Find out how to access preview-only content
Date: 25 Jul 2013
Can we afford a further increase in life expectancy?
- Eva Buiatti MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- National Center for Chronic Diseases Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC. Public Health and Aging: trends in aging United States and Worldwide. MMWR Weekly. February 14, 2003/52(06): 101–6.
- National Center for Chronic Diseases Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC. Chronic disease notes and reports: special focus. Healthy Aging 1999; 12: 3.
- Jacobzone S. Coping with aging: international challenges. Health Affairs 2000; 19: 213–25. CrossRef
- Fries JF. Successful aging - an emerging paradigm of gerontology. Clin Geriatr Med 2002; 18: 371–82. CrossRef
- Lubitz J, Cai L, Kramarow E, Lentzner H. Health, life expectancy, and health care spending among the elderly. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 1084–5. CrossRef
- DiCarlo A, Baldereschi M, Gandolfo C, et al; ILSA Working Group. Stroke in an elderly population: incidence and impact on survival and daily function. The Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging. Cerebrovasc Dis 2003; 16: 141–50. CrossRef
- Noale M, Maggi F, Minicuci N, et al; ILSA Working Group. Dementia and disability: impact on mortality. The Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2003; 16: 714. CrossRef
- Geroldi C, Ferrucci L, Bandinelli S, et al; In Chianti Study. Mild cognitive deterioration with subcortical features: prevalence, clinical characteristics, and association with cardiovascular risk factors in community-dwelling older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003; 51: 1064–71. CrossRef
- Farchi G, Brescianini S, Maggi S, et al; Risk factors and health determinants in older Italians. Aging Clin Exp Res 2004; 16: 3–12.
- Fries JF. Measuring and monitoring success in compressing morbidity. Ann Intern Med 2003; 139: 455–9. CrossRef
- Manton KG, Land KC. Active life expectancy estimates for the US elderly population: a multidimensional continuous-mixture model of functional change applied to completed cohorts, 1982–1996. Demography 2000; 37: 253–65. CrossRef
- Gillespie WJ, Avenell A, Henry DA, O’Connell DL, Robertson J. Vitamin D and vitamin D analogues for preventing fractures associated with involutional and post-menopausal osteoporosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; 1: CD000227.
- Richards S, Coast J. Interventions to improve access to health and social care after discharge from hospital: a systematic review. J Health Serv Res Policy 2003; 8: 171–9. CrossRef
- Can we afford a further increase in life expectancy?
Aging Clinical and Experimental Research
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 1-2
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Compression of morbidity
- controlled trials
- life expectancy
- long-term care
- prevention programs
- Eva Buiatti MD (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Regional Health Agency of Tuscany, Via Vittorio Emanuele II 64, 50134, Firenze, Italy