Kinetic Study on Catalytic Leaching of Sphalerite
- John S. Niederkorn
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper examines the influence of cobalt and silver ion concentration on the extraction and kinetics of zinc dissolution from sphalerite. The mechanism involves catalysis of a galvanic oxidation! reduction that produces elemental sulfur in place of SO2 gas.
A 95% maximum zinc recovery was achieved under the experimental conditions. The apparent activation energy suggested a diffusion controlled reaction. The research indicates that cobalt ions are more effective than silver ions because the replacement of zinc ions is facilitated by dimensional similarities between the zinc and cobalt.
- F.A. Forward and H. Veltman, “Direct Leaching Zinc-Sulfide Concentrates by Sherritt-Gordon,” J. of Metals, (12) (1959), pp. 836–840.
- E.G. Parker, D.R. McKay, H. Salomon-Di-Frieberg, “Zinc Pressure Leaching at Cominco’s Trail Operation,” Hydrometallurgy, Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Hydrometallurgy. Atlanta, Georgia, March 6–10, 1983. TMS-AIME. Edited by K. Osseo-Asare and J.D. Miller.
- G. Bjorling, “Leaching of Sulfide Minerals Under Pressure,” Erzmetall, 8 (1954), pp. 781–784.
- J.E. Dutrizac and W.A. MacDonald, “Ferric Ion as a Leaching Medium. Miner. Sci. Eng., 6(2), (1974), pp. 59–100.
- J.E. Dutrizac and J.S. MacDonald, “The Dissolution of Sphalerite in Ferric Chloride Solutions,” R.S.C. Met. Trans. B, 9B, (1978), pp. 543–551.
- J.E. Haver and M.M. Wong, “Ferric Chloride-Brine Leaching of Galena Concentrate,” U.S. Bureau of Mines, R.I. 8105, (1976), p. 17.
- P.D. Scott and M.J. Nicol, “The Kinetics of the Leaching of Zinc Sulfide Concentrates in Acidic Solutions Containing Ferric Sulfate,” National Inst, for Met. Rep. N. 1949, (1978), p. 12
- D. Verhulst, “The Kinetics of Oxidation of Hydrogen Sulfide by ferric Ions in Sulfuric Acid Solutions,” Ph.D. Thesis, University of Columbia, New York (1974).
- J.E. Dutrizac, “Ferric Sulfate Percolation Leaching of a Pyritic Zn-Pb-Cu Ore,” Can. Min. Met. Bull; 72(810), (1979), pp. 109–118
- B.N. Doyle, I.M. Masters, I.C. Webster and H. Weltman, “Acid Pressure Leaching of Zinc Concentrates with Elemental Sulphur as a By Product,” Personal copy.
- F.E. Pawlek, “Research in Pressure Leaching,” J. South African Inst. Min. Met. 69(11), (1969), pp. 632–654.
- R.J. Jan, M.T. Hopworth and V.G. Fox, “A Kinetic Study on the Pressure Leaching of Sphalerite,” Met. Trans. AIME, 7B, (1976), pp. 353–361.
- M.J. Stanczyk and C. Rampacek “Dissolution of Zinc from Sphalerite at Elevated Temperature and Pressure,” U.S. Bureau of Mines R.I., 5848 (1961), p. 14.
- T.R. Scott and N.F. Dyson, “The Catalyzed Oxidation of Zinc Sulfide Under Acid Pressure Leaching Conditions,” Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME, 242, (1968), pp. 1815–1821.
- A.E. Torma, A.S. Osona and M. Valayapetre, “Electrochemical Methods in Recovery of Metals from Sulfide Minerals,” Res. Assoc. Miner, Sarda, 84(2), (1979), pp. 5–24.
- T. Oki and R. Kammel, “Anodic Dissolution of Zinc Sulfide Suspension in Aqueous Solutions,” Trans, Soc. Min. Eng. AIME, 258, (1975), pp. 343–345.
- H.H. Dewing and A.A. Cochran, “Sulfuric Acid Extraction Techniques for Recovering Zinc and Sulfur from Sphalerite,” U.S. Bueau of Mines R.I., 8322, (1978), p. 13.
- D.G. Moursund and C.S. Duris, Elementary Theory and Application of Numerical Analysis, McGraw Hill Book Co., 1968, pp. 175–176.
- K.J. Laidler and J.H. Meiser, Physical Chemistry, The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Companv, Inc., Meadow Park, (1982), p. 353.
- K.J. Laidler, Chemical Kinetics, McGraw-Hill, Inc., (1967), p. 398.
- S. Glasstone, K.J. Laidler and H. Eyring, The Theory of Rate Processes. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, (1941), p. 459.
- K.J. Laidler, Theories of Chemical Reaction Rates, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, (1969), p. 234.
- H.Y. Sohn and M.E. Wadsworth, Rate Processes of Extractive Metallurgy, Plenum Press, New York, (1979), pp. 136–141. CrossRef
- G.S. Upadhyaya, Problems in Metallurgical Thermodynamics and Kinetics, Pergamon Press, (1977), p. 252.
- C.A. Eligwe, A.E. Torma and F.M. DeVries, “Extraction of Uranium from a Low-Grade Ore with H2SO4-H2O2 in an Agitated Reactor,” Hydrometallurgy, 9, (1982), p. 83. CrossRef
- K.J. Laidler, Reaction Kinetics, Reaction in Solution, Pergamon Press, New York, (1963), p. 135.
- D. Chutinara, A.E. Torma and A.E. Singh, “Kinetics of Sulfuric Acid Leaching of a Uranium Ore with Ozone,” in press.
- H.Y. Sohn and M.E. Wadsworth, Rate Process of Extractive Metallurgy, Plenum Press, New York, (1979), p. 472. CrossRef
- R.C. Weast, Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 56th Edition, C.R.C. Press, Cleveland (1975).
- Kinetic Study on Catalytic Leaching of Sphalerite
Volume 37, Issue 7 , pp 53-56
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors