Universal thermal and electrical conductivity from holography
- Sachin Jain
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It is known from earlier work of Iqbal, Liu  that the boundary transport coefficients such as electrical conductivity (at vanishing chemical potential), shear viscosity etc. at low frequency and finite temperature can be expressed in terms of geometrical quantities evaluated at the horizon. In the case of electrical conductivity, at zero chemical potential gauge field fluctuation and metric fluctuation decouples, resulting in a trivial flow from horizon to boundary. In the presence of chemical potential, the story becomes complicated due to the fact that gauge field and metric fluctuation can no longer be decoupled. This results in a nontrivial flow from horizon to boundary. Though horizon conductivity can be expressed in terms of geometrical quantities evaluated at the horizon, there exist no such neat result for electrical conductivity at the boundary. In this paper we propose an expression for boundary conductivity expressed in terms of geometrical quantities evaluated at the horizon and thermodynamic quantities. We also consider the theory at finite cutoff recently constructed in , at radius r c outside the horizon and give an expression for cutoff dependent electrical conductivity (σ(r c )), which interpolates smoothly between horizon conductivity σ H (r c → r h ) and boundary conductivity σ B (r c → ∞). Using the results about the conductivity we gain much insight into the universality of thermal conductivity to viscosity ratio proposed in .
- N. Iqbal and H. Liu, Universality of the hydrodynamic limit in AdS/CFT and the membrane paradigm, Phys. Rev. D 79 (2009) 025023 [arXiv:0809.3808] [SPIRES].
- I. Bredberg, C. Keeler, V. Lysov and A. Strominger, Wilsonian Approach to Fluid/Gravity Duality, arXiv:1006.1902 [SPIRES].
- S. Jain, Universal properties of thermal and electrical conductivity of gauge theory plasmas from holography, JHEP 06 (2010) 023 [arXiv:0912.2719] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- R.C. Myers, M.F. Paulos and A. Sinha, Holographic Hydrodynamics with a Chemical Potential, JHEP 06 (2009) 006 [arXiv:0903.2834] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- S. Jain, Holographic electrical and thermal conductivity in strongly coupled gauge theory with multiple chemical potentials, JHEP 03 (2010) 101 [arXiv:0912.2228] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- D.T. Son and A.O. Starinets, Minkowski-space correlators in AdS/CFT correspondence: recipe and applications, JHEP 09 (2002) 042 [hep-th/0205051] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- D.T. Son and A.O. Starinets, Hydrodynamics of R-charged black holes, JHEP 03 (2006) 052 [hep-th/0601157] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- S.A. Hartnoll, Lectures on holographic methods for condensed matter physics, Class. Quant. Grav. 26 (2009) 224002 [arXiv:0903.3246] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- S.A. Hartnoll and C.P. Herzog, Ohm’s Law at strong coupling: S duality and the cyclotron resonance, Phys. Rev. D 76 (2007) 106012 [arXiv:0706.3228] [SPIRES].
- X.-H. Ge, Y. Matsuo, F.-W. Shu, S.-J. Sin and T. Tsukioka, Density Dependence of Transport Coefficients from Holographic Hydrodynamics, Prog. Theor. Phys. 120 (2008) 833 [arXiv:0806.4460] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- K. Maeda, M. Natsuume and T. Okamura, Dynamic critical phenomena in the AdS/CFT duality, Phys. Rev. D 78 (2008) 106007 [arXiv:0809.4074] [SPIRES].
- S. Jain, S. Mukherji and S. Mukhopadhyay, Notes on R-charged black holes near criticality and gauge theory, JHEP 11 (2009) 051 [arXiv:0906.5134] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- S.A. Hartnoll and P. Kovtun, Hall conductivity from dyonic black holes, Phys. Rev. D 76 (2007) 066001 [arXiv:0704.1160] [SPIRES].
- P. Kovtun and A. Ritz, Universal conductivity and central charges, Phys. Rev. D 78 (2008) 066009 [arXiv:0806.0110] [SPIRES].
- K. Behrndt, M. Cvetič and W.A. Sabra, Non-extreme black holes of five dimensional N = 2 AdS supergravity, Nucl. Phys. B 553 (1999) 317 [hep-th/9810227] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- S. Kachru, X. Liu and M. Mulligan, Gravity Duals of Lifshitz-like Fixed Points, Phys. Rev. D 78 (2008) 106005 [arXiv:0808.1725] [SPIRES].
