Solvent Extraction in Precious Metals Refining
- G. P. Demopoulos
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Solvent extraction based refining processes for precious metals undoubtedly offer several advantages over the traditional precipitation methods. Thus, their usage by industry is expected to become standard practice. This paper breifly reviews the pertinent chemistry and the current commercial processes which apply solvent extraction techniques to the refining of precious metals. Solvent extraction processes currently employed by three precious metals refiners are presented. A recently developed solvent extraction process which uses alkylated derivatives of 8-hydroxyquinoline as the basis for the separation of precious metals is briefly discussed.
- R.I. Edwards, “Refining of the Platinum-Group Metals,” J. of Metals, 28 (1976), pp. 4–9.
- E.W. Stern, “Aqueous Chemistry of Precious Metals Applicable to Refining Processes,” In G. Foo, M.E. Browing (Eds.), Symposium on Recovery, Reclamation and Refining of Precious Metals, IPMI, San Diego, Ca, March 1981.
- S.J. Al-Bazi and A. Chow, “Platinum Metals-Solution Chemistry and Separation Methods (Ion Exchange and Solvent Extraction),” Talanta 31 (1984), pp. 815–836. CrossRef
- G.M. Ritcey and A.W. Ashbrook, Solvent Extraction: Principles and Applications to Process Metallurgy, Elsevier, New York, N.Y., 1984, pp. 4–37.
- R.I. Edwards, “Selective Solvent Extractants for the Refining of Platinum Metals,” Proc. Int. Solvent Extraction Conference, ISEC ’77, CIM Special Vol. 21 (1), 1979f, pp. 24–31.
- J.E. Barnes and J.D. Edwards, “Solvent Extraction at Inco’s Acton Precious Metal Refinery,” Chem. Ind., 5, (1982), pp. 151–155.
- “Cyanex 471X — Solvent Extraction Reagent,” Cyanamid, Industrial Products Division, Wayne, N.J. 07470.
- M.J. Cleare, P. Charlesworth and D.J. Bryson, “Solvent Extraction in Platinum Group Metal Processing,” J. Chem. Tech. Biotechnol., 29 (1979) pp. 210–224.
- M.J. Cleare, R.A. Grant and P. Charlesworth, “Separation of the Platinum Group Metals by Use of Solvent Extraction Techniques,” Extraction Metallurgy, 81, IMM. London, U.K., 1981, pp. 34–41.
- S.C. Dhara, “Solvent Extraction of Precious Metals with Organic Amines,” Precious Metals: Mining, Extraction and Processing, V. Kudryk, D.A. Corrigan and W.W. Liang (Eds.), TMS-AIME, 1984, pp. 199–226.
- A.T. Casey, E. Davies, T.L. Meek and E.S. Wagner, “Extraction of the Platinum Metals with Tri-n-Butyl Phosphate”, Solvent Extraction Chemistry, North Holland, Amsterdam, 1967, pp. 327–334.
- B.F. Rimmer, “Refining of Gold from Precious Metal Concentrates by Liquid-Liquid Extraction,” Chem. Ind., 2, (1974), pp. 63–66.
- L.R.P. Reavill and P. Charlesworth, “The Application of Solvent Extraction to Platinum Group Metals Refining,” Proc. Int. Solvent Extraction Conference, ISEC ’80, Liege, Belgium, 3, 1980, No. 80–93.
- R.I. Edwards and W.A.M. te Riele, “Commercial Processes for Precious Metals,” in Handbook of Solvent Extraction, T. Lo, M.H.I. Baird and C. Hanson (Eds.), Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1983, pp. 725–732.
- D.S. Flett, “Solvent Extraction in Hydrometallurgy,” in Hydrometallurgy: Research, Development and Plant Practice, K. Osseo-Asare and J.D. Miller (Eds.), TMS-AIME, 1983, pp. 39–64.
- G.P. Demopoulos, G. Pouskouleli and P.J.A. Prud’homme, “Direct Recovery of Precious Metals by Solvent Extraction and Selective Removal,” U.S. Patent Application #741, 564, June 5, 1985.
- G.P. Demopoulos, P.A. Distin, “On the Structure and Composition of Kelex 100,” Hydrometallurgy, 11, (1983), pp. 389–396. CrossRef
- G.P. Demopoulos, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Unpublished results.
- R. Moinar and G.M. Ritcey, CANMET, Ottawa, Unpublished results.
- G.P. Demopoulos, S. Kelebek and G. Pouskouleli, “Direct Recovery of Gold with a Novel Solvent Extraction-Precipitation System,” paper presented at the 115th AIME Annual Meeting, March 2–6, 1986, New Orleans, LA.
- G. Pouskouleli and G.P. Demopoulos, “Direct Recovery of Precious Metals by Integration of Solvent Extraction and Hydrogen Reduction Techniques,” in Precious Metals 1984, T.P. Mohide (Ed.), IPMI, 1984, pp. 189–207.
- Solvent Extraction in Precious Metals Refining
Volume 38, Issue 6 , pp 13-17
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors