Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial screening of hybrid molecules containing benzimidazole-pyrazole and pyridine nucleus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The rising prevalence of multi-drug resistant Gram-positive, Gram-negative bacteria and fungi continues to provide momentum for search and development of novel active antimicrobial agents against these pathogens. In continuation to this, the present article deals with the synthesis and antimicrobial activity of a novel series of (3-(1H-benzo[d]imidazol-2-yl)-5-(aryl)-4,5-dihydro-1H-pyrazol-1-yl)(pyridin-4-yl)methanones 4a–n, synthesized by the reaction of benzimidazolyl chalcones with isoniazide 3. The structures of synthesized compounds were elucidated on the basis of IR, NMR, and mass spectra. The newly synthesized compounds 4a–n were screened for their antimicrobial activity against different strains of bacteria and fungi using serial broth dilution method. Compounds 4d, 4f, 4h, and 4g were found to be most active with MIC of 25 μg/mL against selected bacterial strains. Compounds 4c, 4g, and 4n were found to be most active with MIC of 100 μg/mL against selected fungal strains.
- Al-Bayati, FA, Al-Mola, HF (2008) Antibacterial and antifungal activities of different parts of Tribulus terrestris L. growing in Iraq. J Zhenjiang 9: pp. 154-159
- Amir, M, Kumar, S (2005) Synthesis and anti-inflammatory, analgesic, ulcerogenic and lipid peroxidation activities of 3,5-dimethyl pyrazoles, 3-methyl pyrazol-5-ones and 3,5-disubstituted pyrazolines. Indian J Chem 44B: pp. 2532-2537
- Beaulieu, PL, Bousquet, Y, Gauthier, J, Gillard, J, Marquis, M, McKercher, G, Pellerin, C, Valois, S, Kukolj, G (2004) Non-nucleoside benzimidazole-based allosteric inhibitors of the hepatitis C virus NS5B polymerase: inhibition of subgenomic hepatitis C virus RNA replicons in Huh-7 cells. J Med Chem 47: pp. 6884-6892 CrossRef
- Bekhit, AA, Ashour, HMA, Guemei, AA (2005) Novel pyrazole derivatives as potential promising anti-inflammatory antimicrobial agents. Arch Pharm 338: pp. 167-174 CrossRef
- Bringmann, G, Reichert, Y, Kane, VV (2004) The total synthesis of streptonigrin and related antitumor antibiotic natural products. Tetrahedron 60: pp. 3539-3574 CrossRef
- Desai, NC, Dodiya, AM, Kumar, M, Bhatt, N (2010) Dimeric 2-(2-chlorophenyl)-quinazolin-4-ones as potential antimicrobial agents. Med Chem Res.
- Desai, NC, Chhabria, MT, Dodiya, AM, Bhavsar, AM (2010) Synthesis, characterization, anticancer activity, and QSAR-studies of some new tetrahydropyrimidines. Med Chem Res.
- Desai, NC, Dodiya, AM, Makwana, AH (2011) Antimicrobial screening of novel synthesized benzimidazole nucleus containing 4-oxo-thiazolidine derivatives. Med Chem Res.
- Desai, NC, Dodiya, AM, Shihora, PN (2011) A clubbed quinazolinone and 4-thiazolidinone as potential antimicrobial agents. Med Chem Res.
- Desai NC, Maheta AS, Rajpara KM, Joshi VV, Vaghani HV, Satodiya HM (2011c) Green synthesis of novel quinoline based imidazole derivatives and evaluation of their antimicrobial activity. J Saudi Chem Soc. doi:10.1016/j.jscs.2011.11.021
- Desai, NC, Dodiya, AM, Shihory, NR (2011) A search of novel antimicrobial based on benzimidazole and 2-pyridone heterocycles. Med Chem Res.
- Desai, NC, Dodiya, A, Rajpara, KM, Rupala, YM (2011) Synthesis and antimicrobial screening of 1,3,4-oxadiazole and clubbed thiophene derivatives. J Saudi Chem Soc.