- U.H. Danielsson and L. Thorlacius, Black holes in asymptotically Lifshitz spacetime, JHEP 03 (2009) 070 [arXiv:0812.5088] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- R.B. Mann, Lifshitz Topological Black Holes, JHEP 06 (2009) 075 [arXiv:0905.1136] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- G. Bertoldi, B.A. Burrington and A. Peet, Black Holes in asymptotically Lifshitz spacetimes with arbitrary critical exponent, Phys. Rev. D 80 (2009) 126003 [arXiv:0905.3183] [SPIRES].
- G. Bertoldi, B.A. Burrington and A.W. Peet, Thermodynamics of black branes in asymptotically Lifshitz spacetimes, Phys. Rev. D 80 (2009) 126004 [arXiv:0907.4755] [SPIRES].
- M. Taylor, Non-relativistic holography, arXiv:0812.0530 [SPIRES].
- D.-W. Pang, A Note on Black Holes in Asymptotically Lifshitz Spacetime, arXiv:0905.2678 [SPIRES].
- K. Balasubramanian and J. McGreevy, An analytic Lifshitz black hole, Phys. Rev. D 80 (2009) 104039 [arXiv:0909.0263] [SPIRES].
- E. Ayon-Beato, A. Garbarz, G. Giribet and M. Hassaine, Lifshitz Black Hole in Three Dimensions, Phys. Rev. D 80 (2009) 104029 [arXiv:0909.1347] [SPIRES].
- R.-G. Cai, Y. Liu and Y.-W. Sun, A Lifshitz Black Hole in Four Dimensional R 2 Gravity, JHEP 10 (2009) 080 [arXiv:0909.2807] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- S.-J. Sin, S.-S. Xu and Y. Zhou, Holographic Superconductor for a Lifshitz fixed point, arXiv:0909.4857 [SPIRES].
- Y.S. Myung, Y.-W. Kim and Y.-J. Park, Dilaton gravity approach to three dimensional Lifshitz black hole, arXiv:0910.4428 [SPIRES].
- E. Ayon-Beato, A. Garbarz, G. Giribet and M. Hassaine, Analytic Lifshitz black holes in higher dimensions, JHEP 04 (2010) 030 [arXiv:1001.2361] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- T. Azeyanagi, W. Li and T. Takayanagi, On String Theory Duals of Lifshitz-like Fixed Points, JHEP 06 (2009) 084 [arXiv:0905.0688] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- W. Li, T. Nishioka and T. Takayanagi, Some No-go Theorems for String Duals of Non-relativistic Lifshitz-like Theories, JHEP 10 (2009) 015 [arXiv:0908.0363] [SPIRES].
- E.J. Brynjolfsson, U.H. Danielsson, L. Thorlacius and T. Zingg, Holographic Superconductors with Lifshitz Scaling, J. Phys. A 43 (2010) 065401 [arXiv:0908.2611] [SPIRES].
- D.-W. Pang, On Charged Lifshitz Black Holes, JHEP 01 (2010) 116 [arXiv:0911.2777] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- D.-W. Pang, Conductivity and Diffusion Constant in Lifshitz Backgrounds, JHEP 01 (2010) 120 [arXiv:0912.2403] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- B. Hassanain and M. Schvellinger, Towards ’t Hooft parameter corrections to charge transport in strongly-coupled plasma, JHEP 10 (2010) 068 [arXiv:1006.5480] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- M. Edalati, J.I. Jottar and R.G. Leigh, Transport Coefficients at Zero Temperature from Extremal Black Holes, JHEP 01 (2010) 018 [arXiv:0910.0645] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- G.L. Cardoso and V. Grass, On five-dimensional non-extremal charged black holes and FRW cosmology, Nucl. Phys. B 803 (2008) 209 [arXiv:0803.2819] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- M. Torabian and H.-U. Yee, Holographic nonlinear hydrodynamics from AdS/CFT with multiple/non-Abelian symmetries, JHEP 08 (2009) 020 [arXiv:0903.4894] [SPIRES]. CrossRef
- Universal thermal and electrical conductivity from holography
Journal of High Energy Physics
- Online Date
- November 2010
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Gauge-gravity correspondence
- AdS-CFT Correspondence
- Industry Sectors
- Sachin Jain (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Physics, Sachivalaya Marg, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, 751005, India