Steel vs. plastics: The competition for light-vehicle fuel tanks
- Peter J. Alvarado M.B.A., M.Sc.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
As weight and cost savings drive changes in performance criteria for automotive materials, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) are taking a harder look at the historically terne-coated steel used for gas tanks. This article compares steel and plastic for gas tank uses according to performance attributes and a competitive analysis. Legislation issues and current OEM activity are included.
- Timothy T. Maxwell and Jesse C. Jones, Alternative Fuels: Emissions, Economics and Performance (Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers, 1995), pp. 29–42.
- Robert Q. Riley, Alternative Cars in the 21st Century (Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers, 1994), pp. 173–176.
- Bundy International, “Fuel Supply Systems for a Healthier Environment”, ed. Michael Scarlett, Automotive Technology International ′94, pp. 37-40.
- “Plastic Bounces Back in Fuel Tanks,” Automotive News (January 30, 1995).
- Delphi VII Forecast and Analysis of the North American Automotive Industry (Ann Arbor, MI: Office for the Study of Automotive Transportation, University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, 1994), pp. 71–75.
- Automotive Outlook: June 1995, (WestChester, P A: Autofacls, Inc.), pp. 4-1, 5-1.
- “Canadian Blow Molder Expands to U.S.,” Canadian Plastics (February 1993).
- “Ford′s Plastic Plant Eyes $110 Investment in Gas Tanks,” Plastic Week (August 10, 1992).
- “Supplier Profile: Walbro Entering Fuel Tank Market; Manufacturer Looks to Double Sales,” Ward′s Automotive Reports (August 24, 1992).
- “Air Products Develops Technology that Helps Plastic Fuel Tank Manufacturers Meet More Stringent Emission Standards,” Waste Treatment Technology News (December 1992).
- “Gas Tank Molder Unfazed by CARB,” Plastics World (May 1992).
- “AeroTec Fuel Tanks Designed for Safety,” Plastics News (April 12, 1993).
- “Cadillac Unveils Shift from Terne to Plastics,” American Metal Market (January 27, 1992).
- “Plastic Gas Tank Field is Filling Up,” Plastics News (May 11, 1992).
- “ Allante to Use Plastic Tank,” Plastics News (January 13, 1992).
- Steel, the Safe Solution for Flamable Liquid Storage, CN-06, (Washington, D.C.: AISI, 1990).
- “Recycling and the Automobile,” Automotive Engineering (October 1993), pp. 42–50.
- Asian Autotech Report, 186, (3) (1994), p. 11.
- “Steel Recycling Increases in ′94,” American Metal Market (April 5, 1995), p. 10.
- “Missing Link; Lack of Infrastructure Poses Huge Hurdle to Plans to Recycle Auto Plastics,” Automotive News (Supplier Spotlight) (March 14, 1994).
- Steel vs. plastics: The competition for light-vehicle fuel tanks
Volume 48, Issue 7 , pp 22-25
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. U.S. Steel, USA