Serial cytokine levels in patients with severe sepsis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective and design
The serial or dynamic changes of cytokine levels in severely septic patients, between shock and no shock, survivors and non-survivors are still unclear.
Seventy-six patients with severe sepsis were enrolled to our study. Plasma levels of interferon-γ, interleukin (IL)-6, IL-10, IL-12 and transforming growth factor-β1 from day 1 to day 7 were determined.
IL-6 level in non-survivors was higher than that in survivors on day 1. IL-10 level in non-survivors was higher than that in survivors on day 1, 2, and 3. IL-6 level in shock patients was higher than that in non-shock patients on day 1, 2, 6 and 7. IL-10 level in shock patients was higher than that in non-shock patients from day 1 to day 7. Plasma time-course curves of IL-6 and IL-10 were different between survivors and non-survivors. Plasma time-course curve of IL-6 was different between patients with shock and without shock. Regression analysis found that IL-6 was correlated with IL-10 and shock. IL-10 was correlated with IL-6 and mortality.
IL-6 and IL-10 were the key cytokines in the pathogenesis of severe sepsis. IL-6 was comparatively more associated with septic shock and IL-10 was comparatively more associated with mortality.
- Hotchkiss RS, Karl IE. The pathophysiology and treatment of sepsis. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:138–50. CrossRef
- Arnalich F, Lopez J, Codoceo R, Jim NM, Madero R, Montiel C. Relationship of plasma leptin to plasma cytokines and human survivalin sepsis and septic shock. J Infect Dis. 1999;180:908–11. CrossRef
- Yoshizawa K, Naruto M, Ida N. Injection time of interleukin-6 determines fatal outcome in experimental endotoxin shock. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 1996;16:995–1000.
- Kinasewitz GT, Yan SB, Basson B, Comp P, Russell JA, Cariou A, et al. Universal changes in biomarkers of coagulation and inflammation occur in patients with severe sepsis, regardless of causative micro-organism [ISRCTN74215569]. Crit Care. 2004;8:R82–90. CrossRef
- Dinarello CA. Proinflammatory cytokines. Chest. 2000;118:503–8. CrossRef
- Maina N, Ngotho JM, Were T, Thuita JK, Mwangangi DM, Kagira JM, et al. Proinflammatory cytokine expression in the early phase of Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense infection in vervet monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops). Infect Immun. 2004;72:3063–5. CrossRef
- Rubins JB, Pomeroy C. Role of gamma interferon in the pathogenesis of bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia. Infect Immun. 1997;65:2975–7.
- Watford WT, Moriguchi M, Morinobu A, O’Shea JJ. The biology of IL-12: coordinating innate and adaptive immune responses. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2003;14:361–8. CrossRef
- Ono S, Ueno C, Aosasa S, Tsujimoto H, Seki S, Mochizuki H. Severe sepsis induces deficient interferon-gamma and interleukin-12 production, but interleukin-12 therapy improves survival in peritonitis. Am J Surg. 2001;182:491–7. CrossRef
- Steinhauser ML, Hogaboam CM, Kunkel SL, Lukacs NW, Strieter RM, Standiford TJ. IL-10 is a major mediator of sepsis-induced impairment in lung antibacterial host defense. J Immunol. 1999;162:392–9.
- Berg DJ, Kuhn R, Rajewsky K, Muller W, Menon S, Davidson N, et al. Interleukin-10 is a central regulator of the response to LPS in murine models of endotoxic shock and the Shwartzman reaction but not endotoxin tolerance. J Clin Invest. 1995;96:2339–47. CrossRef
- Sablotzki A, Dehne MG, Friedrich I, Grond S, Zickmann B, Muhling J, et al. Different expression of cytokines in survivors and non-survivors from MODS following cardiovascular surgery. Eur J Med Res. 2003;8:71–6.
- Monneret G, Finck ME, Venet F, Debard AL, Bohe J, Bienvenu J, et al. The anti-inflammatory response dominates after septic shock: association of low monocyte HLA-DR expression and high interleukin-10 concentration. Immunol Lett. 2004;95:193–8. CrossRef
- Malaguarnera L, Pignatelli S, Simpore J, Malaguarnera M, Musumeci S. Plasma levels of interleukin-12 (IL-12), interleukin-18 (IL-18) and transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) in Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2002;13:425–30.
- Lekkou A, Karakantza M, Mouzaki A, Kalfarentzos F, Gogos CA. Cytokine production and monocyte HLA-DR expression as predictors of outcome for patients with community-acquired severe infections. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2004;11:161–7.
- Carrol ED, Thomson AP, Jones AP, Jeffers G, Hart CA. A predominantly anti-inflammatory cytokine profile is associated with disease severity in meningococcal sepsis. Intensive Care Med. 2005;31:1415–9. CrossRef
- Groeneveld PH, Kwappenberg KM, Langermans JA, Nibbering PH, Curtis L. Relation between pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines and the production of nitric oxide (NO) in severe sepsis. Cytokine. 1997;9:138–42. CrossRef
- Fernandez-Serrano S, Dorca J, Coromines M, Carratala J, Gudiol F, Manresa F. Molecular inflammatory responses measured in blood of patients with severe community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2003;10:813–20.
