Seasonal and annual variation in the diet of the raccoon dogNyctereutes procyonoides in northern Belarus: the role of habitat type and family group
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To study variation in the diet of the raccoon dogNyctereutes procyonoides Gray, 1834 in northern Belarus, 3299 scats were sampled from 18 localities differing in habitat quality. In one of the 18 localities, the dietary study was conducted for nine years. The data obtained was analysed according to seasonality, between-year difference, family specificity and habitat influence. In northern Belarus, the raccoon dog was found to be a generalist predator with omnivorous and opportunistic feeding habits. Their diet was highly variable, but a common trait was specialization on carrion in winter and on berries in late summer. Beside carrion and berries, the other seasonally important food items were frogs, insects, plant matter, mammals, and birds. The diet varied between seasons and habitats. In the warm season, habitat factors, such as type of soil (clay or sand), proportion of lakes and open grassy marshes, seemingly determine the food supply for raccoon dogs, and thereby influence the diet of individuals. The obtained results on dietary variation of raccoon dogs can be used in detailed analysis of the impact of this introduced species on native fauna and its role in functioning of vertebrate communities.
- Böhme G. 1977. Zur Bestimmung quartärer Anuren Europas an Hand von Skelettelementen. Wissenschaftliche Zeitschrift der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Mathematisch-Naturwissenschaftliche Reihe 26: 283–300.
- Drygala F., Mix H. M., Stier N. and Roth M. 2000. Preliminary findings from ecological studies of the raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides) in eastern Germany. Zeitschrift Ökologie und Naturschutz 9: 147–152.
- Helle E. and Kauhala K. 1995. Reproduction in the raccoon dog in Finland. Journal of Mammology 76: 1036–1046. CrossRef
- Heptner V. G. and Naumov N. P. 1974. Die Säugetiere der Sowjetunion 2: 67–97.
- Jędrzejewska B. and Jędrzejewski W. 1990. Antipredatory behaviour of bank voles and prey choice of weasels — enclosure experiments. Annales Zoologici Fennici 27: 321–328.
- Jędrzejewska B. and Jędrzejewski W. 1998. Predation in vertebrate communities. The Białowieża Primeval Forest as a case study. Springer, Berlin: 1–450.
- Jędrzejewski W., Jędrzejewska B. and McNeish E. 1992. Hunting success of the weaselMustela nivalis and escape tactics of forest rodents in Białowieża National Park, Poland. Acta Theriologica 37: 319–328.
- Kauhala K. 1993. Growth size and fat reserves of the raccoon dog in Finland. Acta Theriologica 38: 139–150.
- Kauhala K. 1996. Introduced carnivores in Europe with special reference to central and northern Europe. Wildlife Biology 2: 197–204.
- Kauhala K. and Auniola M. 2001. Diet of raccoon dogs in summer in the Finnish archipelago. Ecography 24: 151–156. CrossRef
- Kauhala K. and Helle E. 1995. Population ecology of the raccoon dog in Finland — a synthesis. Wildlife Biology 1: 3–9.
- Kauhala K., Holmala K., Lammers W. and Schregel J. 2006. Home ranges and densities of medium-sized carnivores in south-east Finland, with special reference to rabies spread. Acta Theriologica 51: 1–13. CrossRef
- Kauhala K., Kaunisto M. and Helle E. 1993. Diet of the raccoon dog,Nyctereutes procyonoides, in Finland. Zeitschrift für Säugetierkunde 58: 129–136.
- Kozlo P. G. 1975. [The wild boar]. Uradzhaj, Minsk: 1–223. [In Russian]
- Kozlo P. G. 1983. [Ecological and morphological analysis of elk population]. Nauka i tehnika, Minsk: 1–215. [In Russian]
- Krebs C. 1998. Ecological methodology. Addison-Welsey Education Publishers Inc., New York. 1–620.
- Kruuk H. 1989. The social badger. Ecology and behaviour of a group-living carnivore (Meles meles). Oxford University Press, Oxford: 1–155.
- Levins R. 1968. Evolution in changing environments. Princeton University Press, Princeton: 1–295.
- Lindström E.R. 1983. Condition and growth of red foxesVulpes vulpes in relation to food supply. Journal of Zoology, London 199: 117–122. CrossRef
- März R. 1987. Gewoll- und Rupfungskunde. Akademie Verlag, Berlin: 1–398.
- Matveev A.V. 1990. [History of the relief forming in Belarus]. Nauka and Tehnika, Minsk: 1–274. [In Russian]
- Pavlov M. P., Korsakova I. B., Timofeev V. V. and Safonov V. G. 1974. [The acclimatisation of game animals and birds in USSR]. Volgo-vyatskoe knizhnoe izdatelstvo, Kirovskoe otdelenie, Kirov. [In Russian]
- Pucek Z. 1981. Keys to vertebrates of Poland. Mammals. Polish Scientific Publishers, Warsaw: 1–367.
- Rösner S., Selva N., Müller T., Pugacewicz E. and Laudet F. 2005. RavenCorvus corax ecology in a primeval temperate forest. [In: Corvids of Poland. L. Jerzak, Kavanagh B. P. and P. Tryjanowski, eds]. Bogucki Wydawnictwo Naukowe, Poznań: 385–405.
- Sasaki H. and Kawabata M. 1994. Food habits of the raccoon dogNyctereutes procyonoides viverrinus in a mountainous area of Japan. Journal of the Mammalogical Society of Japan 19: 1–8.
- Sidorovich V. E. 1989. [Mortality in elk population]. Zapovedniki Belorussii. Issledovaniya 13: 116–120. [In Russian]
- Sidorovich V. E. 2006. Relationship between prey availability and population dynamics of the Eurasian lynx and its diet in northern Belarus. Acta Theriologica 51: 265–274. CrossRef
- Sidorovich V. E., Polozov A. G., Lauzhel G. O. and Krasko D. A. 2000. Dietary overlap among generalist carnivores in relation to the impact of the introduced raccoon dogNyctereutes procyonoides on native predators in northern Belarus. Zeitschrift für Säugetierkunde 65: 271–285.
- Sidorovich V. E, Sidorovich A. A. and Izotova I. A. 2006. Variations in the diet and population density of the red foxVulpes vulpes in the mixed wood-lands of northern Belarus. Mammalian Biology 71: 74–89. CrossRef
- Sidorovich V. E., Solovej I. A., Pikulik M. M. and Lauzhel G. O. 2003a. Landscape and habitat related differences in the structure of community of small mammal and their consumers in transitional forest of northern Belarus. Westi NAN Belarusi, seria biylagichnih nawuk 3: 84–98. [In Russian with English summary]
- Sidorovich V. E., Vorobej N. N., Januta G. G., Sidorovich A.A., Solovej I. A. and Dyman A. A. 2007a. [Estimation of feeding impact of the raccoon dogNyctereutes procyonoides and wild boarSus scrofa on the populations of tetraonids in the conditions of northern Belarus]. Nature of Pskov Lands 23: 6–16. [In Russian]
- Sidorovich V. E., Vorobej N. N., Sidorovich A. A., Januta G. G. and Solovej I. A. 2007b. [Estimation of impact of naturalized predators (the American minkMustela vison and raccoon dogNyctereutes procyonoides) on waterfowl in northern Belarus]. Nature of Pskov Lands 23: 17–30. [In Russian]
- Sidorovich V. E., Tikhomirova L. L. and Jedrzejewska B. 2003b. WolfCanis lupus numbers, diet and damage to livestock in relation to hunting and ungulate abundance in northeastern Belarus during 1990–2000. Wildlife Biology 9: 103–111.
- Sokal R. R. and Rolf F. J. 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. W. H. Freeman and Company, New York: 1–887.
- Solovej I. A., Sidorovich V. E., Adamovich S. G. and Tihomirova L. L. 2003. Habitat and landscape-related differences in carrying capacity in transitional woodlands for community of small mammals and their predators. Westi NAN Belarusi, seria biylagichnih nawuk 2: 92–99. [In Russian with English summary]
- Solovej I. A., Sidorovich V. E., Pikulik M. M. and Marcinkevich G. I. 2001. Estimation of the landscape structure of Poozerie with implication on ecological carrying capacity of the habitats for vertebrate animals. Westi NAN Belarusi, seria biylagichnikh nawuk 4: 89–96. [In Russian with English summary]
- Teerink B. J. 1991. Hair of West-European mammals. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge: 1–224.
- Tumanov I. L. and Smelov V. A. 1980. The food connections of the mustelidae in the north-west of the RSFSR. Zoologicheskii Zhurnal, LIX, 10: 1536–1542. [In Russian with English summary]
- Viro P. and Mikkola H. 1981. Food composition of the raccoon dogNyctereutes procyonoides Gray, 1834 in Finland. Zeitschrift für Säugetierkunde 46: 20–26.
- Seasonal and annual variation in the diet of the raccoon dogNyctereutes procyonoides in northern Belarus: the role of habitat type and family group
Volume 53, Issue 1 , pp 27-38
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nyctereutes procyonoides
- raccoon dog