The French National Nutrition and Health Program: 2001–2006–2010
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Established in 2001–2005 then extended to 2010, the French National Nutrition and Health Program (PNNS) is a nutrition policy whose objective is to improve the health status of the population by acting on one of its major determinants, nutrition.
Nine priority objectives focusing on diet, physical activity and nutritional status were determined. Program strategies are based on fundamental principles including food culture, pleasure, and gastronomy. This multidisciplinary program involves stakeholders from ministries, research and educational institutions, food industry, healthcare, and consumers.
More than 75 % of the public health actions planned were accomplished or in progress by the end of 2005, particularly those concerning nutrition communication, education, research and nutritional surveillance. Dietary guidelines were established and are now considered the official reference in France. Actions focusing on the healthcare system, economic actors and players and specific population groups need further development.
The success of a public health program like the PNNS requires a combination of synergistic and complementary actions, measures, regulations and laws. A national study at the end of the PNNS will determine if objectives were achieved.
- The French National Nutrition and Health Program: 2001–2006–2010
International Journal of Public Health
Volume 53, Issue 2 , pp 68-77
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- Nutrition policy
- Dietary intake
- Physical activity
- Nutrition communication
- Nutrition goals
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Bobigny / Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine – Ile-de-France, UMR U557 INSERM, U1125 INRA, CNAM, SMBH Université Paris 13, 74 rue Marcel Cachin, F-93017, Bobigny Cedex, France
- 2. Département de Santé Publique, Hôpital Avicenne, Bobigny, F-93017, Bobigny, France
- 3. Chairman of the Steering Committee of the PNNS, Bobigny, France
- 4. Direction Générale de la Santé, French Ministry of Health, F-75007, Paris, France