Endothelial progenitor cells: the promise of cell-based therapies for acute lung injury
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) are defined as a special type of stem cell that have been found to directly incorporate into injured vessels and that participate in angiogenesis and reconstruction by differentiation into endothelial cells. EPCs are widely used to therapeutically treat cardiovascular disease, limb ischemia and vascular repair. However, the role of EPCs in inflammatory diseases, especially in lung injury, is less studied.
To investigate the application of EPCs to vascular repair, and the role of EPCs in acute lung injury (ALI) and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
A computer-based online search was performed in the PubMed database and Web of Science database for articles published, concerning EPCs, angiogenesis, ALI/ARDS and stem cell transplantation
EPCs have a therapeutic potential for vascular regeneration and may emerge as novel strategy for the diseases that are associated with ALI/ARDS.
- Asahara T, Murohara T, Sullivan A, Silver M, van der Zee R, et al. Isolation of putative progenitor endothelial cells for angiogenesis. Science. 1997;275:964–7. CrossRef
- Fan CL, Gao PJ, Che ZQ, Liu JJ, Wei J, et al. Therapeutic neovascularization by autologous transplantation with expanded endothelial progenitor cells from peripheral blood into ischemic hind limbs. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2005;26:1069–75. CrossRef
- Lara-Hernandez R, Lozano-Vilardell P, Blanes P, Torreguitart-Mirada N, Galmes A, et al. Safety and efficacy of therapeutic angiogenesis as a novel treatment in patients with critical limb ischemia. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010;24:287–94. CrossRef
- Hung HS, Shyu WC, Tsai CH, Hsu SH, Lin SZ. Transplantation of endothelial progenitor cells as therapeutics for cardiovascular diseases. Cell Transpl. 2009;18:1003–12. CrossRef
- Zampetaki A, Kirton JP, Xu Q. Vascular repair by endothelial progenitor cells. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;78:413–21. CrossRef
- Gao X, Chen W, Liang Z, Chen L. Autotransplantation of circulating endothelial progenitor cells protects against lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in rabbit. Int Immunopharmacol. 2011;11:1584–90. CrossRef
- Cao JP, He XY, Xu HT, Zou Z, Shi XY. Autologous transplantation of peripheral blood-derived circulating endothelial progenitor cells attenuates endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in rabbits by direct endothelial repair and indirect immunomodulation. Anesthesiology. 2012;116:1278–87. CrossRef
- Mao M, Wang SN, Lv XJ, Wang Y, Xu JC. Intravenous delivery of bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells improves survival and attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced lung injury in rats. Shock. 2010;34:196–204. CrossRef
- Lam CF, Liu YC, Hsu JK, Yeh PA, Su TY, et al. Autologous transplantation of endothelial progenitor cells attenuates acute lung injury in rabbits. Anesthesiology. 2008;108:392–401. CrossRef
- Lam CF, Roan JN, Lee CH, Chang PJ, Huang CC, et al. Transplantation of endothelial progenitor cells improves pulmonary endothelial function and gas exchange in rabbits with endotoxin-induced acute lung injury. Anesth Analg. 2011;112:620–7. CrossRef
- Kahler CM, Wechselberger J, Hilbe W, Gschwendtner A, Colleselli D, et al. Peripheral infusion of rat bone marrow derived endothelial progenitor cells leads to homing in acute lung injury. Respir Res. 2007;8:50. CrossRef
- Blank R, Napolitano LM. Epidemiology of ARDS and ALI. Crit Care Clin. 2011;27:439–58. CrossRef
- Tsushima K, King LS, Aggarwal NR, De Gorordo A, D’Alessio FR, et al. Acute lung injury review. Intern Med. 2009;48:621–30. CrossRef
- Liu KD, Matthay MA. Advances in critical care for the nephrologist: acute lung injury/ARDS. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;3:578–86. CrossRef
- Sheridan M, Donnelly M, Bailie R, Power M, Seigne P, et al. Acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome in Ireland: a prospective audit of epidemiology and management. Crit Care. 2008;12:R30.
- Perl M, Lomas-Neira J, Venet F, Chung CS, Ayala A. Pathogenesis of indirect (secondary) acute lung injury. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2011;5:115–26. CrossRef
- Matuschak GM, Lechner AJ. Acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome: pathophysiology and treatment. Mo Med. 2010;107:252–8.
