Use of dawn and dusk sight observations to determine colony size and family composition in Eurasian beaverCastor fiber
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The methods used to determine family composition and colony size in Eurasian beaverCastor fiber Linnaeus, 1758 are often poorly described in published reports. Here we show how repeated counts of colony size in a random sample of colonies (n = 19) varied between dusk and dawn, between the months of August and September, and following successive counts. Mean counts at dusk and the following dawn did not vary significantly, though mean colony size was significantly greater in August than September. However, because all colony members are rarely seen during a single dusk or dawn count, successive counts often provided new information about the maximum number in each age class. This allowed us to adjust colony size following each count using the largest values thus far obtained, with the result that the mean adjusted colony size increased during six successive counts over seven weeks from 2.4 to 3.8. Family composition based on information from all six counts was 54% adults, 26% yearlings and 19% kits. Evidence suggests that kits in particular are undercounted by this method. Figures for colony size and composition in beaver should be viewed with caution if not obtained by methods tested for both precision and accuracy.
- Brady C. A. and Svendsen G. E. 1981. Social behaviour in a family of beaver,Castor canadensis. Biological Behavior 6: 99–114.
- Brozdnyakov V. V., Skobelev A. A. and Shestun K. V. 1997. Population dynamics of the beaver in Samarskaya Oblast. Russian Journal of ecology 28: 245–249.
- Buech R. R. 1985. Methodologies for observing beavers (Castor canadensis) during the activity period. [In: Nocturnal mammals. R. P. Brookes, ed]. Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania: 29–34.
- Buech R. R. 1995. Sex differences in behaviour of beavers living in near-boreal lake habitat. Canadian Journal of Zoology 73: 2133–2143. CrossRef
- Busher P. E. 1983. Interactions between beaver in a montane population in California. Acta Zoologica Fennica 174: 109–110.
- Busher P. E., Warner R. J. and Jenkins S. H. 1983. Population density, colony composition, and local movements in two Sierra Nevadan beaver populations. Journal of Mammalogy 64: 314–318. CrossRef
- Djoshkin W. W. and Safonow W. G. 1972. Die biber der alten und neuen welt. Neue Brehm-Bücherei, Ziemsen Verlag, Wittenberg: 1–168. [In Ger man]
- Dunbar R. 1984. The ecology of monogamy. New Scientist 103: 12–15.
- Easter-Pilcher A. 1990. Cache size as an index to beaver colony size in Northwestern Montana. Wildlife Society Bulletin 18: 110–113.
- Gunson J. R. 1970. Dynamics of the beaver of Saskatchewan’s northern forest. MSc thesis, University Alberta, Edmonton: 1–122.
- Hartman G. 1997. Notes on age at dispersal of beaver (Castor fiber) in an expanding population. Canadian Journal of Zoology 75: 959–962. CrossRef
- Hay K. G. 1958. Beaver census methods in the Rocky mountain region. The Journal of Wildlife Management 22: 395–402. CrossRef
- Heidecke D. 1984. Investigations of ecology and population dynamics of the European beaver,Castor fiber albicus, Matschie, 1907. Part 1. Biological and population-ecological results. Zoological Jahrbücher Systematics 111: 1–41.
- Hodgdon H. E. and Larson J. S. 1973. Some sexual differences in behaviour within a colony of marked beavers (Castor canadensis). Animal Behaviour 21: 147–152. CrossRef
- Jackson M. D. 1991. Beaver dispersal in western Montana. MSc thesis, University of Montana, Missoula: 1–77.
- Johnsen J. and Kaasa H. K. 1991. [Population study of beaver in Bø Township 1990–1991]. BSc thesis, Telemark Distriktshøgskole, Bø: 1–155. [In Norwegian]
- Kile N. B. and Nakken P. J. 1995. [Colony and brood size of beaver (Castor fiber) in the Gautestad region of Evje-Hornes Township, Aust Agder County]. BSc thesis, Høgskolen i Telemark, Bø: 1–28. [In Norwegian]
- Kleiman D. G. 1977. Monogamy in mammals. Quarterly Review of Biology 52: 39–69. CrossRef
- McTaggart S. T. and Nelson T. A. 2003. Composition and demographics of beaver (Castor canadensis) colonies in central Illinois. American Midland Naturalist 150: 139–150. CrossRef
- Müller-Schwarze D. and Houlihan P. W. 1991. Pheromonal activity of single castoreum constituents in beaver,Castor canadensis. Journal of Chemical Ecology 17: 715–734. CrossRef
- Novak M. 1987. Beaver. [In: Wild furbearer management and conservation in North America. M. Novak, J. A. Baker, M. E. Obbard and B. Malloch, eds]. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Toronto, Ontario: 283–312.
