Neuroleptanesthesia versus thoracic epidural anesthesia for abdominal aortic surgery
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The hemodynamic consequences of abdominal aortic surgery with infrarenal crossclamping were studied in 21 patients randomized in two groups. In Group I (11 patients), neuroleptanesthesia was utilized, while Group II (10 patients) received thoracic epidural anesthesia at the T8-9 level. Hemodynamic measurements were performed using Swan-Ganz catheters during the surgical procedures in all patients, with special attention to the periods of clamping and unclamping of the abdominal aorta. The thoracic epidural anesthesia group was characterized by greater hemodynamic stability during surgery, while patients in the neuroleptanesthesia group had significant lability of blood pressure, heart rate, and cardiac index. Nevertheless, in the two groups of patients, it is suggested that cardiac function was unfitted to the tissue oxygen demand after unclamping of the aortic prosthesis because the saturation in oxygen of the mixed venous blood and an increase in arteriovenous difference in oxygen were documented. These results point out that, whatever the anesthesia technique, the critical period in abdominal surgery could be aortic unclamping.
- GOLDMAN L, CALDERA DL, NASSBAUMS SR, SOUTHWICK FS, CAPLAN CH, NOLAN J, CARABELLO B, SLATTER EE. Multifunctional index of cardiac risk in non cardiac surgical procedures.N Engl J Med 1977;297:845–850.
- WATERS J, WILKINSON C, GOLMAN M, SCHOEPPEL S, LINDE HW, BRUNNER EM. Evaluation of cardiac risk in non cardiac surgical patients.Anesthesiology 1981;55:A343. CrossRef
- MELOCHE R, POTTECHER T, AUDET J, DUFRESNE O, LE PAGE C. Hemodynamic changes due to clamping of the abdominal aorta.Canad Anaesth Soc J 1977;24:20–33. CrossRef
- SILVERSTEIN PR, CALDERA DL, CALLEN DJ, DAVISON JK, DARLING RC, EMERSON CW. Avoiding the hemodynamic consequences of aortic cross clamping and unclamping.Anesthesiology 1979;50:462–466. CrossRef
- ATTIA RR, MURPHY JO, SNIDER M, LAPPAS DG, DARLING RC, LOWENSTEIN E. Myocardial ischemia due to infrarenal aortic cross-clamping during aortic surgery in patients with severe coronary artery disease.Circulation 1976;55:961–965.
- KALMAN PG, WELLWOOD M, WEISEL RD, MORLEY-FORSTA PK, TEASDALE SJ, IVANOV J, JOHNSTON W, MclAUGHLIN PR, BAIRD RJ, CAIN JP, WALKER PM. Cardiac dysfunction during abdominal aortic operation: the limitations of pulmonary wedge pressures.J Vasc Surg 1986;3:773–781. CrossRef
- PETERSON A, BRANDT D, KIRSH MM. Nitroglycerin infusion during infrarenal aortic cross-clamping in dogs: An experimental study.Surgery 1978;84:216–223.
- REIZ S, PETER T, RAIS O. Hemodynamic and cardiometabolic effects of infrarenal aortic and common iliac artery unclamping in man—an approach to optimal volume loading.Acta Anaesth Scand 1979;23:579–586. CrossRef
- ZAIDAN JR, GUFFIER AV, PERDUE G, SMITH R, McNEILL DC. Hemodynamics of intravenous nitroglycerin during aortic clamping.Arch Surg 1982;117:1285–1288.
- REIZ S, BALFORS E, SORENSON MB, HAGGMARK S, NYHMAN H. Coronary hemodynamic effects of general anesthesia and surgery modification by epidural analgesia in patients with ischemic heart disease.Regional Anesthesia 1982;7:S8–18.
