Enhancement of mixing by microbubble emission boiling in a microfluidic device
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of microbubble emission boiling (MEB) on the mixing of two fluids in a microfluidic device was studied experimentally. When MEB occurred on an electric heater made of a platinum wire with a diameter of 30 micrometers, the mixing of the two fluids increased markedly. However, nucleate boiling had no significant effect on the mixing. A high-speed video showed that the very rapid growth and collapse of micro boiling bubbles on the heater causes the strong mixing of the two fluids. The coexistence of highly superheated and highly subcooled water near the heater seems to be the reason for such enhanced mixing.
- Chaktranond, C., Fukagata, K., Kagagi, N., Performance assessment and improvement of a split-and-recombine micromixer for immunomagnetic cell sorting, J. Fluid Science and Technology, Vol 3, No. 8 (2008) 1008–1019 CrossRef
- Hamanaka, O. and Kato, H., Quantitative evaluation of mixing efficiency of split-and-recombine mixing method, 3rd Int. Conf. on Microchannels and Minichannels, ASME, Toronto, ICMM2005-75053 (2005).
- Jin, Z., Simeya, S., Okamoto, K., and Hu, H., Mixing enhancement in a microfluidic device, J. Visualization, Vol. 11, No. 1 (2008) 35–36.
- Koizumi, Y., Shimoju, N., and Ohtake, H., Study on micro pump using boiling bubbles in microchannel, Therm. Sci. & Eng., Vol. 12, No. 4 (2004) 63–64.
- Shoji, M., Tange, M., Watanabe, M., Yuasa, M., and Takagi, S., Microbubble emission boiling: Fundamental features and its possible application to microchannel cooling device, HEAT2005 Gdansk, Poland, June 2005.
- Stroock, A.D., Dertinger, S. K.W., Ajdari, A., Mezic, I., Stone, H. A., and Whitesides, G. M., Chaotic mixer for microchannels, Science, 295 (2002) 647–651 CrossRef
- Tan, W.-H., Suzuki, Y., Kasagi, N., Shikazono, N., Furukawa, K., and Ushida, T., A lamination micromixer for μ -immunomagnetic cell sorter, JSME Int. J., Ser. C, Vol. 48 (2005), 425–435. CrossRef
- Enhancement of mixing by microbubble emission boiling in a microfluidic device
Journal of Visualization
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 267-274
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Microfluidic device
- Microbubble emission boiling