The paleoclimatic events and cause in the Okinawa Trough during 50 kaBP
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Planktonic foraminiferal δ18O record for core DGKS9603 from the Okinawa Trough shows a series of climatic fluctuations and sudden cooling events in short time scale during 50 kaBP, which appear to correlate closely to the Younger Dryas and Heinrich events H1–5 recorded in Chinese loess, the South China Sea, the North Atlantic cores and the Greenland ice cores. Three polarity reversal events, correlating to Gothenburg, Mungo and Laschamp events, approximately correspond to Heinrich events H1, H3 and H5 respectively, which could be a cause of global climate changes. The δ18O curve of the Okinawa Trough is well associated with the grain size record of the Lijiayuan loess profile in northwestern China and is somewhat different from the climate fluctuations documented in the Greenland ice cores. These correlation results indicate that regional factors play an important role in controlling the climate changes in the East Asia, and the East Asian Monsoon could be the prominent regional controlling factor.
- Heinrich, H., Origin and consequences of cyclic ice rafting in the northeast Atlantic Ocean during the past 130 000 year rafting, Quaternary Research, 1988, 29: 142. CrossRef
- Broecker, W., Bond, G., Klas, M. et al., Origin of the northern Atlantic’ s Heinrich events, Climate Dynamics, 1992, 6: 265. CrossRef
- Dansgaard, W., Johnson, S. J., Clausen, H. B. et al., Evidence for general instability of past climate from a 250 kyr ice-core record, Nature, 1993, 364: 218. CrossRef
- Stuiver, M., Grootes, P. M., Braziunas, T. F., The GISP218O climate record of the past 16 500 years and the role of the sun, ocean and volcanoes, Quaternary Research, 1995, 44: 341. CrossRef
- Bond, G., Broecker, W. S. et al., Correlation’s between climate records from North Atlantic sediments and Greenland ice, Nature, 1993, 365: 143. CrossRef
- Grimm, E. C., Jacobson, G. L., Watts, W. A. et al., A 50 000 a record of climate oscillations from Florida and its temporal correlation with the Heinrich events, Science, 1993, 261: 198. CrossRef
- Porter, S. C., An, Z. S., Correlation between climate events in the North Atlantic and China during the last glaciation, Science, 1995, 357: 305.
- Guo, Z. T., Liu, D. S. et al., Heinrich-rhythm pulses of climates recorded in loess of the last two glaciations, Quaternary Research of China (in Chinese with English abstract), 1996, 1: 21.
- Lu, H. Y., Guo, Z. T., Wu, N. Q., Paleomonsoon evolution and Heinrich events: evidence from the loess plateau and the South China Sea, Quaternary Research of China (in Chinese with English abstract), 1996, 1: 11.
- Liu, Z. X., Saito, Y., Li, T. G. et al., Millennial-scale paleoceanography in Okinawa Trough during Late Quaternary period, Chinese Science Bulletin, 1999, 44(18): 1705. CrossRef
- Stuiver, M., Reimer, P. J., Bard, E. et al., INTCAL98 radiocarbon age calibration 24 000-0 cal BP, Radiocarbon, 1998, 40: 1041.
- Laj, C., Mazaud, A., Duplessy, J. C., Geomagnetic intensity and14C abundance in the atmosphere and ocean during the past 50 kyr, Geophysical Research Letters, 1996, 23: 2045. CrossRef
- Martinson, D. G. et al., Age dating and the orbital theory of the ice age: development of a high resolution 0 to 300 000 year chronostratigraphy, Quaternary Research, 1987, 27: 1. CrossRef
- Thompson, P. R., Planktonic foraminifera in the western North Pacific during the past 150 000 year, comparison of modern fossil assemblages, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 1981, 35: 241. CrossRef
- Wang, P. X., Bian, Y. H., Li, B. H. et al., The Younger Dryas in the west Pacific magical seas, Science in China, Ser. D, 1996, 39(5): 522.
- Zhou, J., Zhou, W., Chen, H. et al., Evidence for Asian summer monsoon precipitation instability of the Younger Dryas phase, Chinese Science Bulletin, 1999, 44(9): 849. CrossRef
- Li, Y. F., Zhang, Q. S., Li, B. Y. et al., Ostracod fauna and environmental changes during the past 17000 years in the western Tibet, Geographic Acta, 1994, 49(1): 46.