- Rivers E, Nguyen B, Havstad S, Ressler J, Muzzin A, Knoblich B, et al. Early goal-directed therapy in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock. N Engl J Med. 2001;345:1368–77. CrossRef
- Bellomo R, Ronco C, Kellum JA, Mehta RL, Palevsky P. Acute renal failure—definition, outcome measures, animal models, fluid therapy and information technology needs: the second international consensus conference of the Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative (ADQI) Group. Crit Care. 2004;8:R204–12. CrossRef
- Levy MM, Fink MP, Marshall JC, Abraham E, Angus D, Cook D, et al. 2001 SCCM/ESICM/ACCP/ATS/SIS international sepsis definitions conference. Crit Care Med. 2003;31:1250–6. CrossRef
- Knaus WA, Draper EA, Wagner DP, Zimmerman JE. APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system. Crit Care Med. 1985;13:818–29. CrossRef
- Tischendorf JJ, Yagmur E, Scholten D, Vidacek D, Koch A, Winograd R, et al. The interleukin-6 (IL6)−174 G/C promoter genotype is associated with the presence of septic shock and the ex vivo secretion of IL6. Int J Immunogenet. 2007;34:413–8. CrossRef
- Sutherland AM, Walley KR, Manocha S, Russell JA. The association of interleukin 6 haplotype clades with mortality in critically ill adults. Arch Intern Med. 2005;165:75–82. CrossRef
- Bennermo M, Held C, Stemme S, Ericsson CG, Silveira A, Green F, et al. Genetic predisposition of the interleukin-6 response to inflammation: implications for a variety of major diseases? Clin Chem. 2004;50:2136–40. CrossRef
- Fisher CJ Jr, Agosti JM, Opal SM, Lowry SF, Balk RA, Sadoff JC, et al. Treatment of septic shock with the tumor necrosis factor receptor: Fc fusion protein. The soluble TNF Receptor Sepsis Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:1697–702. CrossRef
- Oberholzer A, Oberholzer C, Moldawer LL. Sepsis syndromes: understanding the role of innate and acquired immunity. Shock. 2001;16:83–96. CrossRef
- Stanilova SA, Miteva LD, Karakolev ZT, Stefanov CS. Interleukin-10-1082 promoter polymorphism in association with cytokine production and sepsis susceptibility. Intensive Care Med. 2006;32:260–6. CrossRef
- Garnacho-Montero J, Bo-Pallas T, Garnacho-Montero C, Cayuela A, Jimenez R, Barroso S, et al. Timing of adequate antibiotic therapy is a greater determinant of outcome than are TNF and IL-10 polymorphisms in patients with sepsis. Crit Care. 2006;10:R111. CrossRef
- Russell JA. Management of sepsis. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:1699–713. CrossRef
- Hotchkiss RS, Tinsley KW, Swanson PE, Schmieg RE Jr, Hui JJ, Chang KC, et al. Sepsis-induced apoptosis causes progressive profound depletion of B and CD4+ T lymphocytes in humans. J Immunol. 2001;166:6952–63.
- Afzali B, Lombardi G, Lechler RI, Lord GM. The role of T helper 17 (Th17) and regulatory T cells (Treg) in human organ transplantation and autoimmune disease. Clin Exp Immunol. 2007;148:32–46.
- Bettelli E, Oukka M, Kuchroo VK. T(H)-17 cells in the circle of immunity and autoimmunity. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:345–50. CrossRef
- Rudge G, Gleeson PA, van DI. Control of immune responses by immunoregulatory T cells. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2006;54:381–91. CrossRef
- Monneret G, Debard AL, Venet F, Bohe J, Hequet O, Bienvenu J, et al. Marked elevation of human circulating CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells in sepsis-induced immunoparalysis. Crit Care Med. 2003;31:2068–71. CrossRef
- Venet F, Pachot A, Debard AL, Bohe J, Bienvenu J, Lepape A, et al. Increased percentage of CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells during septic shock is due to the decrease of CD4+. Crit Care Med. 2004;32:2329–31.
- Bozza FA, Salluh JI, Japiassu AM, Soares M, Assis EF, Gomes RN, et al. Cytokine profiles as markers of disease severity in sepsis: a multiplex analysis. Crit Care. 2007;11:R49. CrossRef
- Oberholzer A, Souza SM, Tschoeke SK, Oberholzer C, Abouhamze A, Pribble JP, et al. Plasma cytokine measurements augment prognostic scores as indicators of outcome in patients with severe sepsis. Shock. 2005;23:488–93.
- Rodriguez-Gaspar M, Santolaria F, Jarque-Lopez A, Gonzalez-Reimers E, Milena A, de l, V et al. Prognostic value of cytokines in SIRS general medical patients. Cytokine 2001;15:232–6.
- Dellinger RP, Carlet JM, Masur H, Gerlach H, Calandra T, Cohen J, et al. Surviving sepsis campaign guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock. Crit Care Med. 2004;32:858–73. CrossRef
- Serial cytokine levels in patients with severe sepsis
Volume 58, Issue 7 , pp 385-393
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- Transforming growth factor-beta1
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung, #222, Maijin Rd. Anle Chiu, Keelung, 204, Taiwan, ROC
- 2. Department of Respiratory Therapy, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung, Taiwan, ROC
- 3. Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
- 4. Department of Emergence, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung, Taiwan, ROC
- 5. Department of Chemistry, National Chung-Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
- 6. Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung, Taiwan, ROC