Cost Effectiveness of Interferon-Gamma Release Assay for School-Based Tuberculosis Screening
- Dr Akiko Kowada
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$49.95 / €39.95 / £34.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To assess the cost effectiveness of school-based tuberculosis (TB) screening using QuantiFERON®-TB Gold In-Tube (QFT) versus the tuberculin skin test (TST) and chest x-ray examination (CXR).
We constructed Markov models of first-year high-school and university students, using a societal perspective, and followed them up until the age of 80 years. Three strategies (QFT, TST, and CXR) were modeled. All costs and clinical benefits were discounted at a fixed annual rate of 3%.
In the base-case analyses of 16-year-old high-school students and 19-year-old university students, the QFT strategy yielded the greatest benefits at the lowest cost [in year 2009 values] (16-year-olds: $US627.89, 29.69835 quality-adjusted life-years [QALYs]; 19-year-olds: $US646.04, 29.15361 QALYs), compared with the TST strategy (16-year-olds: $US943.50, 29.69767 QALYs; 19-year-olds: $US998.62, 29.15288 QALYs) and the CXR strategy (16-year-olds: $US7286.24, 29.69532 QALYs; 19-year-olds: $US7305.19, 29.14911 QALYs). On one-way sensitivity analyses, the bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination rate was not sensitive to the TST strategy. On probabilistic sensitivity analysis, the QFT strategy was the most cost effective, with a willingness-to-pay level of $US50 000/QALY gained.
The QFT strategy provided the greatest benefits at the lowest cost for school-based TB screening. There appears to be little role for TST or CXR in screening of school populations. Current practices using either TST or CXR screening should be reconsidered on the basis of cost effectiveness.
- Hennessey K, Schulte J, Cook L, et al. Tuberculin skin test screening practices among US colleges and universities. JAMA 1998; 280: 2008–12. CrossRef
- Winje BA, Oftung F, Korsvold GE, et al. School based screening for tuberculosis infection in Norway: comparison of positive tuberculin skin test with interferon-gamma release assay. BMC Infect Dis 2008; 8: 140. CrossRef
- Jacobs S, Warman A, Richardson R, et al. The tuberculin skin test is unreliable in school children BCG-vaccinated in infancy and at low risk of tuberculosis infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2011; 30 (9): 754–8. CrossRef
- Takayama N, Sakiyama H, Okabe N, et al. Cumulative national immunization rate of BCG vaccine in Japan [in Japanese]. J Jpn Med Assoc 2009; 137: 2132–6.
- Diel R, Loddenkemper R, Nienhaus A. Evidence-based comparison of commercial interferon-gamma release assays for detecting active TB: a metaanalysis. Chest 2010; 137: 952–68. CrossRef
- Hardy AB, Varma R, Collyns T, et al. Cost-effectiveness of the NICE guidelines for screening for latent tuberculosis infection: the QuantiFERON-TB Gold IGRA alone is more cost-effective for immigrants from high burden countries. Thorax 2010; 65 (2): 178–80. CrossRef
- Kowada A, Takahashi O, Shimbo T, et al. Cost effectiveness of interferon-gamma release assay for tuberculosis contact screening in Japan. Mol Diagn Ther 2008; 12 (4): 235–51. CrossRef
- Kowada A. Cost effectiveness of interferon-gamma release assay for tuberculosis screening of rheumatoid arthritis patients prior to initiation of tumor necrosis factor-α antagonist therapy. Mol Diagn Ther 2010; 14 (6): 367–73. CrossRef
- Talbot EA, Harland D, Wieland-Alter W, et al. Specificity of the tuberculin skin test and the T-SPOT.TB assay among students in a low-tuberculosis incidence setting. J Am Coll Health 2012; 60 (1): 94–6. CrossRef
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Guidelines of the Japanese School Safety and Health Law for students [in Japanese; online]. Available from URL: http://law.e-gov.go.jp/htmldata/S33/S33F03501000018.html [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- Mangura BT, Reichman LB. Periodic chest radiography: unnecessary, expensive, but still pervasive. Lancet 1999; 353 (9149): 319–20. CrossRef
- Pai M, Zwerling A, Menzies D. Systematic review: T-cell-based assays for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection: an update. Ann Intern Med 2008; 149 (3): 177–84. CrossRef
- Tattevin P, Casalino E, Fleury L, et al. The validity of medical history, classic symptoms, and chest radiographs in predicting pulmonary tuberculosis: derivation of a pulmonary tuberculosis prediction model. Chest 1999; 115 (5): 1248–53. CrossRef
- Cohen R, Muzaffar S, Capellan J, et al. The validity of classic symptoms and chest radiographic configuration in predicting pulmonary tuberculosis. Chest 1996; 109 (2): 420–3. CrossRef
- Research Institute of Tuberculosis. Tuberculosis surveillance 2009 [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Research Institute of Tuberculosis, 2009 [online]. Available from URL: http://www.jata.or.jp/rit/ekigaku/ [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- Statistics Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. Life tables, 2009. Tokyo: Statistics Bureau, 2010 [online]. Available from URL: http://www.mhlw.go.jp [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- Tuberculosis Surveillance Center, Research Institute of Tuberculosis, Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Association. Tuberculosis annual report 2008 — series 5: case finding [in Japanese]. Kekkaku 2010; 85 (2): 139–42.
