String theory versus black hole complementarity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is argued that string theory on the Euclidean version of the Schwarzschild black hole — the cigar geometry — admits a zero mode that is localized at the tip of the cigar. The presence of this mode implies that in string theory, unlike in general relativity, the tip of the cigar is a special region. This is in tension with the Euclidean version of the black hole complementarity principle. We provide some qualitative arguments that link between this zero mode and the origin of the black hole entropy and firewall at the horizon.
- L. Susskind, L. Thorlacius and J. Uglum, The stretched horizon and black hole complementarity, Phys. Rev. D 48 (1993) 3743 [hep-th/9306069] [INSPIRE].
- N. Itzhaki, Is the black hole complementarity principle really necessary?, hep-th/9607028 [INSPIRE].
- G. ’t Hooft, The scattering matrix approach for the quantum black hole: an overview, Int. J. Mod. Phys. A 11 (1996) 4623 [gr-qc/9607022] [INSPIRE].
- A. Almheiri, D. Marolf, J. Polchinski and J. Sully, Black holes: complementarity or firewalls?, arXiv:1207.3123 [INSPIRE].
- D. Kutasov, Accelerating branes and the string/black hole transition, hep-th/0509170 [INSPIRE].
- D. Kutasov and D. Sahakyan, Comments on the thermodynamics of little string theory, JHEP 02 (2001) 021 [hep-th/0012258] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- N. Seiberg and E. Witten, Electric-magnetic duality, monopole condensation and confinement in N = 2 supersymmetric Yang-Mills theory, Nucl. Phys. B 426 (1994) 19 [Erratum ibid. B 430 (1994) 485-486] [hep-th/9407087] [INSPIRE].
- A. Strominger, Massless black holes and conifolds in string theory, Nucl. Phys. B 451 (1995) 96 [hep-th/9504090] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- L. Susskind, Complementarity and firewalls, arXiv:1207.4090.
- L. Susskind, String theory and the principles of black hole complementarity, Phys. Rev. Lett. 71 (1993) 2367 [hep-th/9307168] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- L. Susskind, Strings, black holes and Lorentz contraction, Phys. Rev. D 49 (1994) 6606 [hep-th/9308139] [INSPIRE].
- String theory versus black hole complementarity
Journal of High Energy Physics
- Online Date
- December 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Black Holes in String Theory
- Tachyon Condensation
- Industry Sectors