Pipeline Embolization Device for Intracranial Aneurysm: A Systematic Review
The pipeline embolization device (PED) is a new endovascular stent designed for the treatment of challenging intracranial aneurysms (IAs). Its use has been extended to nonruptured and ruptured IAs of a variety of configurations and etiologies in both the anterior and posterior circulations.
We conducted a systematic review of ten eligible reports on its clinical efficacy and safety.
There were 414 patients with 448 IAs. The majority of the IAs were large (40.2 %), saccular or blister-like (78.3 %), and were located mostly in the anterior circulation (83.5 %). The regimens of antiplatelet therapy varied greatly between and within studies. The mean number of the PED used was 2.0 per IA. Deployment was successful in around 95 % of procedures. Aneurysm obliteration was achieved in 82.9 % of IAs at 6-month. The overall incidences of periprocedural intracranial vascular complication rate and mortality rate were 6.3 and 1.5 %, respectively.
The PED is a safe and effective treatment for nonruptured IAs. Its use in the context of acute subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) should be cautioned. Its main limitations include the need for prolonged antiplatelet therapy, as well as the potential risks of IA rupture and non-IA-related intracerebral hemorrhages (ICH). Future studies should aim at identifying factors that predispose to incomplete obliteration, delayed rupture, and thromboembolic complications.
- Ferns, SP, Sprengers, ME, van Rooij, WJ, Rinkel, GJ, van Rijn, JC, Bipat, S (2009) Coiling of intracranial aneurysms: a systematic review on initial occlusion and reopening and retreatment rates. Stroke 40: pp. e523-9 CrossRef
- Seibert, B, Tummala, RP, Chow, R, Faridar, A, Mousavi, SA, Divani, AA (2011) Intracranial aneurysms: review of current treatment options and outcomes. Front Neurol 2: pp. 45
- Lubicz, B, Collignon, L, Lefranc, F, Bruneau, M, Brotchi, J, Baleriaux, D (2008) Circumferential and fusiform intracranial aneurysms: reconstructive endovascular treatment with self-expandable stents. Neuroradiology 50: pp. 499-507 CrossRef
- Pierot, L, Cognard, C, Anxionnat, R, Ricolfi, F (2012) Endovascular treatment of ruptured intracranial aneurysms: factors affecting midterm quality anatomic results: analysis in a prospective, multicenter series of patients (CLARITY). AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 33: pp. 1475-80 CrossRef
- Gonzalez, NR, Duckwiler, G, Jahan, R, Murayama, Y, Vinuela, F (2008) Challenges in the endovascular treatment of giant intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery 62: pp. 1324-35
- Pierot, L (2011) Flow diverter stents in the treatment of intracranial aneurysms: where are we. J Neuroradiol 38: pp. 40-6 CrossRef
- Fiorella, D, Kelly, ME, Albuquerque, FC, Nelson, PK (2009) Curative reconstruction of a giant midbasilar trunk aneurysm with the pipeline embolization device. Neurosurgery 64: pp. 212-7 CrossRef
- Fiorella, D, Woo, HH, Albuquerque, FC, Nelson, PK (2008) Definitive reconstruction of circumferential, fusiform intracranial aneurysms with the pipeline embolization device. Neurosurgery 62: pp. 1115-20 CrossRef
- Lylyk, P, Miranda, C, Ceratto, R, Ferrario, A, Scrivano, E, Luna, HR (2009) Curative endovascular reconstruction of cerebral aneurysms with the pipeline embolization device: the Buenos Aires experience. Neurosurgery 64: pp. 632-42 CrossRef
- Kallmes, DF, Ding, YH, Dai, D, Kadirvel, R, Lewis, DA, Cloft, HJ (2007) A new endoluminal, flow-disrupting device for treatment of saccular aneurysms. Stroke 38: pp. 2346-52 CrossRef
- Cook, DJ, Guyatt, GH, Laupacis, A, Sackett, DL (1992) Rules of evidence and clinical recommendations on the use of antithrombotic agents. Chest 102: pp. 305S
- Food and Drug Administration. Summary of safety and effectivenss data. PED. 2012. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cftopic/pma/pma.cfm?num.810001p=. Accessed 18 Aug 2012.
