrossRef
- Theeler BJ, Keylock J, Yoest S, Forouhar M. Ewing’s sarcoma family tumors mimicking primary central nervous system neoplasms. J Neurol Sci. 2009;284:186–9. CrossRef
- Uehara S, Oue T, Yoneda A, Hashii Y, Ohta H, Fukuzawa M. Dumbbell-shaped Ewing’s sarcoma family of tumor of thoracic spine in a child. Pediatr Surg Int. 2008;24:953–5. CrossRef
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Appearance of Primary Spinal Extradural Ewing’s Sarcoma: Case Report and Literature Review
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 81-85
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Ewing’s sarcoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurological Surgery, Juntendo University Urayasu Hospital, 2-1-1 Tomioka, 279-0021, Urayasu, Chiba, Japan
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, St. Lukes International Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Department of Neurological Surgery, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan