The condition of secondary school physics education in the Philippines: Recent developments and remaining challenges for substantive improvements
- Antriman V. Orleans
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study is aimed at assessing the state of Philippine secondary school physics education using data from a nationwide survey of 464 schools and 767 physics teachers and at identifying challenges for substantive improvements. Teacher-related indicators revealed academic qualification deficiency, low continuing professional involvements, substantial physics teaching experience, and good licensure status. Academic environment indices revealed that the number of physics classes per teacher is manageable, but the individual classes are large. Results also showed limited instructional materials and technologies, the unpopularity of professional mentoring, and favorable library and internet access. Based on these findings, challenges to developing a larger pool of competent physics teachers and equipping schools with relevant instructional devices were identified.
- Amid, D. (1998)Development and validation of a proposed work-text in analytic geometry, Unpublished master’s thesis, Centro Escolar University, Manila.
- Ariota, R. (1997)Proposed instructional materials in the teaching of mathematics at La Salette College of Engineering, Santiago City, Unpublished master’s thesis, Saint Paul University, Santiago City.
- Avila, A. (1998)Design and evaluation of a computer-assisted instruction material in heat and thermodynamics, Unpublished master’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- Becta (2003) “Secondary Schools — ICT and Standards: An analysis of national data from Ofsted and QCA”, Retrieved: June 8, 2004. 〈http://www.becta.org.uk/page_documents/research/secschoolfull.pdf〉.
- Brown, C. A., Smith, M. S., and Stein, M. K. (1995) Linking teacher support to enhanced classroom instruction. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. New York.
- Calacal, S. (1999)An analysis of the physics competencies of Mariano Marcos State University students under the New Secondary Education Curriculum (NSEC), Unpublished doctoral dissertation, De La Salle University, Manila.
- California Education Policy Seminar and California State University Institute for Educational Reform (1998)Doing what matters most: Investing in quality teaching, California State University Institute for Educational Reform, USA.
- Capili, M. (1987)Development of laboratory manual in physics for students enrolled in the double secondary curriculum with a thrust in the arts, Unpublished master’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- Capistrano, N. (1999)Students alternative conceptions in introductory college physics courses, Unpublished master’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- Cohen, D. K. and Hill, H. (1997) Instructional policy and classroom performance: The mathematics reform in California. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. Chicago, Illinois.
- Coleman, J., Campbell, E., Hobson, C., McPartland, J., Mood, A., Weinfeld, F., and York, R. (1996)Equality of educational opportunity, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- Contreras, V. (2005) US needs 200,000 teachers yearly, say placement firm,Philippine Daily Inquirer, 16 November.
- Corpuz, E. (1998)Effects of a computer instruction program on college students’ performance in solving simple problems in mechanics, Unpublished master’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- Curammeng, G. (1993)Development and Evaluation of a laboratory manual in College Physics I for engineering students using standard and improved apparatus, Unpublished master’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- Darling-Hammond, L. (1998) Doing what matters most: Investing in quality teaching, in a discussion sponsored by the California Education Policy Seminar and California State University Institute for Educational Reform.
- Darling-Hammond, L. (2000) “Teacher Quality and Student Achievement: A Review of State Policy Evidence“, Educational Policy Analysis Archives, 8(1), viewed 9 June 2004 〈http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v8n1/〉.
- Ferguson, R. (1998) Can schools narrow the black-white test score gap?, in C. Jencks and M. Philipps, eds.,The Black-White Test Score Gap, The Brookings Institution, Washington, DC.
- Figuerres, O. (1985)An analysis of the physics achievement of engineering students from selected colleges and universities in Region I, Unpublished master’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- Flores, A. (1989)A proposed workbook in algebra for an agricultural school, Unpublished master’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- Goldhaber, D. and Anthony, E. (2003) “Teacher quality and student achievement”, ERIC Clearinghouse on Urban Education Urban Diversity Series, Retrieved: June 9, 2004. 〈http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Home.portal?_nfpb=true&ERICExtSearch_ SearchValue_0=Goldhaber+%26+Anthony&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=authors& _pageLabel=RecordDetails&objectId=0900000b8011f92e〉.
- Goldhaber, D. (2002) The mystery of good teaching: Surveying the evidence on student achievement and teachers’ characteristics,Education Next, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 50–55.
- Goldhaber, D., Brewer, D. and Anderson, D. (1999) A three-way error components analysis of educational productivity,Education Economics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 199–208. CrossRef
- Hanushek, E., Kain, J. and Rivkin, S. (1999) “Do higher salaries buy better teachers?”, Working Paper No. 7082, National Bureau of Economics Research, Cambridge.
- Hawk, P., Coble, C.R. and Swanson, M. (1985) Certification: It does matter,Journal of Teacher Education, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 13–15. CrossRef
- International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement. (2004)TIMSS 2003 International Science Report, TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center, Lynch School of Education, Boston College, USA.
- Jordan, H., Mendro, R. and Weeasinghe, D. (1997) Teacher effects on longitudinal student achievement. Paper presented at the National Evaluation Annual Meeting, Indianapolis.