- Lubicz, B, Collignon, L, Raphaeli, G, Witte, O (2011) Pipeline flow-diverter stent for endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms: preliminary experience in 20 patients with 27 aneurysms. World Neurosurg 76: pp. 114-9 CrossRef
- McAuliffe, W, Wenderoth, JD (2012) Immediate and midterm results following treatment of recently ruptured intracranial aneurysms with the pipeline embolization device. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 33: pp. 487-93 CrossRef
- McAuliffe, W, Wycoco, V, Rice, H, Phatouros, C, Singh, TJ, Wenderoth, J (2012) Immediate and midterm results following treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms with the pipeline embolization device. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 33: pp. 164-70 CrossRef
- Nelson, PK, Lylyk, P, Szikora, I, Wetzel, SG, Wanke, I, Fiorella, D (2011) The pipeline embolization device for the intracranial treatment of aneurysms trial. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32: pp. 34-40
- Szikora, I, Berentei, Z, Kulcsar, Z, Marosfoi, M, Vajda, ZS, Lee, W (2010) Treatment of intracranial aneurysms by functional reconstruction of the parent artery: the Budapest experience with the pipeline embolization device. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31: pp. 1139-47 CrossRef
- De Barros Faria, M, Castro, RN, Lundquist, J, Scrivano, E, Ceratto, R, Ferrario, A (2011) The role of the pipeline embolization device for the treatment of dissecting intracranial aneurysms. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32: pp. 2192-5 CrossRef
- Fischer, S, Vajda, Z, Aguilar Perez, M, Schmid, E, Hopf, N, Bazner, H (2012) Pipeline embolization device (PED) for neurovascular reconstruction: initial experience in the treatment of 101 intracranial aneurysms and dissections. Neuroradiology 54: pp. 369-82 CrossRef
- Food and Drug Administration. COCOA 2010 Annual Report. 2010. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/MedicalDevices/MedicalDevicesAdvisoryCommittee/NeurologicalDevicesPanel/UCM247158.pdf. Accessed 18 Aug 2012.
- Deutschmann, HA, Wehrschuetz, M, Augustin, M, Niederkorn, K, Klein, GE (2011) Long-term follow-up after treatment of intracranial aneurysms with the pipeline embolization device: results from a single center. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 33: pp. 481-6 CrossRef
- Puffer, RC, Kallmes, DF, Cloft, HJ, Lanzino, G (2012) Patency of the ophthalmic artery after flow diversion treatment of paraclinoid aneurysms. J Neurosurg 116: pp. 892-6 CrossRef
- Cebral, JR, Mut, F, Raschi, M, Scrivano, E, Ceratto, R, Lylyk, P (2011) Aneurysm rupture following treatment with flow-diverting stents: computational hemodynamics analysis of treatment. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32: pp. 27-33
- Chan, TT, Chan, KY, Pang, PK, Kwok, JC (2011) Pipeline embolisation device for wide-necked internal carotid artery aneurysms in a hospital in Hong Kong: preliminary experience. Hong Kong Med J 17: pp. 398-404
- Chow, M, McDougall, C, O, C, Ashforth, R, Johnson, E, Fiorella, D (2012) Delayed spontaneous rupture of a posterior inferior cerebellar artery aneurysm following treatment with flow diversion: a clinicopathologic study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 33: pp. E46-51 CrossRef
- Consoli, A, Nappini, S, Renieri, L, Limbucci, N, Ricciardi, F, Mangiafico, S (2012) Treatment of two blood blister-like aneurysms with flow diverter stenting. J Neurointerv Surg 4: pp. e4 CrossRef
- Consoli A, Renieri L, Nappini S, Ricciardi F, Grazzini G, Scarpini G, et al. Endovascular treatment with ‘kissing’ flow diverter stents of two unruptured aneurysms at a fenestrated vertebrobasilar junction. J Neurointerv Surg. 2012. doi:10.1136/neurintsurg-2011-010188.