- Tomashefski JF Jr, Davies P, Boggis C, Greene R, Zapol WM, et al. The pulmonary vascular lesions of the adult respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Pathol. 1983;112:112–26.
- Zapol WM, Jones R. Vascular components of ARDS. Clinical pulmonary hemodynamics and morphology. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1987;136:471–4. CrossRef
- Takakura N, Huang XL, Naruse T, Hamaguchi I, Dumont DJ, et al. Critical role of the TIE2 endothelial cell receptor in the development of definitive hematopoiesis. Immunity. 1998;9:677–86. CrossRef
- Jujo K, Ii M, Losordo DW. Endothelial progenitor cells in neovascularization of infarcted myocardium. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;45:530–44. CrossRef
- Watt SM, Athanassopoulos A, Harris AL, Tsaknakis G. Human endothelial stem/progenitor cells, angiogenic factors and vascular repair. J R Soc Interface. 2010;7(Suppl 6):S731–51. CrossRef
- He T, Smith LA, Harrington S, Nath KA, Caplice NM, et al. Transplantation of circulating endothelial progenitor cells restores endothelial function of denuded rabbit carotid arteries. Stroke. 2004;35:2378–84. CrossRef
- Matsubara Y, Matsubara K. Estrogen and progesterone play pivotal roles in endothelial progenitor cell proliferation. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2012;10:2. CrossRef
- Ribatti D. The discovery of endothelial progenitor cells. An historical review. Leuk Res. 2007;31:439–44. CrossRef
- Hur J, Yoon CH, Kim HS, Choi JH, Kang HJ, et al. Characterization of two types of endothelial progenitor cells and their different contributions to neovasculogenesis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24:288–93. CrossRef
- Urbich C, Aicher A, Heeschen C, Dernbach E, Hofmann WK, et al. Soluble factors released by endothelial progenitor cells promote migration of endothelial cells and cardiac resident progenitor cells. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2005;39:733–42. CrossRef
- Krenning G, van Luyn MJ, Harmsen MC. Endothelial progenitor cell-based neovascularization: implications for therapy. Trends Mol Med. 2009;15:180–9. CrossRef
- Tanaka K, Sata M. Role of vascular progenitor cells in cardiovascular disease. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:2760–8. CrossRef
- Germani A, Di Campli C, Pompilio G, Biglioli P, Capogrossi MC. Regenerative therapy in peripheral artery disease. Cardiovasc Ther. 2009;27:289–304. CrossRef
- Werner N, Wassmann S, Ahlers P, Schiegl T, Kosiol S, et al. Endothelial progenitor cells correlate with endothelial function in patients with coronary artery disease. Basic Res Cardiol. 2007;102:565–71. CrossRef
- Lasala GP, Silva JA, Kusnick BA, Minguell JJ. Combination stem cell therapy for the treatment of medically refractory coronary ischemia: a Phase I study. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2011;12:29–34. CrossRef
- Werner N, Nickenig G. Clinical and therapeutical implications of EPC biology in atherosclerosis. J Cell Mol Med. 2006;10:318–32. CrossRef
- Du F, Zhou J, Gong R, Huang X, Pansuria M, et al. Endothelial progenitor cells in atherosclerosis. Front Biosci. 2012;17:2327–49. CrossRef
- Naruse K, Nakamura J. Therapeutic vasculogenesis using endothelial progenitor cells for treatment of diabetic neuropathies. Nihon Rinsho. 2005;63(Suppl 6):622–6.
- Ding DC, Shyu WC, Lin SZ, Li H. The role of endothelial progenitor cells in ischemic cerebral and heart diseases. Cell Transpl. 2007;16:273–84.
- Fan Y, Shen F, Frenzel T, Zhu W, Ye J, et al. Endothelial progenitor cell transplantation improves long-term stroke outcome in mice. Ann Neurol. 2010;67:488–97. CrossRef
- Bogoslovsky T, Chaudhry A, Latour L, Maric D, Luby M, et al. Endothelial progenitor cells correlate with lesion volume and growth in acute stroke. Neurology. 2010;75:2059–62. CrossRef
- Liu F, Liu ZD, Wu N, Cong X, Fei R, et al. Transplanted endothelial progenitor cells ameliorate carbon tetrachloride-induced liver cirrhosis in rats. Liver Transpl. 2009;15:1092–100. CrossRef
- Qian C, Tio RA, Roks AJ, Boddeus KM, Harmsen MC, et al. A promising technique for transplantation of bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells into rat heart. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2007;16:127–35. CrossRef
- Tsuchiya K, Hida K, Hida Y, Muraki C, Ohga N, et al. Adrenomedullin antagonist suppresses tumor formation in renal cell carcinoma through inhibitory effects on tumor endothelial cells and endothelial progenitor mobilization. Int J Oncol. 2010;36:1379–86.
- Varma NR, Janic B, Iskander AS, Shankar A, Bhuiyan MP, et al. Endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) as gene carrier system for rat model of human glioma. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30310. CrossRef
- Prieto J, Fernandez-Ruiz V, Kawa MP, Sarobe P, Qian C. Cells as vehicles for therapeutic genes to treat liver diseases. Gene Ther. 2008;15:765–71. CrossRef
- Hennig B, Alvarado A. Nutrition and endothelial cell integrity: implications in atherosclerosis. Prog Food Nutr Sci. 1993;17:119–57.
- Kim CF, Jackson EL, Woolfenden AE, Lawrence S, Babar I, et al. Identification of bronchioalveolar stem cells in normal lung and lung cancer. Cell. 2005;121:823–35. CrossRef
- Bompais H, Chagraoui J, Canron X, Crisan M, Liu XH, et al. Human endothelial cells derived from circulating progenitors display specific functional properties compared with mature vessel wall endothelial cells. Blood. 2004;103:2577–84. CrossRef
- Alev C, Ii M, Asahara T. Endothelial progenitor cells: a novel tool for the therapy of ischemic diseases. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011;15:949–65. CrossRef
- Yamada M, Kubo H, Kobayashi S, Ishizawa K, Numasaki M, et al. Bone marrow-derived progenitor cells are important for lung repair after lipopolysaccharide-induced lung injury. J Immunol. 2004;172:1266–72.
- Yamada M, Kubo H, Ishizawa K, Kobayashi S, Shinkawa M, et al. Increased circulating endothelial progenitor cells in patients with bacterial pneumonia: evidence that bone marrow derived cells contribute to lung repair. Thorax. 2005;60:410–3. CrossRef
- Burnham EL, Taylor WR, Quyyumi AA, Rojas M, Brigham KL, et al. Increased circulating endothelial progenitor cells are associated with survival in acute lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005;172:854–60. CrossRef
- Kinnula VL, Crapo JD. Superoxide dismutases in the lung and human lung diseases. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003;167:1600–19. CrossRef
- Wong GH, Elwell JH, Oberley LW, Goeddel DV. Manganous superoxide dismutase is essential for cellular resistance to cytotoxicity of tumor necrosis factor. Cell. 1989;58:923–31. CrossRef
- He T, Peterson TE, Holmuhamedov EL, Terzic A, Caplice NM, et al. Human endothelial progenitor cells tolerate oxidative stress due to intrinsically high expression of manganese superoxide dismutase. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24:2021–7. CrossRef
- Xia L, Fu GS, Yang JX, Zhang FR, Wang XX. Endothelial progenitor cells may inhibit apoptosis of pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells: new insights into cell therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. Cytotherapy. 2009;11:492–502. CrossRef
- Wary KK, Vogel SM, Garrean S, Zhao YD, Malik AB. Requirement of alpha(4)beta(1) and alpha(5)beta(1) integrin expression in bone-marrow-derived progenitor cells in preventing endotoxin-induced lung vascular injury and edema in mice. Stem Cells. 2009;27:3112–20.
- Toya SP, Li F, Bonini MG, Gomez I, Mao M, et al. Interaction of a specific population of human embryonic stem cell-derived progenitor cells with CD11b+ cells ameliorates sepsis-induced lung inflammatory injury. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:313–24. CrossRef
- Endothelial progenitor cells: the promise of cell-based therapies for acute lung injury
Volume 62, Issue 1 , pp 3-8
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- Endothelial progenitor cells
- Acute lung injury
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Stem cell transplantation
- Industry Sectors