Design and Tracing of Post-Byzantine Churches in the Florina Area, Northwestern Greece
- Aineias Oikonomou
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper constitutes an effort to investigate the application of specific design and constructional tracing in post-Byzantine churches situated in northwestern Greece, mainly in the wider area of the town of Florina and the Prespa Lakes, covering a period from the fifteenth to the nineteenth century. Firstly, a review of the relevant previous studies concerning the investigation of proportions and constructional tracing in Byzantine churches is presented. Secondly, a brief analysis of the metric systems of the Byzantine and the Ottoman period is given in order to define the applied modules. Furthermore, the typology of post-Byzantine churches is analysed. The main part of the paper includes the investigation of the constructional grid and the proportions in several plan drawings, in combination with the use of triangular tracing (right triangles). The analysis is also extended to façades and sections, in order to demonstrate the standardisation of the construction. Apart from the above, the application of the golden section in some examples is also examined. Finally, conclusions are drawn concerning the design and application of models and tracing on the construction of post-Byzantine churches.
- Berbenliev, P. and V. H. Partasev. 1963. Bratzigovskite Maistori Stroiteli prez XVIII i XIX vek i tahnoto architekturno tvorcestvo. Sofia: Tehnika (in Bulgarian).
- Bouras Ch. (2001) Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Architecture in Greece. Athens, Melissa
- Cerasi, M. 1988. Late-Ottoman Architects and Master Builders. Pp. 87-102 in Muqarnas V: An Annual on Islamic Art and Architecture, O. Grabar, ed. Leiden: E.J. Brill.
- Choisy A. (1976) Histoire de l’Architecture , 2 vols. France, Editions SERG
- Ghyka M. (1931) Le nombre d’or. Gallimard, Paris
- Jouven G. (1951) Rythme et Architecture. Les Traces Harmoniques. Paris, Editions Vincent, Freal et Cie
- Konstantinidis, D. 1961. Peri armonikon haraxeon eis tin arhitektonikin kai tas eikastikas tehnas. Historia kai Aesthitiki (On Harmonic Tracing in Architecture and Visual Arts. History and Aesthetics). Athens. (in Greek).
- Kozukharov G. (1974) Svodut v Anticnostta u Srednite Vekove. Sofia, Anticnostta (in Bulgarian)
- Mamaloukos, St. 2003. Design Issues in Byzantine Architecture. Pp. 119-130 in Deltion tis Christianikis Archaeologikis Etairias. Vol. 24. Athens. (in Greek).
- Moutsopoulos, N. K. 2003. Byzantina kai Metabyzantina Mnimeia tis Makedonias. Ekklisies tou Nomou Florinas (Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Monuments of Macedonia. Churches of Florina Prefecture). Thessaloniki (in Greek).
- Moutsopoulos N. K. (2010) Naodomia (Construction d’Églises). University Studio Press (in Greek), Thessaloniki
- Oikonomou, A. 2011. The Use of the Module, Metric Models and Triangular Tracing in the Traditional Architecture of Northern Greece. In Nexus Network Journal 13, 3: 763-792.
- Oikonomou, A. 2007. Comparative Investigation of the Architectural Structure and the Environmental Performance of 19th Century Traditional Houses in Florina. Ph.D. dissertation. Athens, Greece: National Technical University of Athens, School of Architecture (in Greek).
- Oikonomou, A. and A. Dimitsantou-Kremezi. 2009. Investigation of the Application of the Module in the Traditional Architecture of Florina. Pp. 309-318 in Appropriate Interventions for the Safeguarding of Monuments and Historical Buildings. New Design Tendencies. Proceedings of the 3rd National Congress, M. Dousi, P. Nikiforidis, eds. Thessaloniki: Ianos Publications (in Greek).
- Oikonomou, A. et al. 2009. Application of the Module and Construction Principles in the Traditional Architecture of Northern Greece. Pp. 543-562 in LIVENARCH IV (RE/DE) Constructions in Architecture. 4th International Congress Liveable Environments and Architecture. vol. 2. Ş. Ö. Gür, ed. Trabzon, Turkey: Karadeniz Technical University, Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture.
- Oikonomou, K. 2003. I Architectoniki tis Koimiseos Theotokou stin Aiani Kozanis. Morfologiki- Typologiki Diereynisi (Architectural Remarks on the Church of the Koimises of Virgin Mary in Aiani). Thessaloniki (in Greek).
- Ousterhout R. (1999) Master Builders of Byzantium. Princeton University Press, Princeton
- Özdural, A. 1988. Sinan’s Arşin: A Survey of Ottoman Architectural Metrology. Pp. 101-115 in Muqarnas XV: An Annual on the Visual Culture of the Islamic World, G. Necipoglu, ed. Leiden: E.J. Brill.
- Prepis, A. 2007. Andrej Damjanov and his Contribution in Church Architecture of Western- Central Balkans in the 19th Century. In Istoria Domikon Kataskeuon (History of Constructions). National Conference, N. Barkas, ed. Xanthi: Department of Architecture, Democritus University of Thrace (in Greek).
- Popov I. (1955) Proporcii v Bulgarskata Arhitektura (Proportions in Bulgarian Architecture). Sofia, Hayka y Yekystvo (in Bulgarian)
- Rappoport P.A. (1995) Building the Churches of Kievan Russia. Hampshire, Variorum
- Sisa, B. 1990. Hungarian Wooden Belltowers of the Carpathian Basin. Pp. 305-352 in Armos, vol. A. Thessaloniki: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Polytechnic School, Department of Architecture.
- Stoichkov J. (1977) Za Arhitecturata na Koprivchtitza (The Architecture of Koprivchtitza). Sofia, Tehnika (in Bulgarian)
- Subotić, G. 1980. Ohridska Slikarska Škola XV Veka (L’Ecole de Peinture d’Ohrid au XVe Siecle). Belgrade. (in Serbian).
- Design and Tracing of Post-Byzantine Churches in the Florina Area, Northwestern Greece
Nexus Network Journal
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 495-515
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- architect’s cubit
- Byzantine foot
- design analysis
- Florina area
- northwestern Greece
- post-Byzantine period
- single-nave church
- three-aisled basilica
- structural systems
- ad quadratum
- ad triangulum
- geometric systems
- golden section
- harmonic proportions
- irrational numbers
- measuring systems
- proportional systems
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 25, Iasonos street, Vouliagmeni, 166 71, Athens, Greece