Role of flow visualization in the development of UNICORN
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes how visualizations have been used in the development and evaluation of a reacting-flow-simulation model known as UNICORN (UNsteady Ignition and COmbustion with ReactioNs). UNICORN, which solves full Navier-Stokes equations, has evolved over a 6-year period and is perhaps one of the most thoroughly evaluated codes of its kind. It evolved hand-in-hand with experiments that have been conducted to test its ability to predict ignition, extinction, and the dynamic characteristics of diffusion and premixed flames of hydrogen, methane, and propane fuels and that are stabilized in different ways. This paper also describes how UNICORN has been used, in conjunction with experiments, to provide new insights into combusting flows. Also, predictions of unobserved phenomena that were later confirmed by experiments are described. This paper demonstrates that the judicious use of a well-validated simulation in conjunction with laser based diagnostics is an effective way of understanding complex combusting flows.
- Bahadori, M. Y., Zhou, L., Stocker, D. P. and Hegde, U., “Measurements of Flame Flicker Under Different Gravitational Levels,” Proceedings of the 1996 Fall Technical Meeting of the Eastern States Section of The Combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, (1996), 451–454.
- Carter, C. D., Goss, L. P., Hsu, K. Y., Katta, V. R. and Trump, D. D., Paper No. 080, Proceedings of the Combined Central States/Western States/Mexican National Sections Meeting of the Combustion Institute, April 23–26 (1995).
- Davis, R. W., Moore, E. F., Roquemore, W. M., Chen, L.-D., Vilimpoc, V. and Goss, L. P., “Preliminary Results of a Numerical-Experimental Study of the Dynamic Structure of a Buoyant Jet Diffusion Flame,” Combustion and Flame, 83, 3/4, (1991), 263–270. CrossRef
- Durbin, M. D., Vangsness, D., Ballal, D. and Katta, V. R., “Study of Flame Stability in a Step Swirl Combustor,” Transactions of the ASME: Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbine and Power, 118, (1996), 308. CrossRef
- Ellzey, J. L., Laskey, K. J. and Oran, E. S., “Dynamics of an Unsteady Diffusion Flame: Effects of Heat Release Rate and Viscosity,” in Dynamics of Deflagrations and Reactive Systems: Flames, A. L. Kahl, J. C. Leyer, A. A. Borisov, and W. A. Sirgnano, Eds., Vol. 131, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, (1989), 179, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington, D. C.
- Goss, L. P., Vilimpoc, V., Sarka, B. and Lynn, W. F., “Thin-Filament Pyrometry: A Novel Thermometric Technique for Combusting Flows,” ASME Trans., J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power, 111, (1989), 46. CrossRef
- Grisch, F., Attal-Tretout, B., Bouchardy, P., Katta, V. R. and Roquemore, W. M., “A Vortex-Flame Interaction Study Using Four-Wave Mixing Techniques,” J. Nonlinear Opt. Phys. Mater., 5(3), (1996), 505. CrossRef
- Hirschfelder, J. O., Curtiss, C. F. and Bird, R. B., Molecular Theory of Gases and Liquids, (1954), Chapters 8 and 9, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Hottel, H. C. and Hawthorne, W. R., “Diffusion in Laminar Flame Jets,” Third Symposium (International) on Combustion, Flame and Explosive Phenomena, The Combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, (1949), 254–266.
- Hsu, K. Y., Chen, L.-D., Katta, V. R., Goss, L. P. and Roquemore, W. M., “Experimental and Numerical Investigations of the Vortex-Flame Interactions in a Driven Jet Diffusion Flame,” AIAA Paper 93-0455, Reno, Jan., 11–16 (1993).
- Kaplan, C. R., Oran, E. S., Kailasanath, K. and Ross, H. D., “Gravitational Effects on Sooting Diffusion Flames,” 26th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, (1996), 1301–1309 .
