Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We explore the possibility that supersymmetry breaking is mediated to the Standard Model sector through the interactions of a generalized axion multiplet that gains a F-term expectation value. Using an effective field theory framework we enumerate the most general possible set of axion couplings and compute the Standard Model sector soft-supersymmetry-breaking terms. Unusual, non-minimal spectra, such as those of both natural and split supersymmetry are easily implemented. We discuss example models and low-energy spectra, as well as implications of the particularly minimal case of mediation via the QCD axion multiplet. We argue that if the Peccei-Quinn solution to the strong-CP problem is realized in string theory then such axion-mediation is generic, while in a field theory model it is a natural possibility in both DFSZ- and KSVZ-like regimes. Axion mediation can parametrically dominate gravity-mediation and is also cosmologically beneficial as the constraints arising from axino and gravitino overproduction are reduced. Finally, in the string context, axion mediation provides a motivated mechanism where the UV completion naturally ameliorates the supersymmetric flavor problem.
- Axion mediation
Journal of High Energy Physics
- Online Date
- July 2013
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Supersymmetry Phenomenology
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Stanford Institute for Theoretical Physics, Department of Physics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 94305, U.S.A.
- 2. Rudolf Peierls Centre for Theoretical Physics, University of Oxford, 1 Keble Road, Oxford, OX1 3NP, U.K.