- Wang, S.M., Ji, L., Shan, X. D. et al., The record of Younger Dryas event in lake sediments from Jalai Nur, Inner Mongolia, Chinese Science Bulletin, 1994, 39(10): 832.
- Zou, W. J., Li, X. Q., Dong, G. R. et al., High resolution peat record of Sanxi desert-loess transition zone in the Younger Dryas, Science in China, Ser. D (in Chinese), 1996, 26(2): 118.
- Yang, Z. H., Yao, T. D., Huang, C. L. et al., The younger Dryas event record in Guliya ice-core, Chinese Science Bulletin (in Chinese), 1997, 42(18): 1975.
- Lund, D. C., Mix, A. C., Millennial-scale deep water oscillations: Reflections of the North Atlantic in the deep Pacific from 10 to 60 ka, Paleoceanography, 1998, 13: 10. CrossRef
- Ding, Z. L., Ren, J. Z., Liu, T. S. et al., The millennial-scale irregular change and its mechanism in monsoon-desert in the late Pleistocene, Science in China, Ser. D (in Chinese), 1996, 26(5): 385.
- Ding, Z. L., Sun, J. M., Rutter, N. W. et al., Changes in sand content of loess deposits along a north-south transect of the Chinese Loess Plateau and the implications for desert variations, Quaternary Research, 1999, 52: 56. CrossRef
- Fang, X. M., Dai, X.R., Li, J. J. et al., Emergency and instability of East Asia monsoon, Science in China, Ser. D, 1996, 26(2): 154.
- Li, P. Y., Wang, Y. X., Liu, Z. X., Chronostratigraphy and deposition rates in the Okinawa Trough region, Science in China, Ser. D, 1999, 42(4): 408.
- Moner, N. A., Geomagnetic excursion during last 140000 yrs, Quaternary Research, 1981, 11: 48.
- Zu, R.X., Gu, Z.Y., Huang, B. C. et al., The long period chang of the magnetic field of the earth and the climate variation in Beijing area during the last 15 000 yrs, Science in China, Ser. B (in Chinese), 1993, 23(12): 1316.
- Mcelhinny, B. et al., Evidence of a geomagnetic excursion 30 000 yr BP, Nature, 1972, 163: 565.
- Li, P. Y., Liu, B. Z., Liu, L. J. et al., Magnetostratigraphy of the coastal loess of Dalian, China and its paleoclimatic significance, Acta Oceanologica Simca, 1996, 15(4): 493.
- Hall, C. M., Yor, D., K-Ar and 40Ar–39Ar ages of the Laschamp geomagnetic polarity reversal, Nature, 1978, 271: 452. CrossRef
- Liu, Z. X., Berne, S., Saito, Y. et al., Quaternary seismic stratigraphy and paleoenvironments on the continental shelf of the East China Sea, J. of Asian Earth Sciences, 2000, 18: 441. CrossRef
- Jin, X. L. (ed.), Marine geology of the East China Sea (in Chinese), Beijing: China Ocean Press, 1992, 525.
- Yang, Z. G. et al., Quaternary stratigraphy in the shelf of the Yellow Sea, in Quaternary Stratigraphy in China and Its International Correlation (in Chinese), Beijing: Geological Publishing House, 1996, 31–55.
- The paleoclimatic events and cause in the Okinawa Trough during 50 kaBP
Chinese Science Bulletin
Volume 46, Issue 2 , pp 153-157
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science in China Press
- Additional Links
- Okinawa Trough
- sudden paleoclimatic change events
- polarity reversal events
- Late Quaternary
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Key Laboratory of Marine Science and Numerical Modeling, State Oceanic Administration (SOA), 266003, Qingdao, China
- 2. First Institute of Oceanography, SOA, 266003, Qingdao, China
- 3. Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 266003, Qingdao, China
- 4. Taiwan University, Taibei, China
- 5. French Oceanographic Institute, IFREMER, 29280, Plouzane, France
- 6. Geological Survey of Japan, 305-8567, Tsukuba, Japan