- Finegold, SM, Garrod, L (1995) Bailey and Scott’s diagnostic microbiology, Chap 13. C.V. Mosby, Toronto
- Garuti, L, Roberti, M, Malagoli, M, Rossi, T, Castelli, M (2000) Synthesis and antiproliferative activity of some benzimidazole-4,7-dione derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 10: pp. 2193-2195 CrossRef
- Gatta, L, Perna, F, Figura, N, Ricci, C, Holton, J, D’Anna, L, Miglioli, M, Vaira, D (2003) Antimicrobial activity of esomeprazole versus omperazole against Helicobacter pylori. J Antimicrob Chemother 51: pp. 439-442 CrossRef
- Goker, H, Kus, C, Boykin, DW, Yildiz, S, Altanlar, N (2002) Synthesis of some new 2-substituted-phenyl-1H-benzimidazole-5-carbonitriles and their potent activity against Candida species. Bioorg Med Chem 10: pp. 2589-2596 CrossRef
- Jat, RK, Jat, JL, Pathak, DP (2006) Synthesis of benzimidazole derivatives as anti-hypertensive agents. E J Chem 3: pp. 278-282 CrossRef
- Kalirajan, R, Rathore, L, Jubie, S, Gowramma, B, Gomathy, S, Sankar, S (2011) Microwave assisted synthesis of some novel pyrazole substituted benzimidazole and evaluation of their biological activity. Indian J Chem 50B: pp. 1794-1799
- Kees, KL, Fitzgerald, JJ, Steiner, KE, Mattes, JF, Mihan, B, Tosi, T, Mondoro, D, McCaleb, ML (1996) New potent antihyperglycemic agents in db/db mice: synthesis and structure-activity relationship studies of (4-substitutedbenzyl)(trifluoromethyl) pyrazoles and –pyrazolones. J Med Chem 39: pp. 3920-3928 CrossRef
- Krchnak, V, Holladay, MW (2002) Solid phase heterocyclic chemistry. Chem Rev 102: pp. 61-92 CrossRef
- Kus, C, Ayhan-Kilcigil, G, Can Eke, B, Iscan, M (2004) Synthesis and antioxidant properties of some novel benzimidazole derivatives on lipid peroxidation in the rat liver. Arch Pharm Res 27: pp. 156-163 CrossRef
- Lazer, ES, Matteo, MR, Possanza, GJ (1987) Benzimidazole derivatives with a typical antiinflammatory activity. J Med Chem 30: pp. 726-729 CrossRef
- Mavrova, AT, Denkova, PS, Tsenov, YA, Anichina, KK, Vutchev, DL (2007) Synthesis and antitrichinellosis activity of some bis(benzimidazol-2-yl)amines. Bioorg Med Chem 15: pp. 6291-6297 CrossRef
- Navarette-Vazquez, G, Cedillo, R, Hernandez-Campos, A, Yepez, L, Hernandez-Luis, F, Valdez, J, Morales, R, Cortes, R, Hernandez, M, Castillo, R (2001) Synthesis and antiparasitic activity of 2-(trifluoromethyl)benzimidazole derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 11: pp. 187-190 CrossRef
- Nfzi, A, Ostresh, JM, Houghten, RA (1997) The current status of heterocyclic combinatorial libraries. Chem Rev 97: pp. 449-472 CrossRef
- Olkkola, KT, Brunetto, AV, Mattila, MJ (1994) Pharmacokinetics of oxicam nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Clin Pharmacokinet 26: pp. 107-120 CrossRef
- Ouattara, M, Sissouma, D, Kone, MW, Menan, HE, Toure, SA, Ouattara, L (2011) Synthesis and anthelmintic activity of some hybrid Benzimidazolyl-chalcone derivatives. Trop J Pharm Res 10: pp. 767-775 CrossRef
- Pagano, MA, Andrzejewska, M, Ruzzene, M, Sarno, S, Cesaro, L, Bain, J, Elliott, M, Meggio, F, Kazimierczuk, Z, Pinna, LA (2004) Optimization of protein kinase CK2 inhibitors derived from 4,5,6,7-tetrabromobenzimidazole. J Med Chem 47: pp. 6239-6247 CrossRef
- Rao, A, Chimirri, A, Clercq, E, Monforte, AM, Monforte, P, Pannecouque, C, Zappalà, M (2002) Synthesis and anti-hIV activity of 1-(2,6-difluorophenyl)-1H,3H-thiazolo[3,4-a]benzimidazole structurally-related 1,2-substituted benzimidazoles. Farmaco 57: pp. 819-823 CrossRef
- Refaat, HM (2010) Synthesis and anticancer activity of some novel 2-substituted benzimidazole derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 45: pp. 2949-2956 CrossRef
- Shaharyar, M, Abdullah, MM, Bakht, MA, Majeed, J (2010) Pyrazoline bearing benzimidazoles: search for anticancer agent. Eur J Med Chem 45: pp. 114-119 CrossRef
- Starcevic, K, Kralj, M, Ester, K, Sabol, I, Grace, M, Pavelic, K, Karminski-Zamola, G (2007) Synthesis, antiviral and antitumor activity of 2-substituted-5-amidino-benzimidazoles. Bioorg Med Chem 15: pp. 4419-4423 CrossRef
- Taylor, BM, Crittenden, NJ, Bruden, MN, Wishka, DG, Morris, J, Richards, IM, Sun, FF (1991) Biological activity of leukotriene B4 analogs: inhibition of guinea pig eosinophil migration in vitro by the 2,6-disubstituted pyridine analogs U-75,302 and U-75,485. Prostaglandins 42: pp. 211-224 CrossRef
- Terrett, NK, Gardner, M, Gordon, DW, Kobeylecki, RJ, Steele, J (1995) Combinatorial synthesis–the design of compound libraries and their application to drug discovery. Tetrahedron 51: pp. 8135-8173 CrossRef
- Ueno, H, Katoh, S, Yokota, K, Hoshi, J-I, Hayashi, M, Uchida, I, Aisaka, K, Hase, Y, Cho, H (2004) Structure-activity relationships of potent and selective factor Xa inhibitors: benzimidazole derivatives with the side chain oriented to the prime site of factor Xa. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 14: pp. 4281-4286 CrossRef
- Xiao, L, Saeed, K, Herd, RP (1996) Efficacy of albendazole and fenbedazole against Giardia infection in cattle. Vet Parasitol 61: pp. 165-170 CrossRef
- Zelenin, KN, Bezhan, IP, Pastushenkov, LV, Gromova, EG, Lesiovskaja, EE, Chakchir, BA, Melnikova, LF (1999) Anti-inflammatory activity of 2-acyl-5(3)-hydroxytetrahydro-1H-pyrazole derivatives. Arzneimittelforschung 49: pp. 843-848
- Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial screening of hybrid molecules containing benzimidazole-pyrazole and pyridine nucleus
Medicinal Chemistry Research
Volume 21, Issue 12 , pp 4463-4472
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Antibacterial screening
- Antifungal screening
- Industry Sectors