Incorporation of Mental Health Content into Pharmacist Training for Diabetes Management
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Current trends call attention to the importance of behavioral health considerations in education for diabetes management. The article describes a recent effort at incorporating mental health content into a college of pharmacy diabetes elective. Preliminary student feedback suggests that the lecture was novel and well-received.
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013; 36(1): S11–S66. CrossRef
- Crabtree BF, Nutting PA, Miller WL, Stangle KC, Stewart EE, Jaen CR. Summary of the National Demonstration Project and Recommendations for the Patient — Centered Medical Home. Ann Fam Med. 2010;8(1):s80–s90. CrossRef
- Gilfillan RJ, Tomcavage J, Rosenthal MB, Davis DE, Graham J, Roy JA, et al. Value and the medical home: Effects of transformed primary care. Am J Manag Care. 2010;16(8):607–614.
- Crabtree BF, Chase SM, Wise CG, Schiff GD, Schmidt LA, Goyzueta JR, et al. Evaluation of patient centered medical home practice transformation initiatives. Med Care. 2011; 49(1):10–16. CrossRef
- Casalino LP, Rittenhouse DR, Gillies RR, Shortell SM. Specialist physician practices as patient-centered medical homes. N Engl J Med. 2010; 362:1555–1558. CrossRef
- Ferrante JM, Balasubramanian BA, Hudson SV, Crabtree BF. Principles of the patient-centered medical home and preventive services delivery. Ann Fam Med. 2010; 8(2):108–116. CrossRef
- American Diabetes Association. Psychosocial factors affecting adherence, quality of life, and well-being: helping patients cope. In: Kaufman FR, editor. Medical Management of Type 1 Diabetes. 5th ed. Alexandria,VA: American Diabetes Association; 2008, p. 173–193.
- Rubin RR, Peyrot M. Psychological issues and treatments for people with diabetes. J Clin Psychol. 2001;57:457–478. CrossRef
- Cimo A, Stergiopoulos F, Cheng C, Bonato S, Dewa CS. Effective lifestyle interventions to improve type II diabetes self-management for those with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder: a systematic review. BMC Psychiatry. 2012;12(24): 1–9.
- College of Psychiatric and Neurological Pharmacists. Psychiatric Pharmacist Integration into the Medical Home Model Position Statement. [updated 2012 Apr 3; cited 2013 May 16]. Available from: cpnp.org/about/position/medical-home-model.
- Croghan TW, Brown JD. Integrating mental health treatment into the patient centered medical home. In: Mathematica policy research. AHRQ Publication No. 10-0084-EF ed.
- Incorporation of Mental Health Content into Pharmacist Training for Diabetes Management
Medical Science Educator
Volume 23, Issue 3 Supplement, pp 411-413
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Mental health
- pharmacy training