On the blow-up rate and the blow-up set of breaking waves for a shallow water equation
- Adrian ConstantinAffiliated withInstitute for Mathematics, University Zürich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland
- , Joachim EscherAffiliated withInstitute for Mathematics, University Zürich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider the problem of the development of singularities for classical solutions to a new periodic shallow water equation. Blow-up can occur only in the form of wave-breaking, i.e. the solution remains bounded but its slope becomes unbounded in finite time. A quite detailed description of the wave-breaking phenomenon is given: there is at least a point (in general depending on time) where the slope becomes infinite exactly at breaking time. The precise blow-up rate is established and for a large class of initial data we also determine the blow-up set.
- On the blow-up rate and the blow-up set of breaking waves for a shallow water equation
Volume 233, Issue 1 , pp 75-91
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Mathematics Subject Classification (1991):35L05.
- Industry Sectors