Magnetotelluric Response Function Estimation Based on Hilbert–Huang Transform
- Jian-hua Cai
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Magnetotelluric (MT) data series are non-stationary random signals that do not meet the basic requirements of conventional methods based on the Fourier transform. To minimize the estimation bias errors brought about by the non-stationary characteristics of MT data, a new method, based on the Hilbert–Huang transform (HHT), is proposed for the first time for estimating the MT response functions from a time series of electromagnetic field variations. With the HHT method, the amplitude of data series are expressed as a function of frequency and time and then response functions are estimated statistically from the time–frequency spectrum. Mathematical model and calculation processes are introduced and some simulated data are analyzed to verify the correctness of the method. Finally, the measured MT data is facilitated by applying the HHT to assess the ability of HHT method to quantify meaningful geologic information.
- Berdichevskii, M.P., 1973, Magnetotelluric sounding with applications to mathematical filters: Physics of the Earth, 3, 68–76. [in Russian]
- Bostick, F. X., 1977, A simple almost exact method of MT analysis, in Workshop on Electrical Methods in Geothermal Exploration, U.S. Geol. Surv., Contract No. 14080001-8-359.
- Cai J.H, Tang, J.T, and GongY.R. 2009, Time-frequency analysis of magnetotelluric sounding data. Geology and Prospecting, 8(4): 462–467. [in Chinese]
- Chant, I. J., and Hastie, L. M., 1992, Time-frequency analysis of magnetotelluric data: Geophysics, 111, 399–413.
- Chen, L. S. H., and Bai, G. X., 1984, The transient spectrum method for analyzing Magnetotelluric data: Oil Geophysical Prospecting, 12, 562–574. [in Chinese]
- Flandrin, P., Rilling, G., and Goncalves, P., 2004, Empirical mode decomposition as a filter bank: IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 11, 112–114.
- Huang, N. E., Shen, Z., Long, S. R., Wu, M. C., and Shih, H. H., 1998, The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis: Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series A, 454, 903–995.
- Huang, N. E., 2005, The Hilbert–Huang transform in engineering, BocaRaton: CRC Press, p. 1–23.
- Jiang, R., Yan, H., 2008, Studies of spectral properties of short genes using the wavelet subspace Hilbert–Huang transform (WSHHT): Physica A, 387, 4223–4247.
- Kauffman, A.A., and Keller, G.V., 1987, Magnetotelluric Sounding Method, Beijing, Geological Publishing House, 432–475.
- Larsen, J., Mackie, R.L., Manzella, A., Fordelisi, A., Rieven, S., 1996. Robust smooth magnetotelluric transfer functions. Geophysical Journal International 124, 801–0819.
- Liu J.X, Yang J.B, and He J.S, 2003, Robust estimation method of sea magnettotelluric impedance based on correlative coefficient, Chinese J. Geophys, 46(22):241-245 [in Chinese]
- Qin, S. R., and Zhong, Y. M., 2006, A new envelope algorithm of Hilbert–Huang transform: Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 20, 1941–1952.
- Ruan B.Y, Xu S.Z, Dai S.K, 1998, Rapid inversion of 2-D magnetotelluric sounding data, Journal of Guilin institute of technology, 18(1):53–56. [in Chinese]
- Rato, R. T., Ortigueira, M. D., and Batista, A. G., 2008, On the HHT, its problems, and some solutions: Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 22, 1374–1394.
- Shi, C. X., and Luo, Q. F., 2003, Hilbert–Huang transform and wavelet analysis of time history signal: Acta Seismologica Sinica, 25, 398–405.[in Chinese]
- Tang J. T, Hua X. R, Cao Z. M, et al. 2008, Hilbert–Huang transformation and noise suppression of magnetotelluric sounding data.Chinese J. Geophys., 51(2): 603–610. [in Chinese]
- Wang, S. M., and Wang, J. Y., 2004, Discussion on the non-minimum phase of magnetotelluric signals: Progress in Geophysics, 19, 216–221. [in Chinese]
- Magnetotelluric Response Function Estimation Based on Hilbert–Huang Transform
Pure and Applied Geophysics
Volume 170, Issue 11 , pp 1899-1911
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Basel
- Additional Links
- Magnetotelluric data
- Hilbert–Huang transform
- marginal spectrum
- response function estimation
- Industry Sectors
- Jian-hua Cai (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics and Electronics, Hunan University of Arts and Science, Changde, 415000, China