- Ohmori M. Probability of having latent tuberculosis infection in Japan [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Research Institute of Tuberculosis, 2009 May [online]. Available from URL: www.jata.or.jp/rit/ekigaku/index.php/download_file/-/view/961/ [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- Horsburgh Jr CR. Priorities for the treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in the United States. N Engl J Med 2004; 350 (20): 2060–7. CrossRef
- World Health Organization. Tuberculosis country profiles [online]. Available from URL: http://www.who.int/tb/country/data/profiles/en/index.html [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- Chee CB, KhinMar KW, Gan SH, et al. Tuberculosis treatment effect on T-cell interferon-gamma responses to Mycobacterium tuberculosis-specific antigens. Eur Respir J 2010; 36 (2): 355–61. CrossRef
- Tuberculosis Research Committee (Ryoken). Relapse rate of tuberculosis treated with standard regimen of chemotherapy [in Japanese]. Kekkaku 2009; 84: 617–25.
- Yoshiyama T. Cost effectiveness analysis of isoniazid preventive therapy to the contacts of tuberculosis patients under Japanese settings [in Japanese]. Kekkaku 2000; 75 (11): 629–41.
- International Union Against Tuberculosis Committee on Prophylaxis. Efficacy of various durations of isoniazid preventive therapy for tuberculosis: five years of follow-up in the IUAT trial. Bull World Health Organ 1982; 60: 555–64.
- Fountain FF, Tolley E, Chrisman CR, et al. Isoniazid hepatotoxicity associated with treatment of latent tuberculosis infection: a 7-year evaluation from a public health tuberculosis clinic. Chest 2005; 128 (1): 116–23. CrossRef
- Diel R, Nienhaus A, Schaberg T. Cost-effectiveness of isoniazid chemoprevention in close contacts. Eur Respir J 2005; 26 (3): 465–73. CrossRef
- Igakutsushin-sya. Medical insurance reimbursement table in Japan [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Igakutsushin-sya, 2010.
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Basic survey on wage structure in Japan. Tokyo: Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, 2007.
- Statistics Bureau, Director-General for Policy Planning (Statistical Standard) & Statistical Research and Training Institute. Japanese consumer price index 2010 [online]. Available from URL: http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/cpi/index.htm [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Basic survey on wage structure [online]. Available from URL: http://www.mhlw.go.jp [Accessed 2012 April 14].
- Tsevat J, Taylor WC, Wong JB, et al. Isoniazid for the tuberculin reactor: take it or leave it. Am Rev Respir Dis 1988; 137 (1): 215–20. CrossRef
- Kowada A, Deshpande GA, Takahashi O, et al. Cost effectiveness of interferon-gamma release assay versus chest X-ray for tuberculosis screening of BCG-vaccinated elderly populations. Mol Diagn Ther 2010; 14 (4): 229–36. CrossRef
- Kowada A, Deshpande GA, Takahashi O, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of interferon-γ release assays versus chest X-ray for annual tuberculosis screening of healthcare workers. J Hosp Infec 2011; 78 (2): 152–4. CrossRef
- Kowada A. Cost-effectiveness of interferon-γ release assay versus chest X-ray for tuberculosis screening of employees. Am J Infect Control 2011; 39 (10): e67–72. CrossRef
- Ewer K, Deeks J, Alvarez L, et al. Comparison of T-cell-based assay with tuberculin skin test for diagnosis of mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in a school tuberculosis outbreak. Lancet 2003; 361 (9364): 1168–73. CrossRef
- Liebeschuetz S, Bamber S, Ewer K, et al. Diagnosis of tuberculosis in South African children with a T-cell-based assay: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 2004; 364 (9452): 2196–203. CrossRef
- Hill PC, Brookes RH, Adetifa IM, et al. Comparison of enzyme-linked immunospot assay and tuberculin skin test in healthy children exposed to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Pediatrics 2006; 117: 1542–8. CrossRef
- Linas BP, Wong AY, Freedberg KA, et al. Priorities for screening and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in the United States. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 184 (5): 590–601. CrossRef
- Cost Effectiveness of Interferon-Gamma Release Assay for School-Based Tuberculosis Screening
Molecular Diagnosis & Therapy
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 181-190
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Dr Akiko Kowada (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Kojiya Haneda Healthcare Service, Ota City Public Health Office, 1-21-15 Higashikojiya, Ota-ku, Tokyo, 144-0033, Japan