- Olstad O. 1937. [Range of beaver (Castor fiber) in Norway]. Nytt magasin for naturvidenskapene 77: 217–273. [In Norwegian]
- Osmundson C. L. and Buskirk S. W. 1993. Size of food caches as a predictor of beaver colony size. Wildlife Society Bulletin 21: 64–69.
- Parker H. and Rosell F. 2001. Parturition dates for Eurasian beaversCastor fiber: when should spring hunting cease? Wildlife Biology 7: 145–149.
- Parker H., Rosell F., Hermansen T.A., Sørløkk G. and Staerk M. 2001. Can beaverCastor fiber be selectively harvested by sex and age during spring hunting? Pages 164–169. [In: The European beaver in a new millennium. A. Czech and G. Schwab, eds]. Proceedings of the Second European Beaver Symposium, 27–30 September, 2000, Białowieża, Poland.
- Parker H., Rosell F., Hermansen T.A., Sørløkk G. and Staerk M. 2002a. Sex and age composition of spring-hunted Eurasian beaver in Norway. The Journal of Wild life Management 66: 1164–1170. CrossRef
- Parker H., Rosell F. and Gustavsen Ø. 2002b. Errors associated with moose-hunter counts of occupied beaverCastor fiber lodges in Norway. Fauna norvegica Serie A. 22: 23–31.
- Patric E. F. and Webb W. L. 1960. An evaluation of three age determination criteria in live beavers. The Journal of Wildlife Management 24: 37–44. CrossRef
- Payne N. F. 1982. Colony size, age, and sex struc ture of Newfoundland beaver. Journal of Wildlife Management 46: 655–661. CrossRef
- Rosell F. 1994. Factors affecting territory size and scent marking behaviour in the European beaver (Castor fiber). MSc thesis, University of Trondheim, Norway: 1–33.
- Rosell F., Bergan F. and Parker H. 1998. Scent-marking in the Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber) as a means of territory defense. Journal of Chemical Ecology 24: 207–219. CrossRef
- Rosell F. and Bjørkøyli T. 2002. A test of the dear enemy phenomenon in the Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber). Animal Behaviour 6: 1073–1078. CrossRef
- Rosell F. and Parker H. 1995. Beaver management: present practice and Norway’s future needs. Telemark Colege, Bø, Norway: 1–137. [In Norwegian with an English summary]
- Rosell F. and Steifetten Ø. 2004. Subspecies discrimination in the Scandinavian beaver (Castor fiber): combining behavioral and chemical evidence. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82: 902–909. CrossRef
- Schulte B. A. 1993. Chemical communication and ecology of the North American beaver (Castor canadensis). PhD thesis, State University of New York, Syracuse: 1–194.
- Schulte B. A. 1998. Scent marking and responses to male castor fluid by beavers. Journal of Mammalogy 79: 191–203. CrossRef
- Semyonoff B. T. 1957. Beaver biology in winter in Archangel Province. Russian Game Reports 1: 71–92.
- Siegel S. and Castellan N. J. Jr 1988. Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York: 1–316.
- Sokal R. R. and Rohlf F. J. 1995. Biometry. The principles and practice of statistics in biological research. 3rd ed. W. H. Freeman and Company, New York: 1–887.
- Sun L. 1996. Chemical kin recognition in the beaver (Castor canadensis): behavior, relatedness and information coding. PhD thesis, State University of New York, Syracuse: 1–184.
- Sun L. and Müller-Schwarze D. 1997. Sibling recognition in the beaver: a field test for phenotype matching. Animal Behavior 54: 493–502. CrossRef
- Svendsen G. E. 1980. Population parameters and colony composition of beaver (Castor canadensis) in southeast Ohio. American Midland Naturalist 104: 47–56. CrossRef
- Townsend J. E. 1953. Beaver ecology in western Montana with special reference to movements. Journal of Mammalogy 34: 459–479. CrossRef
- Tyurnin B. N. 1984. Factors determining numbers of the river beaver (Castor fiber) in the European North. Soviet Journal of Ecology 14: 337–344.
- Wilson E. O. 1975. Sociobiology: the new synthesis. Belknap Press of Harvard University, Cambridge: 1–665.
- Wilsson L. 1971. Observations and experiments on the ethology of the European beaver (Castor fiber L.). Viltrevy 8: 115–266.
- Use of dawn and dusk sight observations to determine colony size and family composition in Eurasian beaverCastor fiber
Volume 51, Issue 1 , pp 107-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- population estimation
- colony size
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Environmental and Health Studies, Telemark University College, NO-3800, Bø i Telemark, Norway
- 2. Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Environmental and Health Studies, Telemark University College, NO-3800, Bø i Telemark, Norway
- 3. Department of Ecology and Natural Resource Management, Norwegian Uniwersity of Life Sciences, NO-1432, Ås, Norway