Interlocking, Ribbing and Folding: Explorations in Parametric Constructions
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents three projects involving the design and fabrication of architectural structures through the use of different parametric software and digital manufacturing methods. The first project is a flexible partition composed of interlocking elements shaped using a laser-cutter. The second project is a university exhibition unit made with various wooden panels manufactured through a computer numerical controlled (CNC) system. The third project is a system of metal sheets folded by digital machines to create urban circulation spaces. The three works develop a parametric programming of geometry based on certain technical factors, enabling the recognition of patterns of interaction between formal and constructive issues involved in the definition of shapes through parametric controls. Differences in materials and processes are contrasted by similarities of function and conditions involved, creating a system of local, global, productive and environmental parameters that produces a repertoire of self-similar dimensions and variations as well as multiple possibilities of initial setups and final configurations. It suggests a specific field of design exploration focusing on the development of differentiated components and variable architectural configurations, in a kind of open parametric system.
- Ambrose, M., Callam B., Kunkel J. and Wilson L. 2009. How To Make A Digi-Brick. Pp. 5- 12 in Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, 22-25 April 2009. Yunlin (Taiwan): National Yunlin University of Science and Technology.
- Arpak, A., L. Sass, and T. Knight. 2009. A Meta-Cognitive Inquiry into Digital Fabrication: Exploring the Activity of Designing and Making of a Wall Screen. Pp. 475-482 in Computation: 27th eCAADe Conference Proceedings, 16-19 September 2009. Istanbul (Turkey): Yildiz Technical University.
- Bonswetch, T., D. Kobel, F. Gramazio, and M. Kohler. 2006. The Informed Wall: Applying additive digital fabrication techniques on architecture. Pp. 489-495 in Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Design in Architecture, Louisville (Kentucky) University of Kentucky, Lexington.
- Brookes A.J., Poole D. (2004) Innovation in architecture. Spon Press – Taylor & Francis Group, London CrossRef
- Caldas, L. and J. Duarte. 2005. Fabricating Ceramic Covers. Pp. 269-276 in 23nd eCAADe Conference Proceedings, 21-24 September 2005. Lisbon, Technical University of Lisbon.
- Kieran S., Timberlake J. (2004) Refabricating Architecture, How Manufacturing Methodologies Are Poised to Transform Building Construction. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Menges, A. 2009. Performative Wood: Integral Computational Design for Timber Constructions. Pp. 66-74 in Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), , 22-25 October, 2009. Chicago: The School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Meredith M. (2008) From Control to Design: Parametric/Algorithmic Architecture. Actar, Barcelona
- Oesterle, S. 2009. Cultural Performance in Robotic Timber Construction. Pp. 194-200 in Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), , 22-25 October, 2009. Chicago: The School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Sass L., Botha M. (2006) The Instant House: A Model of Design Production with Digital Fabrication. International Journal of Architectural Computing 4(4): 109–123 CrossRef
- Shea K., Aish R., Gourtovaia M. (2005) Towards Integrated Performance-driven Generative Design Tools. In Automation in Construction 14(2): 253–264 CrossRef
- Stacey, M., 2004. Digital Fabricators. Waterloo (Canada): University of Waterloo School of Architecture Press.
- Zisimopoulou, K. and A. Fragkiadakis. 2006. Constructing the String Wall - Mapping the Material Process, Communicating Space(s). Pp. 326-335 in 24th eCAADe Conference Proceedings, 6-9 September 2006. Volos (Greece): University of Thessaly.
- Interlocking, Ribbing and Folding: Explorations in Parametric Constructions
Nexus Network Journal
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 221-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- parametric constructions
- digital manufacturing
- CNC system