Comment on: Use of MR Venography for Characterization of the Extracranial Venous System in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis and Healthy Control Subjects
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Is Multiple Sclerosis a Disease of the Cerebrospinal Venous Outflow System?
In their paper “Use of MR Venography for Characterization of the Extracranial Venous System in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis and Healthy Control Subjects”, published in Radiology, Zivadinov et al.  report no significant differences in morphologic features of flow in the internal jugular veins and vertebral veins between multiple sclerosis (MS) patients and healthy control (HC) subjects in any magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) venographic parameter. A total of 57 patients including 41 (72%) with relapsing-remitting MS, 16 (28%) with secondary progressive MS and 21 HC subjects were imaged with a 3-Tesla MRI unit using two-dimensional (2D) time-of-flight (TOF) and three-dimensional (3D) time-resolved imaging of contrast kinetics (TRICKS) sequences. Additionally, 6 MS patients and 6 HC subjects underwent two MRI venographic examinations during 1 week to assure image-reimage reproducibility.
Multiple sclerosis is ...
- Zivadinov R, Lopez-Soriano A, Weinstock-Guttman B, Schirda CV, Magnano CR, Dolic K, Kennedy CL, Brooks CL, Reuther JA, Hunt K, Andrews M, Dwyer MG, Hojnacki DW. Use of magnetic resonance venography for characterization of the extra-cranial venous system in patients with multiple sclerosis and healthy controls. Radiology. 2011;285:562–70. CrossRef
- Frohman EM, Racke MK, Raine CS. Multiple sclerosis—the plaque and its pathogenesis. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:942–55. CrossRef
- McFarland HF, Martin R. Multiple sclerosis: a complicated picture of autoimmunity. Nat Immunol. 2007;9:913–9. CrossRef
- Zamboni P, Galeotti R, Menegatti E, Malagoni AM, Tacconi G, Dall’Ara S, Bartolomei I, Salvi F. Chronic cerebrospinal venous insuffiency in patients with multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009;80:392–9. CrossRef
- Zamboni P, Menegatti E, Galeotti R, Malagoni AM, Tacconi G, Dall’Ara S, Bartolomei I, Salvi F. The value of cerebral Doppler venous hemodynamics in the assessment of multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Sci. 2009;282:21–7. CrossRef
- Bartolomei I, Salvi F, Galeotti R, Salviato E, Alcanterini M, Menegatti E, Mascalchi M, Zamboni P. Hemodynamic patterns of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis. Correlations with symptoms at onset and clinical course. Int Angiol. 2010;29:183–8.
- Singh AV, Zamboni P. Anomalous venous blood flow and iron deposition in multiple sclerosis. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2009;29:1867–78. CrossRef
- Zivadinov R, Schirda C, Dwyer MG, Haake ME, Weinstock-Guttman B, Menegatti E, et al. Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency and iron deposition on susceptibility-weighted imaging in patients with multiple sclerosis: a pilot case-control study. Int Angiol. 2010;29:158–75.
- Doepp F, Paul F, Valdueza JM, Schmierer K, Schreiber SJ. No cerebro-cervical venous congestion in patients with multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2010;68:173–83.
- Wattjes MP, van Oosten BW, de Graaf WL, Seewann A, Bot JC, Van Den Berg R, Uitdehaag BM, Polman CH, Barkhof F. No association of abnormal cranial venous system drainage with multiple sclerosis: a MR venography and flow-quantification study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010. doi:10.1136/jnnp.2010.223479.
- Khan O, Filippi M, Freedman MS, Barkhof F, Dore-Duffy P, Lassmann H, Trapp B, Bar-Or A, Zak I, Siegel MJ, Lisak R. Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency and multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2010;67:286–90. CrossRef
- Samson K. Experimental multiple sclerosis vascular shunting procedure halted at Stanford. Ann Neurol. 2010;1:A13–5. CrossRef
- Comment on: Use of MR Venography for Characterization of the Extracranial Venous System in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis and Healthy Control Subjects
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 41-42
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links