Anomalous transport coefficients from Kubo formulas in Holography
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the presence of dense matter quantum anomalies give rise to two new transport phenomena. An anomalous current is generated either by an external magnetic field or through vortices in the fluid carrying the anomalous charge. The associated transport coefficients are the anomalous magnetic and vortical conductivities. Whereas a Kubo formula for the anomalous magnetic conductivity is well known we develop a new Kubo type formula that allows the calculation of the vortical conductivity through a two point function of the anomalous current and the energy current. We also point out that the anomalous vortical conductivity can be understood as a response to a gravitomagnetic field. We apply these Kubo formulas to a simple holographic system, the R-charged black hole.
- A. Deshpande et al., Workshop on P- and CP-odd Effects in Hot and Dense Matter, Brookhaven National Laboratory, RIKEN Research Center Workshop, April 2010.
- A.Y. Alekseev, V.V. Cheianov and J. Fröhlich, Universality of transport properties in equilibrium, Goldstone theorem and chiral anomaly, cond-mat/9803346 [SPIRES].
- Giovannini, M, Shaposhnikov, ME (1998) Primordial hypermagnetic fields and triangle anomaly. Phys. Rev. D 57: pp. 2186
- Kharzeev, DE, McLerran, LD, Warringa, HJ (2008) The effects of topological charge change in heavy ion collisions: ’Event by event P and CP-violation’. Nucl. Phys. A 803: pp. 227 CrossRef
- Fukushima, K, Kharzeev, DE, Warringa, HJ (2008) The Chiral Magnetic Effect. Phys. Rev. D 78: pp. 074033
- Kharzeev, DE, Warringa, HJ (2009) Chiral Magnetic conductivity. Phys. Rev. D 80: pp. 034028
- Fukushima, K, Kharzeev, DE, Warringa, HJ (2010) Real-time dynamics of the Chiral Magnetic Effect. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104: pp. 212001 CrossRef
- Fukushima, K, Kharzeev, DE, Warringa, HJ (2010) Electric-current Susceptibility and the Chiral Magnetic Effect. Nucl. Phys. A 836: pp. 311
- Müller, B, Schafer, A (2010) Charge Fluctuations from the Chiral Magnetic Effect in Nuclear Collisions. Phys. Rev. C 82: pp. 057902
- Orlovsky, VD, Shevchenko, VI (2010) Towards a quantum theory of chiral magnetic effect. Phys. Rev. D 82: pp. 094032
- S. Pu, J.-h. Gao and Q. Wang, A consistent description of kinetic equation with triangle anomaly, arXiv:1008.2418 [SPIRES].
- Nam, S-i (2010) Vector current correlation and charge separation via chiral magnetic effect. Phys. Rev. D 82: pp. 045017
- W.-j. Fu, Y.-x. Liu and Y.-l. Wu, Chiral Magnetic Effect and QCD Phase Transitions with Effective Models, arXiv:1003.4169 [SPIRES].
- Asakawa, M, Majumder, A, Müller, B (2010) Electric Charge Separation in Strong Transient Magnetic Fields. Phys. Rev. C 81: pp. 064912
- Fukushima, K, Ruggieri, M, Gatto, R (2010) Chiral magnetic effect in the PNJL model. Phys. Rev. D 81: pp. 114031
- Fu, W-J, Wu, Y-L, Liu, Y-X (2011) Chiral Magnetic Effect and Chiral Phase Transition. Commun. Theor. Phys. 55: pp. 123 CrossRef
- S.-i. Nam, Chiral magnetic effect (CME) at low temperature from instanton vacuum, arXiv:0912.1933 [SPIRES].
- Kharzeev, DE (2010) Topologically induced local P and CP-violation in QCD x QED. Annals Phys. 325: pp. 205 CrossRef
- D.K. Hong, Anomalous currents in dense matter under a magnetic field, arXiv:1010.3923 [SPIRES].
- Fukushima, K, Ruggieri, M (2010) Dielectric correction to the Chiral Magnetic Effect. Phys. Rev. D 82: pp. 054001
- Buividovich, PV, Chernodub, MN, Luschevskaya, EV, Polikarpov, MI (2009) Numerical evidence of chiral magnetic effect in lattice gauge theory. Phys. Rev. D 80: pp. 054503
- M. Abramczyk, T. Blum, G. Petropoulos and R. Zhou, Chiral magnetic effect in 2+1 flavor QCD+QED, PoS(LAT2009)181 [arXiv:0911.1348] [SPIRES].
- P.V. Buividovich, M.N. Chernodub, E.V. Luschevskaya and M.I. Polikarpov, Numerical study of chiral magnetic effect in quenched SU(2) lattice gauge theory, PoS(LAT2009)080 [arXiv:0910.4682] [SPIRES].
- Kharzeev, DE, Yee, H-U (2011) Chiral Magnetic Wave. Phys. Rev. D 83: pp. 085007
- Rebhan, A, Schmitt, A, Stricker, SA (2010) Anomalies and the chiral magnetic effect in the Sakai-Sugimoto model. JHEP 01: pp. 026 CrossRef
- Yee, H-U (2009) Holographic Chiral Magnetic Conductivity. JHEP 11: pp. 085 CrossRef
- Rebhan, A, Schmitt, A, Stricker, S (2010) Holographic chiral currents in a magnetic field. Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. 186: pp. 463 CrossRef
- Gorsky, A, Kopnin, PN, Zayakin, AV (2011) On the Chiral Magnetic Effect in Soft-Wall AdS/QCD. Phys. Rev. D 83: pp. 014023
- Gynther, A, Landsteiner, K, Pena-Benitez, F, Rebhan, A (2011) Holographic Anomalous Conductivities and the Chiral Magnetic Effect. JHEP 02: pp. 110 CrossRef
- V.A. Rubakov, On chiral magnetic effect and holography, arXiv:1005.1888 [SPIRES].
- Erdmenger, J, Haack, M, Kaminski, M, Yarom, A (2009) Fluid dynamics of R-charged black holes. JHEP 01: pp. 055 CrossRef
- Banerjee, N (2011) Hydrodynamics from charged black branes. JHEP 01: pp. 094 CrossRef
- Son, DT, Surowka, P (2009) Hydrodynamics with Triangle Anomalies. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103: pp. 191601 CrossRef
- Kharzeev, DE, Son, DT (2011) Testing the chiral magnetic and chiral vortical effects in heavy ion collisions. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106: pp. 062301 CrossRef
- Keren-Zur, B, Oz, Y (2010) Hydrodynamics and the Detection of the QCD Axial Anomaly in Heavy Ion Collisions. JHEP 06: pp. 006 CrossRef
- Sadofyev, AV, Isachenkov, MV (2011) The chiral magnetic effect in hydrodynamical approach. Phys. Lett. B 697: pp. 404
- Torabian, M, Yee, H-U (2009) Holographic nonlinear hydrodynamics from AdS/CFT with multiple/non-Abelian symmetries. JHEP 08: pp. 020 CrossRef
- Neiman, Y, Oz, Y (2011) Relativistic Hydrodynamics with General Anomalous Charges. JHEP 03: pp. 023 CrossRef
- T. Kalaydzhyan and I. Kirsch, Fluid/gravity model for the chiral magnetic effect, arXiv:1102.4334 [SPIRES].
- Landsman, NP, Weert, CG (1987) Real and Imaginary Time Field Theory at Finite Temperature and Density. Phys. Rept. 145: pp. 141 CrossRef
- T.S. Evans, The Condensed Matter Limit of Relativistic QFT, hep-ph/9510298 [SPIRES].
- Kogut, JB, Stephanov, MA, Toublan, D, Verbaarschot, JJM, Zhitnitsky, A (2000) QCD-like theories at finite baryon density. Nucl. Phys. B 582: pp. 477 CrossRef
- Matsuo, Y, Sin, S-J, Takeuchi, S, Tsukioka, T (2010) Magnetic conductivity and Chern-Simons Term in Holographic Hydrodynamics of Charged AdS Black Hole. JHEP 04: pp. 071 CrossRef
- Sahoo, B, Yee, H-U (2010) Holographic chiral shear waves from anomaly. Phys. Lett. B 689: pp. 206
- K. Landsteiner, E. Megias and F. Pena-Benitez, work in progress.
- Luttinger, JM (1964) Theory of Thermal Transport Coefficients. Phys. Rev. 135: pp. 1505 CrossRef
- A.V. Sadofyev, V.I. Shevchenko and V.I. Zakharov, Notes on chiral hydrodynamics within effective theory approach, arXiv:1012.1958 [SPIRES].
- B. Mashhoon, Gravitoelectromagnetism: A Brief Review, gr-qc/0311030 [SPIRES].
- Balasubramanian, V, Kraus, P (1999) A stress tensor for anti-de Sitter gravity. Commun. Math. Phys. 208: pp. 413 CrossRef
- Son, DT, Starinets, AO (2002) Minkowski-space correlators in AdS/CFT correspondence: Recipe and applications. JHEP 09: pp. 042 CrossRef
- Herzog, CP, Son, DT (2003) Schwinger-Keldysh propagators from AdS/CFT correspondence. JHEP 03: pp. 046 CrossRef
- Amado, I, Kaminski, M, Landsteiner, K (2009) Hydrodynamics of Holographic Superconductors. JHEP 05: pp. 021 CrossRef
- Kaminski, M, Landsteiner, K, Mas, J, Shock, JP, Tarrio, J (2010) Holographic Operator Mixing and Quasinormal Modes on the Brane. JHEP 02: pp. 021 CrossRef
- Anomalous transport coefficients from Kubo formulas in Holography
Journal of High Energy Physics
- Online Date
- May 2011
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Holography and quark-gluon plasmas
- Holography and condensed matter physics (AdS/CMT)
- AdS-CFT Correspondence
- Anomalies in Field and String Theories
- Industry Sectors