The point of a monument: A history of the aluminum cap of the Washington Monument
- George J. Binczewski B.S.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the history of materials and human events it sometimes happens, however rarely, that a particular time and a consequent circumstance merge to create the opportunity for a happenstance event; subsequently, the event is accorded monumental status within its sphere of application. Such was the case of the small but very expensive aluminum pyramid that was set atop the Washington Monument on its completion in 1884 to serve the functional purpose of a lightning rod. In retrospect, this can be considered a watershed event in the subsequent emergence of the modern massive aluminum industry.
- Dix, E.H. (1934) Aluminum Cap Piece on Washington Monument. Metal Progress. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Winckler, C. (1879) Aluminium. Scientific American Supplement. pp. 3058
- Deville, H. S. C. (1859) De Aluminium. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Edwards, J.D., Frary, F.C., Jeffries, Z. (1930) The Aluminum Industry. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Conny, B.M. (1990) A Catalyst For Change. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Binczewski, G.J. A Monumental Point—World′s First Big Aluminum Casting. In: Das, S.K. eds. (1993) Light Metals 1993. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Casey to Frishmuth,letters sent, vol. IV, Records Group 42, National Archives 2675 (23 October 1884), p. 944.
- Casey to Gen. Newton, Chief of Engineers, report of the year 1885 (December 1885), letters sent RG. 42, NA. p. 3.
- Letters received Frishmuth to Casey, vol. IV, RG 42, N.A (November 29,1884).
- Eastwood, L.W. (1946) Gas in Light Alloys. Springer-Verlag, New York
- War of the Rebellion, Official Records, Union and Confederate Armies, Series 111, vol. 1 (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1899.), p. 91.
- Bates, S.P. (1870) Pennsylvania Volunteers 1861—65. Springer-Verlag, New York
- New York Times (November 25, 1884).
- ASM News, 17 (12) (Materials Park, OH: ASM International, December 1986).
- The point of a monument: A history of the aluminum cap of the Washington Monument
Volume 47, Issue 11 , pp 20-25
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. SCSystems, USA