Juan Bautista Villalpando and the Nature and Science of Architectural Drawing
- Tessa Morrison
- … show all 1 hide
In 1604, Jesuit priest and architect Juan Bautista Villalpando published In Ezechielem Explanationes, a massive three-volume scriptural exegesis on the Book of Ezekiel. Volume Two was dedicated to the reconstruction of Ezekiel’s vision of the Temple of Solomon and consists of five books: on the prophecy on the Temple; its plan and reconstruction; the justification of the reconstruction; its bronzes and ornamentation, and an entire book on the nature and science of architectural drawing. Initially the latter appears out of place in a Scriptural exegesis but he explained that the purpose of this book was to provide a guide for theologians so that they can form a mental idea or image of Temple, for their understanding and enlightenment of the entire Temple. However, throughout the text he points to the utility of the book to architects. For Villalpando the laws of optics were essential to the norms of perspective. Moreover, the sense and structure of seeing was a crucial element to the norms of mathematic and architecture, it is also a central theme in his theology. This paper examines his theory and his proposal of perspective for architecture drawing.
- Aristotle 1965. De Anima. R. D. Hicks trans. Amsterdam: A. M Hakkert.
- Arroyo-Furphy, Susana, and Laura Tolton. 2009. Appendix A: Documents Pertaining to the Dispute between Father Villalpando and Father Prado. Pp. 573-78 in Juan Bautista Villalpando’s Ezechielem Explanationes: A Sixteenth-Century Architectural Text. Tessa Morrison, ed. Lampeter, New York: Edwin Mellen.
- Loyola, Saint Ignatius of. 1996. Personal Writings: Reminiscences, Spiritual Diary, Selected Letters Including the Text of the Spiritual Exercises. Joseph A Munitiz and Philip Endean, trans. London: Penguin.
- Morrison, Tessa. 2009. Juan Bautista Villalpando’s Ezechielem Explanationes: A Sixteenth-Century Architectural Text. Lampeter, New York: Edwin Mellen.
- Ripoll, Antonio Martinez. 1991. El ‘Taller’ De Villalpando. Pp. 243-84 in Dios Arquitecto. Juan Antonio Ranirez, Rene Taylor, Andre Corboz, Robert Jan Van Pelt and Antonio Martinez Ripoll, eds. Madrid: Ediciones Siruela.
- Villalpando, Juan Bautista, and Jerónimo del Prado. 1604. Ezechielem Explanationes Et Apparatus Urbis Hierolymitani Commentariis Et Imaginibus Illustratus. 3 vols. Rome.
- Juan Bautista Villalpando and the Nature and Science of Architectural Drawing
Nexus Network Journal
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 63-73
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- Juan Bautista Villalpando
- architectural drawing
- seventeenth century
- perspective theory
- Tessa Morrison (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The School of Architecture and Built Environment, The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, 2308, Australia