Protective effect of gossypol on lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in mice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gossypol has been reported to have anti-inflammatory properties. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of gossypol on acute lung injury (ALI) induced by lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in mice.
Male BALB/c mice were pretreated with gossypol 1 h before intranasal instillation of LPS. Then, 7 h after LPS administration, the myeloperoxidase in histology of lungs, lung wet/dry ratio and inflammatory cells in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) were determined. The levels of tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), interleukin-6 (IL-6) and interleukin-1β (IL-1β) in the BALF were measured by ELISA. The extent of phosphorylation of IκB-α, p65 NF-κB, p46–p54 JNK, p42–p44 ERK, and p38 were detected by western blot.
Gossypol markedly attenuated the LPS-induced histological alterations in the lung and inhibited the production of TNF-α, IL-1β and IL-6. Additionally, gossypol reduced the inflammatory cells in BALF, decreased the wet/dry ratio of lungs and inhibited the phosphorylation of IκB-α, p65 NF-κB, p46–p54 JNK, p42–p44 ERK, and p38 caused by LPS.
The data suggest that anti-inflammatory effects of gossypol against the LPS-induced ALI may be due to its ability of inhibition of the NF-κB and MAPKs signaling pathways. Gossypol may be a promising potential therapeutic reagent for ALI treatment.
- Rubenfeld GD. Epidemiology of acute lung injury. Crit Care Med. 2003;31:S276–84. CrossRef
- Zhang X, Song K, Xiong H, Li H, Chu X, Deng X. Protective effect of florfenicol on acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide in mice. Int Immunopharmacol. 2009;9:1525–9. CrossRef
- Atabai K, Matthay MA. The pulmonary physician in critical care. 5: acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome: definitions and epidemiology. Thorax. 2002;57:452–8. CrossRef
- Rubenfeld GD, Caldwell E, Peabody E, Weaver J, Martin DP, Neff M, et al. Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injury. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:1685–93. CrossRef
- Ware LB, Matthay MA. The acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:1334–49. CrossRef
- Lee WL, Downey GP. Neutrophil activation and acute lung injury. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2001;7:1–7. CrossRef
- Coutinho EM. Gossypol: a contraceptive for men. Contraception. 2002;65:259–63. CrossRef
- Cui GH, Xu ZL, Yang ZJ, Xu YY, Xue SP. A combined regimen of gossypol plus methyltestosterone and ethinylestradiol as a contraceptive induces germ cell apoptosis and expression of its related genes in rats. Contraception. 2004;70:335–42. CrossRef
- Ye W, Chang HL, Wang LS, Huang YW, Shu S, Sugimoto Y, et al. Induction of apoptosis by (−)-gossypol-enriched cottonseed oil in human breast cancer cells. Int J Mol Med. 2010;26:113–9.
- Huang LH, Hu JQ, Tao WQ, Li YH, Li GM, Xie PY, et al. Gossypol inhibits phosphorylation of Bcl-2 in human leukemia HL-60 cells. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010;645:9–13. CrossRef
- Benhaim P, Mathes SJ, Hunt TK, Scheuenstuhl H, Benz CC. Induction of neutrophil Mac-1 integrin expression and superoxide production by the medicinal plant extract gossypol. Inflammation. 1994;18:443–58. CrossRef
- Moon DO, Kim MO, Lee JD, Kim GY. Gossypol suppresses NF-kappaB activity and NF-kappaB-related gene expression in human leukemia U937 cells. Cancer Lett. 2008;264:192–200. CrossRef
- Su CF, Yang FL, Chen HI. Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase attenuates acute endotoxin-induced lung injury in rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2007;34:339–46. CrossRef
- Suda K, Tsuruta M, Eom J, Or C, Mui T, Jaw JE, et al. Acute lung injury induces cardiovascular dysfunction: effects of IL-6 and budesonide/formoterol. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2011;45:510–6. CrossRef
- Zmijewski JW, Lorne E, Zhao X, Tsuruta Y, Sha Y, Liu G, et al. Antiinflammatory effects of hydrogen peroxide in neutrophil activation and acute lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;179:694–704. CrossRef
- Bhatia M, Moochhala S. Role of inflammatory mediators in the pathophysiology of acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Pathol. 2004;202:145–56. CrossRef
- Cribbs SK, Matthay MA, Martin GS. Stem cells in sepsis and acute lung injury. Crit Care Med. 2010;38:2379–85. CrossRef
- Goodman RB, Pugin J, Lee JS, Matthay MA. Cytokine-mediated inflammation in acute lung injury. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2003;14:523–35. CrossRef
- Giebelen IA, van Westerloo DJ, LaRosa GJ, de Vos AF, van der Poll T. Local stimulation of alpha7 cholinergic receptors inhibits LPS-induced TNF-alpha release in the mouse lung. Shock. 2007;28:700–3.
- Christman JW, Sadikot RT, Blackwell TS. The role of nuclear factor-kappa B in pulmonary diseases. Chest. 2000;117:1482–7. CrossRef
- McCoy MK, Ruhn KA, Blesch A, Tansey MG. TNF: a key neuroinflammatory mediator of neurotoxicity and neurodegeneration in models of Parkinson’s disease. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2011;691:539–40. CrossRef
- Kolliputi N, Waxman AB. IL-6 cytoprotection in hyperoxic acute lung injury occurs via PI3K/Akt-mediated Bax phosphorylation. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2009;297:L6–16. CrossRef
- Medzhitov R, Kagan JC. Phosphoinositide-mediated adaptor recruitment controls toll-like receptor signaling. Cell. 2006;125:943–55. CrossRef
- Gilmore TD. Introduction to NF-kappaB: players, pathways, perspectives. Oncogene. 2006;25:6680–4. CrossRef
- Rao KM. MAP kinase activation in macrophages. J Leukoc Biol. 2001;69:3–10.
- Jiang JX, Zhang Y, Ji SH, Zhu P, Wang ZG. Kinetics of mitogen-activated protein kinase family in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated mouse Kupffer cells and their role in cytokine production. Shock. 2002;18:336–41. CrossRef
- Choi CY, Park KR, Lee JH, Jeon YJ, Liu KH, Oh S, et al. Isoeugenol suppression of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression is mediated by down-regulation of NF-kappaB, ERK1/2, and p38 kinase. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007;576:151–9. CrossRef
- Protective effect of gossypol on lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in mice
Volume 62, Issue 5 , pp 499-506
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- Lipopolysaccharide (LPS)
- Acute lung injury (ALI)
- Nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-κB)
- Mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun, 130062, Jilin, People’s Republic of China