Inverse association of serum cholesterol with plasma insulin in the elderly. Cross-sectional and prospective analyses
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cross-sectional studies have suggested that high plasma insulin is associated with relatively low levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol. The present study was aimed at re-testing this association in a 70-year-old age cohort (N=1023), and testing whether it could be caused by excessive mortality of hyperinsulinemic subjects with high LDL-cholesterol. A reverse U-shaped association between LDL-cholesterol and fasting plasma insulin was confirmed. LDL-cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol and total cholesterol were lowest in the highest insulin quarter. These associations remained after adjustment for diabetes, obesity and general health status. The combination of high LDL-cholesterol (>4.25 mmol/L, 75th percentile) and high insulin (>10 IU/L, 50th percentile) was not associated with excess 5-year mortality in this age cohort. Nor was it associated with excess mortality in four other elderly age cohorts (N=1188), in which similar associations of cholesterol and insulin have been demonstrated. Thus, the inverse association of LDL-cholesterol with fasting insulin in the elderly is not caused by selective over mortality.
- Després J.P., Lamarche B., Mauriege P., Cantin B., Dagenais G.R., Moorjani S., Lupien P.J.: Hyperinsulinemia as an independent risk factor for ischemic heart disease. N. Engl. J. Med. 334: 952–957, 1996. CrossRef
- Wingard D.L., Ferrara A., Barrett-Connor E.L.: Is insulin really a heart disease risk factor? Diabetes Care 18: 1299–1304, 1995.
- Jarrett R.J.: Why is insulin not a risk factor for coronary heart disease. Diabetologia 37: 945–947, 1994. CrossRef
- Strandberg T.E., Tilvis R.S., Lindberg O., Valvanne J., Sairanen S., Ehnholm C., Tuomilehto J.: High plasma insulin associates with lower LDL cholesterol in elderly individuals. Atherosclerosis 121: 267–273, 1996. CrossRef
- Calori G., Garancini P., Ruotolo G., Ragogna F., Ruggeri P., Gallus G.: Relationship between insulinemia and LDL cholesterol in nondiabetic subjects: The Cremona population study. Diabetologia 38 (Suppl. 1): A248, 1995 (Abstract).
- Friedewald W.T., Levy R.I., Fredrickson D.S.: Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin. Chem. 18: 499, 1972.
- Dixon W.J.: BMDP statistical software manual, Vol. I–II. University of California Press, Los Angeles, 1992.
- Lindberg O., Iivanainen A., Strandberg T., Valvanne J., Tilvis R.: Low cholesterol, morbidity and mortality in the elderly: Experience from the Helsinki Ageing Study. Cardiovasc. Risk 5: 167–172, 1995.
- Lindberg O., Tilvis R.S., Strandberg T.E., Valvanne J., Sairanen S., Ehnholm C., Tuomilehto J.: Elevated fasting plasma insulin in a general aged population: an innocent companion of cardiovascular diseases. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 45: 407–412, 1997.
- Manolio T.A., Ettinger W.H., Tracy R.P., Kuller L.H., Borhani N.O., Lynch J.C., Fried L.P.: Epidemiology of low cholesterol levels in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Circulation 87: 728–737, 1993. CrossRef
- Bosner M.S., Stenson W., Turnbough P., Block S., Kobayashi L., Schweitzer A., Ostlund R.E.: Percent cholesterol absorption in normal human subjects by negative ion gas chromatography mass spectrometry. J. Am. Coll. Card. 27: 413A, 1996. CrossRef
- Gylling H., Miettinen T.A.: Cholesterol absorption, synthesis and LDL-metabolism in NIDDM. Diabetes Care 20: 90–95, 1997. CrossRef
- Strandberg T.E., Salomaa V., Vanhanen H., Miettinen T.A.: Associations of fasting blood glucose with cholesterol absorption and synthesis in nondiabetic middle-aged men. Diabetes 45: 755–761, 1996. CrossRef
- Chait A., Bierman E.L., Albers J.J.: Low density lipoprotein receptor activity in cultured fibroblasts. J. Clin. Invest. 64: 1309–1319, 1979. CrossRef
- Chait A., Bierman E.L., Albers J.J.: The regulatory role of insulin in the degradation of low density lipoprotein by cultured human fibroblasts. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 529: 292–299, 1978. CrossRef
- Mazzone T., Foster D., Chait A.: In vivo stimulation of low-density lipoprotein degradation by insulin. Diabetes 33: 333–338, 1984. CrossRef
- Selby J.V., Austin M.A., Newman B., Zhang D., Quesenberry C.P. Jr., Mayer E.J., Krauss R.M.: LDL subclass phenotypes and the insulin resistance syndrome in women. Circulation 88: 381–387, 1993. CrossRef
- Reaven G.M., Chen Y-D.I., Jeppesen J., Krauss R.M.: Insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia in individuals with small, dense, low density lipoprotein particles. J. Clin. Invest. 92: 141–146, 1993. CrossRef
- Lamarche B., Tchernof A., Moorjani S., Cantin B., Dagenais G., Lupien P.J., Després J.P.: Small, dense low-density lipoprotein particles as a predictor of the risk of ischemic heart disease in men. Circulation 95: 69–75, 1997. CrossRef
- McKeigue P., Davey G.: Associations between insulin levels and cardiovascular disease are confounded by comorbidity. Diabetes Care 18: 1294–1298, 1995.
- Inverse association of serum cholesterol with plasma insulin in the elderly. Cross-sectional and prospective analyses
Aging Clinical and Experimental Research
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 137-140
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- risk factors
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 18. Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Haartmaninkatu 4, FIN-00290, Helsinki, Finland
- 28. Turku City Hospital, Turku, Finland
- 38. National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland