The adenosine A2A receptor agonist CGS 21680 fails to ameliorate the course of dextran sulphate-induced colitis in mice
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this study we investigated the effect of CGS 21680 (2-p-(2-Carboxyethyl)phenethylamino-5-N-ethylcarboxamidoadenosine hydrochloride), an adenosine A2A receptor agonist, in a model of dextran sulphate sodium (DSS)-induced colitis.
NMRI mice were fed 5 % (w/v) DSS, and were treated intraperitoneally with 0.5 mg/kg CGS 21680 or vehicle for 10 days. Changes of bodyweight, colon length, the incidence of rectal bleeding, levels of macrophage inflammatory protein (MIP)-1α, MIP-2, interferon γ, interleukin (IL)-1β, IL-12 and tumour necrosis factor-α from homogenates of colon biopsies, and the release of [3H]acetylcholine (ACh) from longitudinal muscle strip were determined.
DSS significantly decreased bodyweight, colon length, and it increased the incidence of rectal bleeding and levels of MIP-1α, MIP-2 and IL-1β compared to DSS-untreated animals. CGS 21680 had no effect on these changes. No change could be observed in release of ACh in DSS-induced colitis with or without CGS 21680.
In summary, CGS 21680 is ineffective in ameliorating DSS-induced colitis in mice.
- The adenosine A2A receptor agonist CGS 21680 fails to ameliorate the course of dextran sulphate-induced colitis in mice
Volume 56, Issue 5 , pp 204-209
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Dextran sulphate
- Adenosine A2A receptor
- CGS 21680
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, P.O.B. 67, 1450, Budapest, Hungary
- 2. Laboratory of Physiological Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, 5625 Fishers Lane MSC 9413, Bethesda, Maryland, 20852, USA
- 3. Department of Surgery, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, 185 South Orange Ave, Newark, NJ, 07103, USA