- Kington, A., Harris, S., Smith, P. and Hall, M. (2003) “Computers for Teachers. A qualitative evaluation of Phase 1”, Report to the DfES, ICT in Schools Research and Evaluation Series No. 14, Retrieved: June 8, 2004. 〈http://www.becta.org.uk/page_documents/research/cft_qual_eval_phase1.pdf〉.
- Logmao, D. (1997)Effectiveness of programmed instruction using audio-visual technique in teaching physics, Unpublished master’s thesis, Philippine Normal University, Manila.
- Lontayao, R. (1999)Effectiveness of video instruction in teaching concepts on aquatic ecosystem to second year high school students of selected public high schools school year 1998–1999, Unpublished master’s thesis, Mindanao State University — Iligan Institute of Technology, Iligan City.
- Mayer, D., Mullens, J. and Moore, M. (2001) “Monitoring school quality: A indicators report”, Education Statistics Quarterly, 3(1), viewed 9 June 2004 〈http://nces.ed.gov/programs/quarterly/vol_3/3_1/q4_4.asp#top〉.
- Mehrotra, S. and Buckland P. (1998) “Managing teacher costs for access and quality”, UNICEF Staff Working Papers, No. EPP-EVL-98-004, Retrieved: 23 May 2006. 〈http://www.unicef.org/evaldatabase/files/Global_1998_Managing_Teacher.pdf〉.
- Orleans, A. (1994)The relative effectiveness of calculus-based college physics instructions on student achievement, Unpublished mater’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- Philippine Department of Education, Culture, and Sports, Department of Science and Technology Science Education Institute, and University of the Philippines National Institute for Science and Mathematics Education Development (2000) TIMSS-R Philippine Report,Volume 1: Science.
- Philippine Department of Education (2005) “DepEd targets computerization of all public schools by 2008”, Retrieved: April 4, 2005. http://www.gov.ph/cat_education/newscontent.asp?newsid=7743.
- Philippine Department of Science and Technology Science Education Institute (2005) “Programs and Projects”, Retrieved: April 4, 2005. 〈http://www.sei.dost.gov.ph/programs.html〉.
- Philippine National Statistics Office (2005) “Index of demographic statistics”, Retrieved: May 30, 2006. 〈http://www.census.gov.ph/data/sectordata/datapop.html〉.
- Philippine National Statistics Office (2003) “Philippines: Urban population was registered at 48.05 percent”, Retrieved: May 30, 2006. 〈http://www.census.gov.ph/data/pressrelease/2003/pr0382tx.html〉.
- Plaza, L. (1996)Development and validation of issue-oriented supplementary materials in ecology, Unpublished master’s thesis, Philippine Normal University, Manila.
- Sanders, W. and Horn, S. (1998) Research findings from the Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) database: Implications for educational evaluation and research,Journal of Personal Evaluation in Education, vol. 12, no. 3.
- Sanders, W. L. and Rivers, J. C. (1996) Cumulative and residual effects of teachers on future academic achievement, University of Tennessee Value-Added Research and Assessment Center.
- Schmidt, W. & Cogan, L. (1996) Development of the TIMSS Context Questionnaires, in M. Martin and D. Kelly, eds.,Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) Technical Report, Volume 1: Design and Development, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA.
- Tribiana, E. (1991)Development of molecular models for use in teaching selected topics in organic chemistry. Unpublished master’s thesis, De La Salle University, Manila.
- UK Department of Education and Skills (2003) “The big pICTure: The impact of ICT on attainment, motivation and learning”, by V. Pittard, P. Bannister, and J. Dunn, Retrieved: June 9, 2004. 〈http://www.ioe.ac.uk/schools/clc/matesol/ technology/files/ICT_research/The_big_picture.pdf〉.
- Undag, M. C. (1996)Television programs as instructional media resource: Effects on achievement and attitude in science, Unpublished master’s thesis, University of the Philippines, Quezon City.
- US Department of Education (1999)Defining effective professional development: Lessons from the Eisenhower program, Washington, DC.
- US Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics (1998) “Towards better teaching: Professional development in 1993-94”, NCES 98-230, by Susan Choy and Xianglei Chen, Project Officer: Micheal Ross, Retrieved: June 8, 2004. 〈http://nces.ed.gov/pubs98/98230.pdf〉.
- US Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics (2000) “Schoollevel correlates of academic achievement: Student assessment scores in SASS public schools”, NCES 2000-303, by Donald McLaughlin and Gili Drori, Project Officer: Ross, M., Retrieved: June 8, 2004. 〈http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2000/2000303.pdf〉.
- Wiley, D. and Yoon, B. (1995) Teacher reports of opportunity to learn: Analyses of the 1993 California Learning Assessment System,Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 355–370.
- Wright, P., Horn, S. and Sanders, W. (1997) Teacher and classroom context effects on student achievement: Implications for teacher evaluation,Journal of Personnel Evaluation in Education, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, no. 11, pp. 57–67.
- The condition of secondary school physics education in the Philippines: Recent developments and remaining challenges for substantive improvements
The Australian Educational Researcher
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 33-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hiroshima University, Japan