Pressure Hydrogen Stripping in Solvent Extraction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper reviews pressure hydrogen stripping as applied on a laboratory scale to commercial solvent extraction reagents developed for the metals extraction industry. The chemistry of hydrogen stripping reactions is briefly described, and degree of stability under hydrogen stripping conditions is discussed for the various extractants studied.
Important details of those systems that showed promise under laboratory conditions are presented. Some characteristics of hydrogen stripping kinetics, and properties of the metal powders produced are also described. Finally, potential applications of hydrogen stripping are discussed.
- A.R. Burkin and J.E.A. Burgess, “Production of High Purity Metals Powders by Direct Pressure Reduction of Loaded Extractants,” Proc. 1st Annual Meeting of Canadian Hydrometallurgists, Montreal, Canada, Oct. 1971, pp. 51–62.
- A.R. Burkin and J.E.A. Burgess, “Production of Metal Powders by Reduction of Loaded Extractants with Hydrogen,” Het Ingenieursblad, 41e jaargany, nr. 17, (1972), pp. 459–462.
- A.J. Van der Zeeuw and L. Gandon, “Study of the Hydrogenation of the ‘Versatic’ Acid Salts of Copper, Nickel and Cobalt,” Proc. 10th Int. Mineral Processing Congress, London, U.K., 1973, pp. 1067–1083.
- A.J. Van der Zeeuw and L. Gandon, “Study of the Hydrogenation of the ‘Versatic’ Acid Salts of Copper, Nickel and Cobalt,” Hydrometallurgy, G.A. Davies and J.B. Scuffharn, eds., Inst. Chem. Engrs., London, U.K., 1975, Symposium Series 42, 11, pp. 1–9.
- M. Freifelder, “Practical Catalytic Hydrogenation: Techniques and Applications,” Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, 1971, p. 66.
- G.P. Demopoulos and P.A. Distin, “Copper Precipitation from Loaded Kelex 100 by Reaction with Hydrogen,” Proc. Int. Solvent Extraction Conference, ISEC ’80, Liège, Belgium, 2, Sept. 1980, No 80–76.
- G.P. Demopoulos and P.A. Distin, “A Study of the Hydrogenation of Kelex 100 Loaded with Copper,” J. Chew. Terhn. and Biotechn., 33A, (1983), pp. 249–260. CrossRef
- O.P. Demopoulos and P.A. Distin, “On the Structure and Composition of Kelex 100,” Hydrometallurgy, 11, (1983). pp. 389–396. CrossRef
- M.G. Navarro and P.A. Distin, Unpublished work, Department of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- A.W. Ashbrook, “Commercial Chelating Solvent Extraction Reagents: 1. Purification and Isomer Separation of 2-Hydroxyoximes,” J. of Chrom., 105, (1975), pp. 141–150. CrossRef
- M.C. Navarro and P.A. Distils, “Hydrogen Reduction of Copper from Loaded LIX65N,” 24th Annual Conference of Metallurgists, Met. Soc. CIM, Vancouver, Canada, Aug. 1985.
- D. DeSantis and P.A. Distin, Unpublished work. Department of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- G.P. Demopoulos, Unpublished work, Extractive Metallurgy Laboratory, CANMET, Energy Mines and Resources, Ottawa, Canada.
- G.P. Demopoulos and D.L. Gefvert, “Iron (III) Removal from Base-Metal Electrolyte Solutions by Solvent Extraction,” Hydrometallurgy, 12, (1984), pp. 299–315. CrossRef
- R.X. Li and P.A. Distin, “Gold Reduction front Dibutyl Carbitol Using Hydrogen,” Proc. Int. Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Conference, Inst. Min. and Met., Chinese Soc. of Metals, Kunming, China, Oct. 1984, pp. 235–243.
- RT. Morrison and R.N. Boyd, “Organic Chemistry,” 3rd ed., Allyn and Bacon, Inc., Boston, Mass., 1979, p. 559.
- G. Pouskouleli and O.P. Demopoulos, “Direct Recovery of Precious Metals by Integration of Solvent Extraction and Hydrogen Reduction Techniques,” Proc. 8th Int. Precious Metals Conference, IPMI, Toronto, Canada, June 1984, in press.
- G.P. Demopoulos and P.A. Distin, “Direct. Copper Precipitation from a Loaded Chelating Extractant by Pressure Hydrogen Stripping,” Metall. Trans., 1611, (1985), pp. 13–23.
- D. DeSantis and P.A. Distill, “Hydrogen Reduction of Lead from Kelex 100,” 9th Canadian Metal Chemistry Conference. Kingston, Canada, June 1985.
- R.N. Li, G.P. Demopoulos and P.A. Distin, “Nickel Recovery from Loaded Relax 100 by Precipitation using Hydrogen,” 20th Annual Conference of Metallurgists, Met. Soc. CIM, Hamilton, Canada, Aug. 1981
- N.M. Stubina and P.A. Distill, “Direct Cobalt Recovery from Loaded Kelex 100 by Reaction with Hydrogen.” 21st Annual Conference of Metallurgists, Met. Soc. CIM, Toronto, Canada, Aug. 1982.
- B. Meddings and V.N. Mackiw, “The Gaseous Reduction of Metals from Aqueous Solutions,” Unit Processes in Hydrornetallurgy, M.E. Wadsworth and F.T. Davies, eds., AIME, New York, N.Y., 1964, pp. 345–384.
- M.M. Davis, “Bronsted Acid-Base Behavior in Inert. Organic Solvents,” The Chemistry of Non-Aqueous Solvents, J.J. Lagowski, ed., Academic Press, New York, N.Y., 3, 1970, pp. 10–11.
- J. Halpern, “Homogeneous Catalytic Activation of Molecular Hydrogen by Metal Ions and Complexes,” J. Phys. Chem., 63, (1959) pp. 398–403. CrossRef
- A.W. Ashhrook, “Chelating Reagents in Solvent Extraction Processes: The Present Position,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, 16, (1975), p. 292.
- H. Irving and H.S. Rossotti, “The Stabilities of Some Metal Complexes of 8-Hydroxyquinoline and Related Substances,” J. Chem. Soc., (1954), Part 3, pp. 2910–2918.
- G.P. Demopoulos, “Direct Copper Production from a Loaded Chelating Extractant (an Alkylated 8-Hydroxyquinoline I by Pressure Hydrogen Stripping,” Ph.D. Thesis, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 1982, pp. 181–183.
- V.N. Mackiw, W.C. Tin and W. Kunda, “Reduction of Nickel by Hydrogen from Arnmoniacal Nickel Sulphate Solutions,” J. of Metals Trans. AIME, 9, (1957), pp. 791–793.
- A.J. Van der Zeeuw, “Process for the Separation of Metals,” U.K. Patent 1,267,586, (1972).
- J.E. Barnes and J.D. Edwards, “Solvent Extraction at inco’s Acton Precious Metals Refinery.” Chemistry and Industry, 10, (1982), pp. 151–155.
- Pressure Hydrogen Stripping in Solvent Extraction
Volume 37, Issue 7 , pp 46-52
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors