Mapping QTLs for pre-harvest sprouting tolerance on chromosome 2D in a synthetic hexaploid wheat×common wheat cross
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Based on segregation distortion of simple sequence repeat (SSR) molecular markers, we detected a significant quantitative trait loci (QTL) for pre-harvest sprouting (PHS) tolerance on the short arm of chromosome 2D (2DS) in the extremely susceptible population of F2 progeny generated from the cross of PHS tolerant synthetic hexaploid wheat cultivar ‘RSP’ and PHS susceptible bread wheat cultivar ‘88–1643’. To identify the QTL of PHS tolerance, we constructed two SSR-based genetic maps of 2DS in 2004 and 2005. One putative QTL associated with PHS tolerance, designatedQphs.sau-2D, was identified within the marker intervalsXgwm261-Xgwm484 in 2004 and in the next year, nearly in the same position, between markerswmc112 andXgwm484. Confidence intervals based on the LOD-drop-off method ranged from 9 cM to 15.4 cM and almost completely overlapped with marker intervalXgwm261-Xgwm484. Flanking markers near this QTL could be assigned to the C-2DS1-0.33 chromosome bin, suggesting that the gene(s) controlling PHS tolerance is located in that chromosome region. The phenotypic variation explained by this QTL was about 25.73–27.50%. Genotyping of 48 F6 PHS tolerant plants derived from the cross between PHS tolerant wheat cultivar ‘RSP’ and PHS susceptible bread wheat cultivar ‘MY11’ showed that the allele ofQphs.sau-2D found in the ‘RSP’ genome may prove useful for the improvement of PHS tolerance.
- Anderson JA, Sorrells ME, Tanksley SD, 1993. RFLP analysis of genomic regions associated with resistance to pre-harvest sprouting in wheat. Crop Sci 33: 453–459. CrossRef
- Baker RJ, 1981. Inheritance of seed coat color in eight spring wheat cultivars. Can J Plant Sci 61: 719–721. CrossRef
- Bailey PC, McKibbin RS, Lenton JR, Holdsworth MJ, Flintham JE, Gale MD, 1999. Genetic map locations for orthologousVP1 genes in wheat and rice. Theor Appl Genet 98: 28–284. CrossRef
- Flintham JE, 2000. Different genetic components control coat imposed and embryo-imposed dormancy in wheat. Seed Sci Res 10: 43–50.
- Flintham JE, Adlam R, Bassoi M, Holdsworth M, Gale M, 2002. Mapping genes for resistance to sprouting damage in wheat. Euphytica 126: 39–45. CrossRef
- Groos C, Gay G, Perretant MR, Gervais L, Bernald M, Dedryver F, Charmet G, 2002. Study of the relationship between pre-harvest sprouting and grain color by quantitative trait loci analysis in a white × red grain bread-wheat cross. Theor Appl Genet 104: 39–47. CrossRef
- Kato K, Nakamura W, Tabili T, Miura H, Sawada S, 2001. Detection of loci controlling seed dormancy on group 4 chromosomes of wheat and comparative mapping with rice and barley and wheat. Theor Appl Genet 102: 980–985. CrossRef
- Kosambi DD, 1944. The estimation of map distances from recombination values. Ann Eugen 12: 172–175.
- Kuwal PL, Singh R, Balyan HS, Gupta PK, 2004. Genetic basis of pre-harvest sprouting tolerance using single-locus and two-locus QTL analyses in bread wheat. Funct Integr Genomics 4: 94–101. CrossRef
- Lan XJ, Liu DC, Wang ZR, 1997. Inheritance in synthetic hexaploid wheat ‘RSP’ of sprouting tolerance derived fromAegilops tauschii Cosson. Euphytica 95: 321–323. CrossRef
- Lan XJ, Zheng YL, Liu DC, Wei YM, Yan ZH, Zhou YH, 2002. Tolerant Mechanism and Chromosome Location of Gene of Pre-harvest Sprouting Tolerance inAegilops tauschii Cosson. Sci Agri Sinica 35: 12–15.
- Lander ES, Green P, Abrahamson J, Barlow A, Daly MJ,. Lincoln SE, Newburg I, 1987. MAPMAKER: an interactive computer package for constructing primary genetic linkage maps of experimental and natural populations. Genomics 1: 174–181. CrossRef
- Liu DC, Lan XJ, Wang ZR, Zheng YL, Zhou YH, Yang JL, Yen C, 1998. Evaluation ofAegilops tauschii Cosson for preharvest sprouting tolerance. Genet Resour Crop Ev 45: 498–498.
- Miura H, Sato N, Kato K, Amano Y, 2002. Detection of chromosomes carrying genes for seed dormancy of wheat using the backcross reciprocal monosomic method. Plant Breeding 121: 394–399. CrossRef
- Mori M, Uchino N, Chono M, Kato K, Miura H, 2005. Mapping QTLs for grain dormancy on wheat chromosome 3A and the group 4 chromosomes, and their combined effect. Theor Appl Genet 110: 1315–1323. CrossRef
- Noda K, Matsuura T, Maekawa M, Taketa S, 2002. Chromosome responsible for sensitivity of embryo to abscisic acid and dormancy in wheat. Euphytica 123: 203–209. CrossRef
- Olsson G, 1975. Breeding for sprouting resistance in wheat. Proc 2nd Int Wheat Conf: 108–113.
- Osa M, Kato K, Mori M, Shindo C, Torada A, Miura H, 2003. Mapping QTLs for seed dormancy and the Vp1 homologue on chromosome 3A in wheat. Theor Appl Genet106: 1491–1496.
- Röder MS, Korzun V, Wendehake K, Plaschke J, Tixier MH, Leroy P, Ganal MW, 1998. A microsatellite map of wheat. Genetics 149: 2007–2023.
- Pestsova E, Ganal MW, Röder MS, 2000. Isolation and mapping of microsatellite markers specific for the D genome of bread wheat. Genome 43: 689–697. CrossRef
- Saghai-Maroof MA, Soliman K, Allard RA, 1984. Ribosomal DNA spacer length polymorphisms in barely: Mendelian inheritance, chromosome location and population dynamics. Proc Nat Acad Sci 81: 8014–8018. CrossRef
- Somers DJ, Peter I, Keith E, 2004. A high-density microsatellite consensus map for map for bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L). Theor Appl Genet 109: 1105–1114. CrossRef
- Sourdille P, Singh S, Cadalen T, Brown-Guedira GL, Gay G, Qi L, et al. 2004. Microsatellite-based deletion bin system for the establishment of genetic physical map relationships in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Funct Int Gen 4: 12–25. CrossRef
- Torada A, Shojiro I, Michiya K, 2005. Mapping and validation of PCR-based markers associated with a major QTL for seed dormancy in wheat. Euphytica 143: 251–255. CrossRef
- Wang DL, Zhu J, Li ZK, Pateson AH, 1999. Mapping QTLs with epistatic effects and QTL × environment interaction by mixed model approaches. Theor Appl Genet 99: 1255–1264. CrossRef
- Wang S, Basten CJ, Zeng ZB, 2007. Windows QTL Cartographer 2.5. Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. (http://statgen.ncsu.edu/qtlcart/WQTLCart.htm)
- Warner RL, Kurdna DA, Spaeth SC, Jones SS, 2000. Dormancy in white-grained mutants of Chinese Spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Seed Sci Res 10: 51–60.
- Watanabe N, Ikebata N, 2000. The effects of homoeologous group 3 chromosomes on grain colour dependent seed dormancy and brittle rachis in tetraploid wheat. Euphytica 115: 215–220. CrossRef
- Zanetti S, Winzeler M, Keller M, Keller B, Messmer M, 2000. Genetic analysis of pre-harvest sprouting in a wheat × spelt cross. Crop Sci 40: 1406–1417. CrossRef
- Mapping QTLs for pre-harvest sprouting tolerance on chromosome 2D in a synthetic hexaploid wheat×common wheat cross
Journal of Applied Genetics
Volume 49, Issue 4 , pp 333-341
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pre-harvest sprouting
- QTL mapping
- segregation distortion
- simple sequence repeat
- synthetic hexaploid wheat
- Triticum aestivum
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Triticeae Research Institute, Sichuan Agricultural University, Dujiangyan, 611830, Sichuan, China
- 2. Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Resources and Improvement, Ministry of Education, Sichuan Agricultural University, Sichuan, China