A Linear-Time Algorithm for the Feasibility of Pebble Motion on Trees
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider the following pebble motion problem. We are given a tree T with n vertices and two arrangements \(\cal R\) and \(\cal S\) of k
Is arrangement \(\cal S\) reachable from \(\cal R\) ?
We present an algorithm that, on input two arrangements of k pebbles on a tree with n vertices, decides in time O(n) whether the two arrangements are reachable from one another. We also give an algorithm that, on input two reachable configurations, returns a sequence of moves that transforms one configuration into the other.
The pebble motion problem on trees has various applications including memory management in distributed systems, robot motion planning, and deflection routing.
- A Linear-Time Algorithm for the Feasibility of Pebble Motion on Trees
Volume 23, Issue 3 , pp 223-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Key words. Tree, Permutations, Feasibility, Pebble motion, Robot motion planning.
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Dipartimento di Informatica ed Applicazioni, ``R.M. Capocelli,'' Università di Salerno, 84081 Baronissi, Italy. email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, IT
- A2. Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Informazione, Università di Roma 1, ``La Sapienza,'' Roma, Italy. firstname.lastname@example.org., IT