- Katta, V. R. and Roquemore, W. M., “Role of Inner and Outer Structures in a Transitional Diffusion Flame,” Combustion and Flame, 92, 2, (1993), 274–282. CrossRef
- Katta, V. R., Goss, L. P. and Roquemore W. M., “Effect of Nonunity Lewis number and Finite-Rate Chemistry on the Dynamics of a Hydrogen-Air Jet Diffusion Flame,” Combustion and Flame, 96, 1–2, (1994a), 60–74. CrossRef
- Katta, V. R., Goss, L. P. and Roquemore, W. M., “Numerical Investigations of Transitional H2/N2 Jet Diffusion Flames,” AIAA Journal, 32, 1, (1994b), 84–94. CrossRef
- Katta, V. R., Goss, L. P. and Roquemore, W. M., “Simulation of Vortical Structures in a Jet Diffusion Flame,” International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, 4, 5, (1994c), 413. CrossRef
- Katta, V. R. and Roquemore, W. M., “On the Structure of StretchedCompressed Laminar Flamelet Influence of Preferential Diffusion,” Combustion and Flame, 100, 1, (1995), 61. CrossRef
- Katta, V. R. and Roquemore, W. M., “Numerical Studies on Trapped-Vortex Concepts for Stable Combustion,” Trans. ASME: J. Eng. Gas Turb. Power 120, (April, 1998a), 60. CrossRef
- Katta, V. R. Hsu, K. Y. and Roquemore, W. M., “Local Extinction in an Unsteady Methane-Air Jet Diffusion Flame,” 27th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, Boulder, CO, Aug (1998b). 2–7.
- Law, C. K., “Heat and Mass Transfer in Combustion: Fundamental Concepts and Analytical Techniques,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Sciences, 10, 3, (1984), 295–318. CrossRef
- Lee, S., Flow-Flame Interactions of Transitional Nitrogen Diluted Hydrogen Jet Diffusion Flames, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, December (1992).
- Leonard, B. P., “A Stable and Accurate Convective Modeling Procedure Based on Quadratic Upstream Interpolation,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 19, 1, (1979), 59–98. CrossRef
- Patnaik, G. and Kailasanath, K., “Numerical Simulations of Burner-Stabilized Hydrogen-Air Flames in Microgravity,” Combustion and Flame, 99, 10, (1994), 247–253. CrossRef
- Peters, N. and Williams, F. A., AIAA J. 21:423 (1983). CrossRef
- Peters, N., “Flame Calculations with Reduced Mechanisms An Outline,” in Reduced Kinetic Mechanisms for Applications in Combustion Systems, Lecture Notes in Physics, Vol. 15, (1993), 3–14, Springer-Verlag, New York. CrossRef
- Roquemore, W. M., Chen, L-D., Goss, L. P. and Lynn, W. F., “Structure of Jet Diffusion Flames,” Turbulent Reactive Flows, edited by R. Borghi and S. N. B. Murthy, Lecture Notes in Engineering, Vol. 40, (1989), 49–63, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Spalding, D. B., “A Novel Finite Difference Formulation for Difference Expressions Involving Both First and Second Derivatives,” International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering, 4, (1972), 551. CrossRef
- Takagi, T. and Xu, Z., “Numerical Analysis of Laminar Diffusion Flames,” Effects of Preferential Diffusion of Heat and Species,” Combustion and Flame, 96, 1 and 2, (1994), 50–59. CrossRef
- Takagi, T., Yoshikawa, Y., Yoshida, K., Komiyama, M. and Kinoshita, S., “Studies on Strained Nonpremixed Flames Affected by Flame Curvature and Preferential Diffusion,” 26th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, (1996), 1103–1110.
- Takahashi, F. and Schmoll, W. J., “Lifting Criteria of Jet Diffusion Flames,” Twenty-Third Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, Pennsylvania, PA, (1991), 677.
- Takahashi, F. and Katta, V. R., “A Numerical Investigation of the Stabilizing Mechanism of Methane Jet Diffusion Flames,” AIAA Paper 97-0251, 35th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, January 6–10, Reno, NV, (1997).
- Takahashi, F., Schmoll, W. J. and Katta, V. R., “Attachment Mechanisms of Diffusion Flames,” 27th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, Boulder, CO, Aug. 2–7 (1998).
- Vilimpoc, V. and Goss, L. P., “SiC-Based Thin-Filament Pyrometry: Theory and Thermal Properties,” Twenty-Second Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, (1988), 1907–1914.
- Williams, F. A., Combustion Theory — The Fundamentals of Chemically Reacting Flow Systems, (1985), Appendix E, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, MA.
- Yamashita, H., Kushida, G. and Takeno, T., “A Numerical Study of the Transition of Jet Diffusion Flames,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, 431, 1882, (1990), 301314. CrossRef
- Yule, A. J., Chigier, N. A., Ralph, S., Boulderstone, R. and Ventura, J., “Combustion-Transition Interaction in a Jet Flame,” AIAA Journal, 19, 6,(1981), 752–760. CrossRef
- Role of flow visualization in the development of UNICORN
Journal of Visualization
Volume 2, Issue 3-4 , pp 257-272
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- laser diagnostics