Ferric Chloride, Thiourea and Brine Leach Recovery of Ag, Au and Pb from Complex Sulfides
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Bureau of Mines recently investigated a hydrometallurgical procedure to recover gold, silver, and byproduct lead from a complex lead-zinc sulfide ore. A ferric chloride (Fecl3) preleach, at 40°C for six hours extracted about 50 percent of the zinc and formed insoluble silver and lead chlorides. Subsequent acid thiourea leaching, for one to three hours at 40°C, extracted about 85% of the gold and silver. Lead chloride was solubilized from the remaining residue with NaCl brine solution at 55°C in one hour. Lead was recovered from the brine solution in an electrolytic cell with an anion perm selective membrane at a current efficiency of 95 percent and current density of 100 A/m2. Spent FeCl3 leach solution was reoxidized in the anode compartment at a current efficiency between 75 and 95 percent.
- P.M.J. Gray, “Metallurgy of the Complex Sulfide Ores,” Min. Mag., 151, (4) (1984), pp. 315–321.
- R.M.G.S. Berezowsky and V.B. Sefton, “Recovery of Gold and Silver From Oxidation Leach Residues by Ammoniacal Thiosulfate Leaching,” (Presented at 108th Soc. Min. Eng. AIME Ann. Meeting, New Orleans, LA, Feb. 18–22, 1979, Soc. Min. Eng. AIME preprint 79–178), p. 17.
- R.G. Schulze, “New Aspects in Thiourea Leaching of Precious Metals,” J. Metals, 36, (6) (1984), pp. 62–65.
- C.L. Mantell, Electrochemical Engineering (McGraw- Hill, 4th ed. 1960), p. 42.
- F.P. Haver and M.M. Wong, “Ferric Chloride-Brine Leaching of Galena Concentrate,” BuMines RI 8105 (1976) p. 17.
- W.W. Simpson, L. Peterson and R.G. Sandberg, “Gold and Silver Recovery From Thiourea Leach Solutions,” (Presented at Pacific NW Met. and Miner. Conf., Portland, OR, May 1, 1984). Available from R.G. Sandberg, BuMines, Salt Lake City, UT.
- E.R. Cole, Jr., A.Y. Lee and D.L. Paulson, “Electrolytic Method for Recovery of Lead From Scrap Batteries,” BuMines RI 8602 (1981) p. 19.
- C.J. Krauss, “Cathode Deposit Control in Lead Electrowinning,” J. Metals, 28 (Nov. 1976), pp. 4–8.
- R.C. Kerby and H.E. Jackson, “Organic Leveling Agents for Electrolytic Lead Refining,” Metall. Soc. CIM, 1978, pp. 125–131.
- M.J. Kramer, P.F. Duby and P.D. Parker, “Electrowinning of Lead From Complex Chloride Solutions” (Paper in Chloride Electrometallurgy, ed. by P.D. Parker. Metall. Soc. AIME, Warrendale, PA, 1982) pp. 77–87.
- Ionics Inc. (Watertown, MA), “Anion-Transfer Membranes,” Bull. AR 103.O-E, (Mar. 1982) p. 3.
- Ferric Chloride, Thiourea and Brine Leach Recovery of Ag, Au and Pb from Complex Sulfides
Volume 38, Issue 6 , pp 18-22
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors