Energy positivity, non-renormalization, and holomorphy in Lorentz-violating supersymmetric theories
- Adam B. Clark
- … show all 1 hide
This paper shows that the positive-energy and non-renormalization theorems of traditional supersymmetry survive the addition of Lorentz violating interactions. The Lorentz-violating coupling constants in theories using the construction of Berger and Kostelecky must obey certain constraints in order to preserve the positive energy theorem. Seiberg’s holomorphic arguments are used to prove that the superpotential remains non-renormalized (perturbatively) in the presence of Lorentz-violating interactions of the Berger-Kostelecky type. We briefly comment on Lorentz-violating theories of the type constructed by Nibbelink and Pospelov to note that holomorphy arguments offer elegant proofs of many non-renormalization results, some known by other arguments, some new.
- Berger, M, Kostelecky, VA (2002) Supersymmetry and Lorentz violation. Phys. Rev. D 65: pp. 091701
- Groot Nibbelink, S, Pospelov, M (2005) Lorentz violation in supersymmetric field theories. Phys. Rev. Lett. 94: pp. 081601 CrossRef
- Intriligator, KA, Leigh, R, Seiberg, N (1994) Exact superpotentials in four-dimensions. Phys. Rev. D 50: pp. 1092
- Colladay, D, Kostelecky, VA (1997) CPT violation and the standard model. Phys. Rev. D 55: pp. 6760
- Kostelecky, VA, Lehnert, R (2001) Stability, causality and Lorentz and CPT violation. Phys. Rev. D 63: pp. 065008
- Colladay, D, McDonald, P (2011) Vector Superfields and Lorentz Violation. Phys. Rev. D 83: pp. 025021
- Bolokhov, PA, Groot Nibbelink, S, Pospelov, M (2005) Lorentz violating supersymmetric quantum electrodynamics. Phys. Rev. D 72: pp. 015013
- Kostelecky, VA, Russell, N (2011) Data tables for Lorentz and CPT Violation. Rev. Mod. Phys. 83: pp. 11 CrossRef
- N. Seiberg, The power of holomorphy: Exact results in 4 − D SUSY field theories, hep-th/9408013 [INSPIRE].
- Colladay, D, McDonald, P (2009) One-Loop Renormalization of the Electroweak Sector with Lorentz Violation. Phys. Rev. D 79: pp. 125019
- Colladay, D, McDonald, P (2008) One-Loop Renormalization of QCD with Lorentz Violation. Phys. Rev. D 77: pp. 085006
- Colladay, D, McDonald, P (2007) One-Loop Renormalization of Pure Yang-Mills with Lorentz Violation. Phys. Rev. D 75: pp. 105002
- Redigolo, D (2012) On Lorentz-Violating Supersymmetric Quantum Field Theories. Phys. Rev. D 85: pp. 085009
- J. Wess and J. Bagger, Supersymmetry and supergravity, Princeton University Press, Princeton U.S.A. (1992), pg. 259.
- S.P. Martin, A supersymmetry primer, hep-ph/9709356 [INSPIRE].
- Weinberg, S (1998) Nonrenormalization theorems in nonrenormalizable theories. Phys. Rev. Lett. 80: pp. 3702 CrossRef
- Ferrero, A, Altschul, B (2011) Renormalization of Scalar and Yukawa Field Theories with Lorentz Violation. Phys. Rev. D 84: pp. 065030
- Farias, C, Lehum, A, Nascimento, J, Petrov, AY (2012) On the superfield supersymmetric aether-like Lorentz-breaking models. Phys. Rev. D 86: pp. 065035
- Jain, P, Ralston, JP (2005) Supersymmetry and the Lorentz fine tuning problem. Phys. Lett. B 621: pp. 213 CrossRef
- Seiberg, N (1988) Supersymmetry and Nonperturbative β-functions. Phys. Lett. B 206: pp. 75 CrossRef
- Shifman, MA, Vainshtein, A (1986) Solution of the Anomaly Puzzle in SUSY Gauge Theories and the Wilson Operator Expansion. Nucl. Phys. B 277: pp. 456 CrossRef
- Novikov, V, Shifman, MA, Vainshtein, A, Zakharov, VI (1983) Exact Gell-Mann-Low Function of Supersymmetric Yang-Mills Theories from Instanton Calculus. Nucl. Phys. B 229: pp. 381 CrossRef
- Arkani-Hamed, N, Murayama, H (2000) Holomorphy, rescaling anomalies and exact β-functions in supersymmetric gauge theories. JHEP 06: pp. 030 CrossRef
- M.J. Strassler, An unorthodox introduction to supersymmetric gauge theory, hep-th/0309149 [INSPIRE].
- A. Bilal, Duality in N = 2 SUSY SU(2) Yang-Mills theory: A pedagogical introduction to the work of Seiberg and Witten, hep-th/9601007 [INSPIRE].
- Álvarez-Gaumé, L, Hassan, S (1997) Introduction to S duality in N = 2 supersymmetric gauge theories: A pedagogical review of the work of Seiberg and Witten. Fortsch. Phys. 45: pp. 159 CrossRef
- Kiritsis, E (2013) Lorentz violation, Gravity, Dissipation and Holography. JHEP 01: pp. 030 CrossRef
- Sundrum, R (2008) Gravitational Lorentz Violation and Superluminality via AdS/CFT Duality. Phys. Rev. D 77: pp. 086002
- Energy positivity, non-renormalization, and holomorphy in Lorentz-violating supersymmetric theories
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of High Energy Physics
- Online Date
- January 2014
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Space-Time Symmetries
- Supersymmetric Effective Theories
- Industry Sectors
- Adam B. Clark (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew St, Allentown, PA, 18104, U.S.A