- LUNN JK, DANNEMILLER FJ, STANLEY TH. Cardiovascular responses to clamping of the aorta during epidural and general anesthesia.Anaesth Analg 1979;58:372–376. CrossRef
- REIZ S, BALFORS E, HAGGMARK S, NATH S, RYDVALL A, TRUEDSSON H. Myocardial oxygen consumption and coronary hemodynamics during fentanyl-droperidol-nitrous oxide anesthesia in patients with ischemic heart disease.Acta Anaesth Scand 1981;25:286–292. CrossRef
- HOTVEDT R, PLATON ES, REFSUM H. Effect of thoracic epidural anesthesia on cardiovascular function and plasma concentration of free-fatty acids and catecholamines in the dog.Acta Anaesth Scand 1984;28:132–137. CrossRef
- VICK MOH, OTTESEN S, RENCK H. Cardiac effects of thoracic epidural analgesia before and during acute coronary artery occlusion in open-chest dogs.Scand J Clin Lab Invest 29 1978;58:746–757.
- KLASSEN GA, BRAMWELL RS, BROMAGE PR, ZBOROWSKA SLUIS DT. Effect of acute sympathectomy by epidural anesthesia on the coronary circulation.Anesthesiology 1980;52:8–15. CrossRef
- REIZ S, NATH S, PONTEN E. Hemodynamic effects of prenalterol, a beta 1 adrenoreceptor agonist in hypotension induced by high thoracic epidural block in man.Acta Anaesth Scand 1979;23:93–96. CrossRef
- BUFFINGTON CW. The pressure-ratio predicts myocardial ischemia in the presence of severe coronary stenosis.Anesthesiology 1985;65:A-69.
- BRISMAR B, BERGENWALD L, GRONESTRAND K, JORFELDT L, JUHLIN-DANNFELT A. The cardiovascular effects of neuroleptanalgesia.Acta Anaesth Scand 1977;21:100–108. CrossRef
- SIVARAJAN M, ARMORY DW, LINDBLOOM LE, SCHWETTMANN RS. Systemic and regional blood flow changes during spinal anesthesia in the rhesus monkey.Anesthesiology 1975;45:78–88. CrossRef
- SHIMOSATO S, ETSEN BE. The role of venous system in cardiocirculatory dynamics during spinal and epidural anesthesia in man.Anesthesiology 1969;50:619–628. CrossRef
- REIZ S, NATH S, PONTEN E, FRIEDMAN A, BACKLAND U, OLSSON B, RAIS O. Effects of thoracic epidural block and beta-1-adrenoreceptor agonist prenaltoerol on the cardiovascular response to infrarenal aortic cross-clamping in man.Acta Anaesth Scand 1979;23:395–403. CrossRef
- BONICA JJ, BERGES PV, MORIKAWA KI. Circulatory effects of epidural block I: effects of level of analgesia and dose of lidocaine.Anesthesiology 1970;33:619–627. CrossRef
- BIBER B, MARTINER J. Hemodynamic consequences of defense area stimulation and afferent somatic nerve stimulation during fentanyl nitrous oxide anesthesia. Modifying effects of droperidol.Acta Anaesth Scand 1981;25:336–343. CrossRef
- REIZEN MF, HORRIGAN RW, FRAZER BM. Anesthetic doses blocking adrenergic (stress) and cardiovascular response to incision MAC BAR.Anesthesiology 1981;54:390–3988. CrossRef
- BUSH HL, LO TOWNE JB GERFO FW, WEISEL RD, MANNICK JA, HECHTMAN HB. Assessment of myocardial performance and optimal volume loading during elective abdominal aortic aneurysm resection.Arch Surg 1977;112:1301–1306.
- DUNN E, PRAGER RL, FRY W, KIRSH MM. The effect of abdominal aortic cross-clamping on myocardial function.J Surg Res 1977;22:463–468. CrossRef
- KAPLAN R, WELLO PH. Early diagnosis of myocardial ischemia using the pulmonary artery catheter.Anesth Analg 1981;60:789.
- SUNDBERG A, WATTWIL M, WIKLUND L. Hemodynamic effects of intravenous bupivacaine during high thoracic epidural anesthesia.Acta Anaesth Scand 1987;31:143–1477. CrossRef
- Neuroleptanesthesia versus thoracic epidural anesthesia for abdominal aortic surgery
Annals of Vascular Surgery
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 214-219
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- abdominal aorta
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anesthesia, Hôpital Henri Mondor, 94010, Creteil, France
- 2. Department of Intensive Care, Hôpital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
- 3. Department of Vascular Surgery, Hôpital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France