- Fiorella, D, Albuquerque, F, Gonzalez, F, McDougall, CG, Nelson, PK (2010) Reconstruction of the right anterior circulation with the Pipeline embolization device to achieve treatment of a progressively symptomatic, large carotid aneurysm. J Neurointerv Surg 2: pp. 31-7 CrossRef
- Fiorella, D, Hsu, D, Woo, HH, Tarr, RW, Nelson, PK (2010) Very late thrombosis of a pipeline embolization device construct: case report. Neurosurgery 67: pp. E313-4
- Fiorella, D, Lylyk, P, Szikora, I, Kelly, ME, Albuquerque, FC, McDougall, CG (2009) Curative cerebrovascular reconstruction with the Pipeline embolization device: the emergence of definitive endovascular therapy for intracranial aneurysms. J Neurointerv Surg 1: pp. 56-65 CrossRef
- Hampton, T, Walsh, D, Tolias, C, Fiorella, D (2011) Mural destabilization after aneurysm treatment with a flow-diverting device: a report of two cases. J Neurointerv Surg 3: pp. 167-71 CrossRef
- Kulcsar, Z, Houdart, E, Bonafe, A, Parker, G, Millar, J, Goddard, AJ (2011) Intra-aneurysmal thrombosis as a possible cause of delayed aneurysm rupture after flow-diversion treatment. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32: pp. 20-5
- Kulcsar, Z, Wetzel, SG, Augsburger, L, Gruber, A, Wanke, I, Rufenacht, DA (2010) Effect of flow diversion treatment on very small ruptured aneurysms. Neurosurgery 67: pp. 789-93 CrossRef
- Martin, AR, Cruz, JP, Matouk, CC, Spears, J, Marotta, TR (2012) The pipeline flow-diverting stent for exclusion of ruptured intracranial aneurysms with difficult morphologies. Neurosurgery 70: pp. 21-8
- Narata, AP, Yilmaz, H, Schaller, K, Lovblad, KO, Pereira, VM (2012) Flow diverter stent for ruptured intracranial dissecting aneurysm of vertebral artery. Neurosurgery 70: pp. 982-8 CrossRef
- Van Rooij, WJ, Sluzewski, M (2010) Perforator infarction after placement of a pipeline flow-diverting stent for an unruptured A1 aneurysm. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31: pp. E43-4 CrossRef
- Velat, GJ, Fargen, KM, Lawson, MF, Hoh, BL, Fiorella, D, Mocco, J (2011) Delayed intraparenchymal hemorrhage following pipeline embolization device treatment for a giant recanalized ophthalmic aneurysm. J Neurointerv Surg 4: pp. e24 CrossRef
- Yeung, TW, Lai, V, Lau, HY, Poon, WL, Tan, CB, Wong, YC (2012) Long-term outcome of endovascular reconstruction with the Pipeline embolization device in the management of unruptured dissecting aneurysms of the intracranial vertebral artery. J Neurosurg 116: pp. 882-7 CrossRef
- Byrne, JV, Beltechi, R, Yarnold, JA, Birks, J, Kamran, M (2010) Early experience in the treatment of intra-cranial aneurysms by endovascular flow diversion: a multicentre prospective study. PLoS One 5: pp. e12492 CrossRef
- Pistocchi, S, Blanc, R, Bartolini, B, Piotin, M (2012) Flow diverters at and beyond the level of the circle of willis for the treatment of intracranial aneurysms. Stroke 43: pp. 1032-8 CrossRef
- Wagner, A, Cortsen, M, Hauerberg, J, Romner, B, Wagner, MP (2012) Treatment of intracranial aneurysms. Reconstruction of the parent artery with flow-diverting (Silk) stent. Neuroradiology 54: pp. 709-18 CrossRef
- Aletich, VA, Debrun, GM, Misra, M, Charbel, F, Ausman, JI (2000) The remodeling technique of balloon-assisted Guglielmi detachable coil placement in wide-necked aneurysms: experience at the University of Illinois at Chicago. J Neurosurg 93: pp. 388-96 CrossRef
- Fargen, KM, Velat, GJ, Lawson, MF, Mocco, J, Hoh, BL (2012) A review of reported complications associated with the pipeline embolization device. World Neurosurg 77: pp. 403-4 CrossRef
- Sambu, N, Radhakrishnan, A, Dent, H, Calver, AL, Corbett, S, Gray, H (2012) Personalised antiplatelet therapy in stent thrombosis: observations from the clopidogrel resistance in stent thrombosis (CREST) registry. Heart 98: pp. 706-11 CrossRef
- Haraguchi, K, Miyachi, S, Izumi, T, Matsubara, N, Naito, T, Asai, T (2012) Resistance to antiplatelet agents assessed by a point-of-care platelet function test and thromboembolic adverse events in neurointervention. No Shinkei Geka 40: pp. 399-406
- Lee, DH, Arat, A, Morsi, H, Shaltoni, H, Harris, JR, Mawad, ME (2008) Dual antiplatelet therapy monitoring for neurointerventional procedures using a point-of-care platelet function test: a single-center experience. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 29: pp. 1389-94 CrossRef
- Bodily, KD, Cloft, HJ, Lanzino, G, Fiorella, DJ, White, PM, Kallmes, DF (2011) Stent-assisted coiling in acutely ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a qualitative, systematic review of the literature. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32: pp. 1232-6 CrossRef
- Shapiro, M, Babb, J, Becske, T, Nelson, PK (2008) Safety and efficacy of adjunctive balloon remodeling during endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms: a literature review. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 29: pp. 1777-81 CrossRef
- Pipeline Embolization Device for Intracranial Aneurysm: A Systematic Review
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 295-303
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cerebral aneurysm
- Endovascular treatment
- Flow diverter
- Pipeline embolization device
- Industry Sectors