Scalar gauge fields
In this paper we give a variation of the gauge procedure which employs a scalar gauge field, B(x), in addition to the usual vector gauge field, A μ (x). We study this variant of the usual gauge procedure in the context of a complex scalar, matter field ϕ(x) with a U(1) symmetry. We will focus most on the case when ϕ develops a vacuum expectation value via spontaneous symmetry breaking. We find that under these conditions the scalar gauge field mixes with the Goldstone boson that arises from the breaking of a global symmetry. Some other interesting features of this scalar gauge model are: (i) The new gauge procedure gives rise to terms which violate C and CP symmetries. This may have have applications in cosmology or for CP violation in particle physics; (ii) the existence of mass terms in the Lagrangian which respect the new extended gauge symmetry. Thus one can have gauge field mass terms even in the absence of the usual Higgs mechanism; (iii) the emergence of a sine-Gordon potential for the scalar gauge field; (iv) a natural, axion-like suppression of the interaction strength of the scalar gauge boson.
- E.C.G. Stueckelberg, Interaction energy in electrodynamics and in the field theory of nuclear forces, Helv. Phys. Acta 11 (1938) 225 [INSPIRE].
- H. Ruegg and M. Ruiz-Altaba, The Stueckelberg field, Int. J. Mod. Phys. A 19 (2004) 3265 [hep-th/0304245] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- E. Guendelman, Gauge invariance and mass without spontaneous symmetry breaking, Phys. Rev. Lett. 43 (1979) 543 [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- A. Kato and D. Singleton, Gauging dual symmetry, Int. J. Theor. Phys. 41 (2002) 1563 [hep-th/0106277] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- J.D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd edition, section 6.11, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1999.
- A. Saa, Local electromagnetic duality and gauge invariance, Class. Quant. Grav. 28 (2011) 127002 [arXiv:1101.3927] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- M. Chaves and H. Morales, Unification of SU(2) × U(1) using a generalized covariant derivative and U(3), Mod. Phys. Lett. A 13 (1998) 2021 [hep-th/9801088] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- M. Chaves and H. Morales, Grand unification using a generalized Yang-Mills theory, Mod. Phys. Lett. A 15 (2000) 197 [hep-th/9911162] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- D. Singleton, A. Kato and A. Yoshida, Gauge procedure with gauge fields of various ranks, Phys. Lett. A 330 (2004) 326 [hep-th/0408031] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- E. Guendelman, Coupling Electromagnetism to Global Charge, Int. J. Mod. Phys. A 28 (2013) 1350169 [arXiv:1307.6913] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- E.I. Guendelman and R. Steiner, Confining Boundary conditions from dynamical Coupling Constants, arXiv:1311.2536 [INSPIRE].
- J.M. Cornwall, Dynamical Mass Generation in Continuum QCD, Phys. Rev. D 26 (1982) 1453 [INSPIRE].
- Ta-Pei Cheng and Ling-Fong Li, Gauge Theory of elementary Particle Physics, Oxford Science Publications, Clarendon Press, Oxford, Oxford University Press, New York, 1988.
- F.L. Bezrukov and M. Shaposhnikov, The Standard Model Higgs boson as the inflaton, Phys. Lett. B 659 (2008) 703 [arXiv:0710.3755] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- F. Bezrukov, The Higgs field as an inflaton, Class. Quant. Grav. 30 (2013) 214001 [arXiv:1307.0708] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- R. Rajaraman, Solitons and Instantons: an Introduction to Solitons and Instantons in Quantum Field Theory, pg. 34, North-Holland, 1989.
- J.E. Kim and G. Carosi, Axions and the Strong CP Problem, Rev. Mod. Phys. 82 (2010) 557 [arXiv:0807.3125] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- E. Leader and C. Lorce, The angular momentum controversy: What’s it all about and does it matter?, Phys. Rept. (2013) [arXiv:1309.4235] [INSPIRE].
- D. Singleton, ‘Electromagnetic’ answer to the nucleon spin puzzle, Phys. Lett. B 427 (1998) 155 [hep-ph/9710201] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- D. Singleton and V.D. Dzhunushaliev, Orbital angular momentum in the nucleon spin, Found. Phys. 30 (2000) 1093 [hep-ph/9807239] [INSPIRE]. CrossRef
- Scalar gauge fields
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of High Energy Physics
- Online Date
- May 2014
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Gauge Symmetry
- Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking
- Industry Sectors